Monthly Payment Program Begins at WDW

FuseFly.com

We are AP'ers in Illinois. I do wish they'd make this available for us, but I understand their desire to lure in the locals. Although, I don't know how much money is really spent by locals vs. out of state AP'ers. We go three trips in one year. We stay at a variety of resorts for a minimum of 8 nights each trip...those trips can vary though from Pop to Yacht & other places in between, but always on property.

But I know we are probably in the minority. I don't know what the percentage is of out of state AP'ers. However, I imagine there are a lot of people in Florida within an easy drive to WDW that don't have AP's. If they can add all of those people by offering this payment option then good for them.

It's nice to hear other AP's from "up North" make the trek more than twice a year. We are from Ohio - large family (2 Adults and 5 Kids) and we go 3 to 4 times a year and stay for extended times on property typically 3 weeks each trip.

Can't wait to get back in September! See ya there.

Tom

Beta Return
It's nice to hear other AP's from "up North" make the trek more than twice a year. We are from Ohio - large family (2 Adults and 5 Kids) and we go 3 to 4 times a year and stay for extended times on property typically 3 weeks each trip.

Can't wait to get back in September! See ya there.

GOOD GRIEF! I presume you're either self-employed or work for the government? Where ever you work, I want an application! 9-12 weeks of vacation time each year. Wow! :)

FuseFly.com

GOOD GRIEF! I presume you're either self-employed or work for the government? Where ever you work, I want an application! 9-12 weeks of vacation time each year. Wow! :)

We run an online curriculum program for homeschoolers. So we work where ever we are and of course the kids do their school on the computers. Working on property presents many problems - using our aircard is difficult with terrible Sprint coverage (except Downtown Disney). And outlets are next to non-existent.

You can find me either working in the Pop Century dining area or in September above on the second floor above the front doors at WL.

"... we had no money and no jobs. We solved the problem by going into business for ourselves" WED

Took his advice - btw sitting through One Man's Dream is very inspirational! Sorry it will be closed in Sept.

Tom

Beta Return
We run an online curriculum program for homeschoolers. So we work where ever we are and of course the kids do their school on the computers. Working on property presents many problems - using our aircard is difficult with terrible Sprint coverage (except Downtown Disney). And outlets are next to non-existent.

You can find me either working in the Pop Century dining area or in September above on the second floor above the front doors at WL.

"... we had no money and no jobs. We solved the problem by going into business for ourselves" WED

Took his advice - btw sitting through One Man's Dream is very inspirational! Sorry it will be closed in Sept.

Very impressive. Congratulations on your success and for achieving the American dream!

MrsGracey

Because if someone is going to WDW for their once every few years vacation they could simply by the annual pass with the monthly plan pay the price of one ticket per person enjoy their ten day trip and close out their credit card when they get home. Limiting it to FL residents reduces the likelihood of this happening.
Yep...that is why.

devoy1701

I think devoy1701 meant those people who haven't had AP's and now that they can make 'easy' monthly payments they think they can squeeze it into their budget. Some can, some can't. If people know they can't really affoard the AP but they go for it anyway...they may get in over their head. If they never had AP's before and now they decide to get them, they will have the added expenses associated with trips to Disney...even if they are day trips..you'll still have some expenses. These are expenses they didn't have in their budget prior to having their AP's. Now if you already have an AP and decide to go for the monthly payments you'll be fine because you were prepared to purchase AP's already and knew what you were getting into. I don't think devoy meant to imply all people would get in over their head, only those who foolishly thought they could suddenly affoard AP's.

Yep! that's what I meant! There are people who KNOW they can't afford $390 for an AP. But when you now tell them you're only asking for $30/month, they think that's great! But of course you've also now added about $1,000 a year in other expenses that come from visiting Disney with an annual pass such as meals, snacks, souveniers, etc.

Not saying everyone...just saying some. Like people who purchased 2-year Interest-Only home loans and could swing $300/month payments...but all the sudden balk when in Year 3 they now have $2000/month payments and their original loan amount is more than what they signed on for 2 years before that!

I've already heard this advertised on the radio btw...I think this might be the death of any slow seasons that might be left at WDW...not that there were many... :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yep! that's what I meant! There are people who KNOW they can't afford $390 for an AP. But when you now tell them you're only asking for $30/month, they think that's great! But of course you've also now added about $1,000 a year in other expenses that come from visiting Disney with an annual pass such as meals, snacks, souveniers, etc.

Not saying everyone...just saying some. Like people who purchased 2-year Interest-Only home loans and could swing $300/month payments...but all the sudden balk when in Year 3 they now have $2000/month payments and their original loan amount is more than what they signed on for 2 years before that!

I've already heard this advertised on the radio btw...I think this might be the death of any slow seasons that might be left at WDW...not that there were many... :shrug:

And just what sort of balloon payments is Disney going to hit purchasers of APs with on this purchase plan?

devoy1701

And just what sort of balloon payments is Disney going to hit purchasers of APs with on this purchase plan?

that's entirely not the point I'm making, thank you.

My point is that if you couldn't afford the $390 lump sum payment, you probably shouldn't be buying the pass on a monthly plan either.

But that's society today...people want things now...whether they can afford it or not. Those who shouldn't be buying it are just going to put the AP on a credit card and not even actually pay the $30 month...they'll just let it add every month to their card while making the minimum payment every month. :brick:

it's sad.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

My point is that if you couldn't afford the $390 lump sum payment, you probably shouldn't be buying the pass on a monthly plan either.

But that's society today...people want things now...whether they can afford it or not. Those who shouldn't be buying it are just going to put the AP on a credit card and not even actually pay the $30 month...they'll just let it add every month to their card while making the minimum payment every month. :brick:

it's sad.

Well, that's simply your opinion, and not a matter of fact.......

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't even know how to argue with someone like you on the subject....and even if I did, it's definitely not worth it.

Well, you could try actual facts, and not the usual intransigent pratter that seems to infiltrate these discussions....

Epcotian

devoy may not be stating it as diplomatically as possible, but I think the point being made is correct. There's a reason car dealers now stress the monthly payment in their advertisements instead of the price of the vehicle: To get people who really can't afford the vehicle to buy in. Likewise, a lot of people on limited budgets who know they can't afford a $390 AP (or whatever it is) might just buy into that monthly payment, and Disney's counting on that being the case.

Now, for those who CAN afford the lump sum, I can see this being a nice convenience.

I just can't help thinking that if a theme park AP is getting so expensive that monthly payments are needed or are desirable, they've gotten too expensive.

Tom

Beta Return

it's sad.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with your assessment...er, opinion.

People are going to buy the AP with this deal, use it, and then walk away from it. Disney is placing their bets that even if people do that, they'll generate enough revenue on those few early trips to make up for it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personally I like the idea. devoy1701 is unfortunately correct that some people will over extend themselves with this but that is not Disney's fault. We have been asking for this for quites some time and Disney is just giving us what we have been asking for. If we renew this year I will more than likely renew using the payment plan. Our renewal date is always in December an $1100 expenditure just before Christmas, planned or not, is always a hard pill to swallow. Having it broken down into a monthly payment with no interest takes away the sting at no extra cost.

fruitcake

This is an amazing idea and works great for me. We were going to purchase 2 adult and 1 child fl res weekday select passes in November when we arrive. We are already planning a trip next May, so we knew that these were the passes that were the cheapest and best for us. Now instead of having to save up the $520, I love this idea and can now purchase our passes within the next month. It is still something that we were going to do anyways, but spreading out just made it a little bit easier. We usually have our hotel paid off before we go and don't stretch beyond our means when we go. I can see where this might prove to be a disaster for people that really can't afford to go, but for us, it is brilliant.

sweetpee_1993

I'm certain there will be those who over-extend or sign on then let the credit card go. There's always those who either don't care or who have unforseen circumstances that pop up and throw a monkey wrench in the best laid plans.

We maintain our residency in Florida and have for several years. We usually purchase the FL Seasonal Passes. In our case, it's not that we can't afford the passes or that we don't have the money in the bank to pay for them outright. Personally, I'd rather leave my money in the bank where it's drawing interest. Then, after I get home I can do without a couple trips to Starbucks each month, stretch my nail appointments to every 3 weeks, and cook on one of our weekly pizza nights to more than cover the monthly payment. That keeps a nice little chunk o'change working for us and we still accomplish the same thing.

Just another perspective. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom