Monstropolis Coming to DHS?

wdwfan4ver

I have a hard time seeing Monstopolis being announced for DHS in the next 10 years. While the 2 monster Inc. movies hit movies in the box office, I think the Franchise isn't Disney's biggest priority for new attractions in terms of DHS and right now Disney wants WDW ready for its 50th anniversary besides DHS. Right now, I expect Disney announcing new lands for DHS in 2021 or 2023, but not anytime before than.

If there is any upcoming lands for DHS outside of Star Wars Land Expansion, I would be guessing Indiana Jones. The next Indiana Jones Movie is happening is happening in 2019 and I'm guessing Disney wants to see the box office results for that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Something that I have been pondering over since the plans for TSL and SWL were announced was the Star Wars Land Effect (my term :)). At one time, insiders @1023 in particular (whatever happened to him/her?), were hinting at future phases 3 and 4 of the DHS metamorphosis. Now, according to some of @marni1971's posts, any chance of that happening immediately following SWL seems to have been put on hold for the near term.

I think that this might have something to do with how the masses react to SWL. We all are aware of how popular Star Wars is - there is no denying this fact. What will be interesting to see is exactly HOW popular it is in the theme park world. This will be easily observable since DL's version will open before the DHS's version does. This could be unprecedented in terms of popularity. I was surprised to see the amount of people lined up to see Pandora, and that was from a stand-alone film from a decade ago that completely fell out of pop culture. Now take those crowds and multiply them by, oh I don't know, a thousand?

I can only imagine what the crush of people in this expansion will be like. Maybe the hunger for a land like this will be so great that more Star Wars will be ordered. If able to choose between a second Star Wars expansion or a Monstropolis expansion in DHS, I would bet that more people would want a further expanded SWL than Mike and Sully - just my honest opinion. Especially after the rich level of detail and immersion is experienced, including what might be premier ride experiences, my bet is that the average park goers will want more Star Wars.

Is it something that I personally would want? I don't know, as I would really like a well-balanced park, with multiple lands harboring different IPs. However, if another Star Wars area were to be added with details and a ride (or two) equal to what this initial expansion appears to have…well…that could be a harder decision than we all think.
Phase three and four seem to have gone when the money was invested in a proper SWL and the location moved.

Afaik three (pre planned) was to have been where LMA used to be and was Pixar themed. Four (blue sky) was animation courtyard and building and was adventure themed.

Haymarket2008

Phase three and four seem to have gone when the money was invested in a proper SWL and the location moved.

Afaik three (pre planned) was to have been where LMA used to be and was Pixar themed. Four (blue sky) was animation courtyard and building and was adventure themed.

Monstropolis & Indy, right?

cheezbat

I could care less about the phase 3 plans...but bring on the phase 4 plans!

the.dreamfinder

Honestly, I am okay with RRC being replaced with Monsters, Inc. If they are going to fill Hollywood Studios with IPs, I rather have more Pixar and Disney cartoon themed lands. Also, I am not a fan of RRC or Aerosmith. I think it is logical to replace the Aerosmith theme. They are an older rock band. Their popularity will continue to fade throughout the years. I understand the same thing can happen with IPs. However, Disney can easily keep their IPs more relevant than an old band.
Where exactly does DHS' SWE have room to expand without taking out existing offerings?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Honestly, I am okay with RRC being replaced with Monsters, Inc. If they are going to fill Hollywood Studios with IPs, I rather have more Pixar and Disney cartoon themed lands. Also, I am not a fan of RRC or Aerosmith. I think it is logical to replace the Aerosmith theme. They are an older rock band. Their popularity will continue to fade throughout the years. I understand the same thing can happen with IPs. However, Disney can easily keep their IPs more relevant than an old band.
Didn't hurt The Rolling Stones...

TP2000

Not so much Monstropolis. More Pixar Place on steroids. The door coaster was part of the plan.

It may be surprising for some WDW fans to realize how close Monstropolis and the Door Coaster was to fruition at Disneyland Resort a few years ago. Miceage had broken the story in early '13 (as I remember it), and then a few months later very early one morning WDI put up a dozen height test balloons around the DCA area Miceage had said Monstropolis was planned for. This was at the same time Star Wars was being planned for Disneyland's Tomorrowland (Autopia/Submarine area, which also got WDI height test balloons very early one morning). And then Monstropolis stalled, and then it died completely as Star Wars grew in size and budget and got moved to the opposite side of Disneyland.

Now DCA's future lies with Marvel, but it's not surprising that the advanced plans for the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster could still be pulled off the shelf at WDI for DHS or any other park around the world. Jim Hill may have something here.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It may be surprising for some WDW fans to realize how close Monstropolis and the Door Coaster was to fruition at Disneyland Resort a few years ago. Miceage had broken the story in early '13 (as I remember it), and then a few months later very early one morning WDI put up a dozen height test balloons around the DCA area Miceage had said Monstropolis was planned for. This was at the same time Star Wars was being planned for Disneyland's Tomorrowland (Autopia/Submarine area, which also got WDI height test balloons very early one morning). And then Monstropolis stalled, and then it died completely as Star Wars grew in size and budget and got moved to the opposite side of Disneyland.

Now DCA's future lies with Marvel, but it's not surprising that the advanced plans for the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster could still be pulled off the shelf at WDI for DHS or any other park around the world. Jim Hill may have something here.
It also popped up for DCA again last year.

mousekedoc

Imagine, if you will, a time and WDW park that is based on acquired IPs. Pixar, Lucas films, maybe Jim Henson. Central Hub a homage to the Mouse that started it all. If Marvel contract wasn't so convoluted, It would fit here. But don't we all see the future of all things Marvel exclusively at DCA? This leaves DHS to be home to all Pixar flotsam and jetsam, all things SW with some Indiana Jones thrown in for good measure. And if Jim Henson properties can be made profitable, they'll stay beyond the 2024 cycle, if not cheap to change signage for Indiana Jones era/theming.

KrazyKat

When I saw them still leaving parts of SOA in tact and refurbishing it I thought maybe, just maybe this was going to be Monstropolis but there isn't enough room.
597bb1e392e895e3b71e574c3a74191e.jpg

brb1006

When will people realize Jim Hill is full of crap? Even if this is a being talked about it's nothing more than an idea and wouldn't be fleshed out until 2024 or later. To be completely honest I see an expansion to Starwars land being developed before this project would get off the ground.
He can be right every once in a while though. I mostly lesson to his podcasts to learn new info about Disney that even I never known about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom