Monsters, Inc. - Laugh Floor Previews Has Begun

Logan5

i remember going to grad night (graduated 95) and seeing the walls up...
I was so excited i went home, and made an AE t shirt ...
Coolest disney logo and font...
I have to say alien encounter lived up to the hype...
Because of its originality, because it was realy unlike anything that had been there before....

Oh well...

To bad they couldnt think of colonial stitch huh? :lol:

I would trade the presidents for AE in a heartbeat.

imagineer boy

At any rate...I will happily concede your point that Monsters Inc requires a "stretch" to match the theming around it. Will you concede mine that Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain (about which everyone who hits this "out of place" tom-tom remains noticeably silent) require an equal amount of stretchiness? Consistency is all I ask.

Haunted Mansion and Splash mountain are a slight stretch, but Monsters Inc is a HUGE stretch. Haunted Mansion works because the architecture of the exterior fits with the surrounding area. And there are a lot of haunted locations in historic Colonial areas on the east coast. Splash mountian is a bit of a stretch because its cartoony. It works because 1. Log Flumes are often associated with Western themed lands. 2. The imagineers managed to seemlessly blend the exterior to have a blend of a rustic western looking and a cartoony mountain. Monsters doesn't work because 1. Monsters in closets are more associated with children's bedtime imagination things. 2. "Laugh Floor Comedy Club" does not blend in with the surroundings at all. Maybe "Intergalactic Comedy Club" would've been better.

askmike1

Haunted Mansion works because the architecture of the exterior fits with the surrounding area.
As opposed to the Laugh Floor?

And there are a lot of haunted locations in historic Colonial areas on the east coast.
And I'm sure there will be comedy clubs in the future (especially the one that never was and always will be).

Splash mountian is a bit of a stretch because its cartoony. It works because 1. Log Flumes are often associated with Western themed lands.
Nothing says "Wild Wild West" like a water ride set in the south sometime after the Civil War.

Monsters doesn't work because 1. Monsters in closets are more associated with children's bedtime imagination things.
And please tell me how Tom Morrow, a time machine, or anything else in Tomorrowland is more realistic and not imaginary? Tomorrowland has dropped any realistic themes back in the mid-90s when it changed to 'The Future that Never Was and Always Will Be'.

Epcot82Guy

I have to throw one more argument out here that is frustrating the heck outta me from some people.

We are arguing MI fits because there will be comedy clubs in the future. So, this is a depiction of the/an actual future. :veryconfu Last time I checked, TL was meant as a presentation of the future that never was after the 94 rehab. It is the fantasy future. Frankly, what really will be in the future has little to no bearing on TL as of now. (If it did, I would argue that IASW would fit since the World will likely be part of our future. Mansion, too, since ghosts aren't going anywhere. and we can keep going). It is a fantastic presentation based on prior ideas. I really haven't seen any science fiction writer that has depicted the monsters under the bed as (a) being real and (b) coming out to live among society (let alone starring in a comedy club). Men flying through space with jetpacks, teleportation, time travel, etc. are all well represented in Jules Verne and his cohorts. If we are going to argue that things will be in the future, please come on board with me in my criticisms of some current Epcot trends. Somehow, though, I don't think many agree with the two sides.

Having said that, I am not in disagreement with having a comedy club set in the future. That concept works. In fact, had Stitch taken over this attraction, I think I might have been more amenable to the change. Some intergallactic stars heckled and taunted by Stitch could have been quite funny and at least would be showcasing a space alien (albeit a modern one).

CThaddeus

I'm with you Epcot82guy. Future World has lost its way (don't get me started on Test Track) and The Laugh Floor appears to be a step in the same direction for Tomorrowland. Up to this point, I've had no issues with the replacements done - Buzz is cartoon futuristic and features characters from outer space (ie. The Little Green Men, Zurg, and all the ETs you're shooting at) and Stitch is fine because it also depicts characters from outer space. Once upon a time I didn't have a problem with the Indy Speedway, either (because it has been in Tomorrowland since the opening of Disneyland). But now I'd rather they link it to Fantasyland. It just seems to make more sense to me. People can play word games and equate Monsters Inc. characters to aliens and thus belonging in Tomorrowland all they want. It still doesn't make it even remotely futuristic. And to the poster who argued we'd still be complaining if it were put in Fantasyland or Disney-MGM, I disagree completely. I'd be thrilled to see it in either of those other venues...as long as it didn't kill off another attraction in doing so. And, unlike some others, I'm not against using characters for attractions IF it is done well and appropriately. Timekeeper worked perfectly for Tomorrowland (in my opinion), and its loss is a real shame. Making it a meet and greet was just deplorable. Replacing it with an attraction that has no connection whatsoever to space, the future, etc. just seems to smack of cheap promotionalism for their movie. It feels forced, and Disney is going to have to work darned hard to make me feel it does belong in Tomorrowland (and here comes the argument - it's going there anyway so therefore it fits).

nibblesandbits

For all of you who believe that this will not fit in Tomorrowland, while it may seem as a streach to you, (which I do see your point, but also disagree with you.) the main question we have to ask ourselves is what is the non-Disneyfanatics going to think? Are they going to think that Monsters don't fit in Tomorrowland? I'm going to venture a guess and say no. Are they going to think that "ugh...it's another video screen?" I'm going to guess no. Are they going to think that Disney is doing Pixar overkill? Once again...I'm going to say no.

However, I do agree with a lot of you. I really hope that Disney realizes that they could be in a trend of Pixar saturization. Especially with Midway Mania on it's way. I don't have a problem with them using characters to enhance rides...but I do believe that they need to use Pixar characters sparingly...at least in the near future. Otherwise they may experience a backlash. Because even the general public may tire of it...and that is not something the Disney corporation wants I'm sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom