Monsters Inc Laugh Floor Concept Art

Microwind

Just found this on the new Disney Parks site:

This is concept Art for the upcoming Monsters Inc show at the Magic Kingdom!

comedy_club.jpg

Can I have the link to this website?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As Wannab said, it seems to be a release to capture the overall feel and theming of the attraction, not a snapshot parse of the interior. Without going into the overall theme and Tomorrrowland, for which Wannab would chastise me, it does seem to suggest a heavily themed environment. Time will tell :D

-SIR-

I thought they would be using the circlevision screen from timekeeper? I really want to like this but it just looks lame to me. It looks like we are getting turtle talk on a larger scale with monster's inc characters. I was hoping for a cool 360 degree screen with lots of obvious action and special effects. Still its not finished and just because its not what I expected doesnt mean it wont be good. .... That really doesnt look like concept art to me though...

matthope03

I will save my judgement until it actually opens. I must say though, that at least this space will be open and used, unlike when timekeeper was there. It might be a really good show for kids.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought they would be using the circlevision screen from timekeeper?
By all accounts unfortunatley the Circlevision infrastructure was removed. Guess we`ll have to wait and see. One thing I do know is structurally the building is circular - a great deal of work (as in strating from scratch) would need to be done to make it anything but a circular room - unless it`s made smaller.

that at least this space will be open and used, unlike when timekeeper was there
Indeed. But who let From Time to Time sit unused? The CV theatre must have been one of the least CM intensive attractions to date for it`s hourly capacity, and what price is the upkeep of a paltry 2 AAs, 9 projectors and some dry ice?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A note...

Usually, when we see concept art it is a hand drawn or painted thingy. That gives it a more artful appeal. It also tends to make it a smidge on the unrealistic side.

This appears, from what i can tell, to be a rendered view pulled out of a design program like autoCAD or something. It means they've got the 3D space built, the textures for various items mapped, and yes - there are programs that go and and hang and point little lights and fixutes in that space. You just position your 'camera' and go "click" just like you were taking a real photo. The lights tend to come off a little harsh, and so do some lines/object, but you get an idea of a real space...

wannab@dis

There is plenty of reason to think its going to be a bad attraction especially since it looks to be following the footsteps of Stitch's Great Escape. Even the damn logo looks the same!
Plenty of reasons? How do you get PLENTY of reasons to not like an attraction BEFORE it's even built from a single picture.
comedy_club.jpg

Please tell everyone how that picture has enough details for you to not like the attraction.

I just can't figure out how some of you can even enjoy a trip to WDW with the amount you complain about EVERYTHING.

kcnole

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this attraction fits just fine in the current incarnation of tomorrowland. I'll go over it again. First you have to realize that we don't have the pre-1994 version of tomorrowland anymore, the version that was about a more accurate portrayal of fictional tomorrow. What the 94 refurb brought is is better portrayed as science fiction land. Here's how the attraction fits.

Tomorrowland of today is themed as a complete city of the future as seen through the sci fi filter of yesterday. The TTA is the mass transport system of this city. Space Mountain can be seen as the airport of the future utilizing space instead of the skies. SGE is the prison/military holding cell where prisoners from all across the galaxy are transported to and from military/prison holding areas. You've got a large monument in the center to the federation of planets, and every city needs its entertainment district and that's where the monsters inc characters have setup shop.

The monsters have always been a part of earth but lying on a different plane of existence where they use doors to interact within the human plane of existence capturing children's screams to power their city. After discovering that laughter does a better job, they decide what better way to capture energy than to create a comedy club and place it inside the human plane of existence. In the sci fi future this wouldn't be such a shock to mankind to discover, I mean we've already got aliens being transported around and alien barbershops so what extra fear do monsters elicit.

In this version of tomorrowland, the only things really out of place are the racetrack and CoP although if you want to stretch it, CoP could be seen as an interactive museum of history.

ms7479a

Tomorrowland of today is themed as a complete city of the future as seen through the sci fi filter of yesterday.

Brilliant explanation of Tomorrowland. It makes me sick to see how quickly some people are to criticize Disney. From what I have read on this thread and others it seems as though nothing Disney ever does can ever be good enough. It seems that people always find a problem with everything DIsney does. Why can't people just accept the things that Disney creates? Just because you don't like the idea of a show/ride doesn't mean that it is a bad idea. Disney has been in the entertainment business for a long time. Who are we to criticize what they do? People need to stop being so ungrateful and start appreciating the fact that Disney is constantly trying to update and improve the parks.

imagineer99

This is attraction is gonna rock. I mean, Turtle Talk techonlogy? In a full theatre show? Count me in.

With the exception of Everest, Turtle Talk is the best thing to hit Disney in the past five years.

kevlightyear

Brilliant explanation of Tomorrowland. It makes me sick to see how quickly some people are to criticize Disney. From what I have read on this thread and others it seems as though nothing Disney ever does can ever be good enough. It seems that people always find a problem with everything DIsney does. Why can't people just accept the things that Disney creates? Just because you don't like the idea of a show/ride doesn't mean that it is a bad idea. Disney has been in the entertainment business for a long time. Who are we to criticize what they do? People need to stop being so ungrateful and start appreciating the fact that Disney is constantly trying to update and improve the parks.

:sohappy: :sohappy:
Now if only those people would read this, realize it applies to them, and take it to heart, we'd all enjoy a much less negative forum.

imagineer boy

kcnole said:
The monsters have always been a part of earth but lying on a different plane of existence where they use doors to interact within the human plane of existence capturing children's screams to power their city. After discovering that laughter does a better job, they decide what better way to capture energy than to create a comedy club and place it inside the human plane of existence. In the sci fi future this wouldn't be such a shock to mankind to discover, I mean we've already got aliens being transported around and alien barbershops so what extra fear do monsters elicit.

I've seen people state that same idea again and again, and I think its just WAY too much of a stretch. It just-I don't konw, it just doesn't work for me. And might I remind people that Monsters Inc takes place in the PRESENT judgeing by Boo's room style. Definately not in the future.

WDWparadetech1

Possibly, but why would you have par cans in the concept art. Par cans would suggest live or AA performance.

I really don't see where the lighting is the main focus .:veryconfu

Ok the par cans are to light the stage floor and for ambieance not for actual people. Maybe a source four 50 degree to light a cm doing a intro for the show but thats about it. Those par cans are most likely to light set pieces. Plus you wouldnt use a par can to light a person the beam is not that good for spotting. In this case you would use a S4 with either a 26, 36, or 50 degree barrel depending on the height of the instrument.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ok the par cans are to light the stage floor and for ambieance not for actual people. Maybe a source four 50 degree to light a cm doing a intro for the show but thats about it. Those par cans are most likely to light set pieces. Plus you wouldnt use a par can to light a person the beam is not that good for spotting. In this case you would use a S4 with either a 26, 36, or 50 degree barrel depending on the height of the instrument.

Good point. Leave it to an expert to know the difference. :lol: :wave:

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
Plenty of reasons? How do you get PLENTY of reasons to not like an attraction BEFORE it's even built from a single picture.

Please tell everyone how that picture has enough details for you to not like the attraction.

First of all that picture looks retarded and I have some doubts that it is actual concept art for the attraction. Its not even about the picture though, its about everything that has been revealed about the attraction from disney so far. All the descriptions and promo art evoke memories of when Stitch's great escape was about to open.

wannab@dis said:
I just can't figure out how some of you can even enjoy a trip to WDW with the amount you complain about EVERYTHING.

I go to WDW to enjoy the few good things it has left and to check out the new stuff (Everest and Soarin are good additions at least). Its more for nostalgia reasons for anything else now. I remember when I used to go to WDW in the early 90s..when Epcot still had a unified theme and there was more original content in the parks as opposed to the overwhelming amount of tie-in's to pixar films. I have fealing things are changing at Disney but its going to take some time for John Lasseter & co. to restore the company to its former glory.

I don't understand how people can have so much hatred for a picture. The picture looks like what it was supposed to be.....a comedy club! There are seats, tables with small ambience lighting, and a stage.

I don't see any reason to have such a large hatred for it until it is finished and you have viewed the attraction for yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom