Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

RSoxNo1

It's in the cards, but has not been green lit. Frankly, I think attention is going to have to shift away from DHS causing this to be delayed if not shelved, but that's based purely on speculation.

SeaCastle

can someone please post the link to the article. i can't find it =(

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...et-ready-for-wdw-s-monstrous-new-coaster.aspx

It's in the cards, but has not been green lit. Frankly, I think attention is going to have to shift away from DHS causing this to be delayed if not shelved, but that's based purely on speculation.

From everything I've read from insiders either on WDWMagic or Laughing Place, it seems this one is revving its engines.

Fable McCloud

I wasn't aware of how DHS might be set-up for expansions...forgive me.

I was just thinking about how the Pixar area looked and what a mess it would be if they decided to expand there.

Sorry to offend or cause hilarity at my own expense and naivete about parks other than MK...:cry:

captainkidd

I wasn't trying to be funny or rude. Just honest. Disney can literally do whatever they feel is necessary on any of that property they own. There's always room to expand. No doubt, there are certain areas it would be VERY difficult to expand, but I don't see DHS as one of them. That entire backstage area is a complete waste of space.

Now do not hate, but I was in DHS back in August and went over to Toy Story to see if it was open (this was when it was being refurbished). There was a cast member out front and I went up to her and we talked a bit about what they were doing to Toy Story.

I asked her about the Monsters In Coaster. She told me that it wasn't a coaster at all, it was going to be a ride like Soarin. Think of something that would lift riders in the air, twist them and move them but not propel them forward like a coaster. And the ride was going to be about the Door Warehouse scene.

Now the footprint for a ride like this is smaller than the one needed for a coaster. The total area of the two Soarin theaters is much smaller than the area that RNRC takes up. So it would fit right into Pixar Place nicely.

The question I think is not if this is coming or not, But a question of when.

Imagineer6

Jim Hill just announced the construction of the Monsters Inc. Coaster to be open for the WDW 40th anniversary in the fall of 2011. Does he know what he is talking about, or is it just more rumor? Has anyone else heard anything today?

Do you follow much of Jim Hill? If you did then you would have no doubt in what he is talking about. This is most likely true, and is almost green lit. The problem is, Monsters inc. is now nine years old, and they could use a sequel for it. Much like with Cars Land, they are coming out with a Cars 2. At this point, Disney could pull the rug from underneath this one at any point.

Imagineer6

:confused:

There's tons of space near the backlot tour area. Disney owns the property. They can expand any of the WDW parks any way they want to.
What I also heard from Jim is that Disney could use that space to build a smaller version of Cars Land, possibly with just Radiator Springs Racers.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Do you follow much of Jim Hill? If you did then you would have no doubt in what he is talking about. This is most likely true, and is almost green lit. The problem is, Monsters inc. is now nine years old, and they could use a sequel for it. Much like with Cars Land, they are coming out with a Cars 2. At this point, Disney could pull the rug from underneath this one at any point.

Monsters Inc 2 is scheduled for release Nov 2, 2012.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2877&p=.htm

WDWfanatic89

hmmm. all this coaster talk. I'm not a big fan of coasters and i never fell in love with monsters inc for some reason. it just never clicked with me as for newer disney movies. i still much prefer the older disney movies. anything that walt produced was gold, and when he died the company took a massive downwards spiral by the end of the 70's. thank god roy disney was able to rebuild the empire his uncle had founded along with his dad. the pixar stuff is great, but i'd much prefer seeing a Carsland in DHS then another coaster. Just seems like a much better idea, or even something themed to Wall-E. Disney already has a Monsters Inc. attraction in Tomorrowland, and even at that, I really don't like that attraction. I wish a 360 Film would come back there as its intended. clearly disney knows they'll replace it eventually as they left all the screen up and just covered them up temporarly. it can easily be reconverted thank god! :)

rct247

:confused:

There's tons of space near the backlot tour area. Disney owns the property. They can expand any of the WDW parks any way they want to.

While there is room to expand into the backlot tour area if it were to close, there are still other things back there that will probably need to remain unless they find a new home such as the scenic and costuming shops, park operations buildings, maintenance base, and some parking areas for when cast parking out front is used for guests.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District released an extensive document with maps recently that shows which areas Disney can expand and where it can't on its property. The only area Disney's Hollywood Studios can expand is a small area across the highway that runs behind the park. Much of the property is reserved for conservation or is unsuitable because it sits in a 100-year flood plain and would require proper drainage and flood control measures as well as land build up.

So, basically, Disney can't do whatever they want with the land and can't always expand like many people think they can. If you are interested in finding this document, it is on the Reedy Creek Improvement District website under either the 2010 comprehensive plan or the 2020 comprehensive plan. I forget.

NYwdwfan

Much of the property is reserved for conservation or is unsuitable because it sits in a 100-year flood plain and would require proper drainage and flood control measures as well as land build up.

So it's not that they can't, it's that people are projecting that they won't since it would require a lot of other infrastructure development. I'm not saying I don't agree with you (that they won't) - I'm just pointing out the distinction.

SeaCastle

So it's not that they can't, it's that people are projecting that they won't since it would require a lot of other infrastructure development. I'm not saying I don't agree with you (that they won't) - I'm just pointing out the distinction.

Good point. The whole of the Walt Disney World resort was probably deemed unsuitable before Disney moved in and started building the Magic Kingdom. Like MasterYoda said, you can build anything...but someone just needs to write a check for it.

I heard construction won't start until 2012

Hollywood Studios just had a milestone anniversary last year. The next milestone isn't until 2014.

The sequel comes out in Dec. 2012. Hmmmmm.... :drevil:

Now do not hate, but I was in DHS back in August and went over to Toy Story to see if it was open (this was when it was being refurbished). There was a cast member out front and I went up to her and we talked a bit about what they were doing to Toy Story.

I asked her about the Monsters In Coaster. She told me that it wasn't a coaster at all, it was going to be a ride like Soarin. Think of something that would lift riders in the air, twist them and move them but not propel them forward like a coaster. And the ride was going to be about the Door Warehouse scene.

Now the footprint for a ride like this is smaller than the one needed for a coaster. The total area of the two Soarin theaters is much smaller than the area that RNRC takes up. So it would fit right into Pixar Place nicely.

Gosh, I hope not. :brick:

SeaCastle

The Soarin' hangar and Rock n' Rollercoaster showbuilding are nearly the same sizes, and a showbuilding that size would require major infrastructure changes in the area (it would not fit into the building that houses Toy Story Midway Mania).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom