Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Tom

Beta Return
I'm not well versed in construction/engineering jargon but that makes a lot of sense...certainly a lot more than those permits signaling the construction of the ride and the Jim Hill rumor. :lol:

I'm very well versed in the jargon - because construction is my life :)

There are only two options when they reference "trusses" in a permit.

1) One option would be an actual steel truss that makes up part of the roof system (in a soundstage it would be one of the giant horizontal steel beams that holds up the roof decking, and usually consists of a top and bottom chord, with "zig-zagging" steel rods between them).

2) The other type of truss would be an architectural one. A "pretty" one, if you will. Sort of like one a professional DJ would use to hang lights over his setup. A few pipes in a triangle configuration with zig-zag rods between them.

Since this permit said "truss and curtain work" I can only guess that it's Truss #2 - an architectural one that's holding up a curtain - much like the ones they have up around the Epcot meet-n-greet, or like they had behind Sorcerer Mickey when he used to greet guests at SS1 (as mentioned earlier).

It strikes me as being odd that they didn't say "demolition of...." since that would better describe the work if they're removing something. "Truss and curtain work" along with "electrical work" makes me think "new".

I guess we'll see. :p

mp2bill

I think this topic has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads and now the same people as just making the same points.

SeaCastle

1) One option would be an actual steel truss that makes up part of the roof system (in a soundstage it would be one of the giant horizontal steel beams that holds up the roof decking, and usually consists of a top and bottom chord, with "zig-zagging" steel rods between them).

2) The other type of truss would be an architectural one. A "pretty" one, if you will. Sort of like one a professional DJ would use to hang lights over his setup. A few pipes in a triangle configuration with zig-zag rods between them.

Since this permit said "truss and curtain work" I can only guess that it's Truss #2 - an architectural one that's holding up a curtain - much like the ones they have up around the Epcot meet-n-greet, or like they had behind Sorcerer Mickey when he used to greet guests at SS1 (as mentioned earlier).

It strikes me as being odd that they didn't say "demolition of...." since that would better describe the work if they're removing something. "Truss and curtain work" along with "electrical work" makes me think "new".

Thank you for the explanation! I was quite confused as to what "truss" was referring to. I was only familiar with the first kind.

Another item of note is that a short time ago, permits were also filed for roof work on Soundstage One. I thought this was linked to the MI coaster but after seeing an aerial photo here, it seems more like typical building maintenance than new construction, which the permits in question seem to be suggesting.

The location of the Monsters, Inc. coaster is the building in the upper left corner of the image.

zweltar

I heard the Imagineers are building a portal in Sound Stage 1 that will transport guests to multiple locations, including Beastly Kingdom, the FLE for Boys, and an EE with a working Yeti! I can't wait for this to open tomorrow!!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

:lookaroun

aladdin2007

Sounds like the SSE descent to me :brick: truss and curtains.

EPCOTCenterLover

Let's hope this proposed coaster is better than Crush's in WDSP. It IS a really fun ride, but it is short and the theming drops off way too early.

Hollywood Studios needs something really great that doesn't rely on film or 3D.

JCtheparrothead

I was at WDW visiting a friend that works in the corporate world of disney (Not a bus driver or ride operator) and they said the MOnster Inc Coaster is Planned, designed, and ready to go but it has no solid location yet. Once that is figured out then it's off to the races....err doors!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
wow this thread has gone far from when it started. :) I just heard a rumor :):)

I was at WDW visiting a friend that works in the corporate world of disney (Not a bus driver or ride operator) and they said the MOnster Inc Coaster is Planned, designed, and ready to go but it has no solid location yet. Once that is figured out then it's off to the races....err doors!

Yes, one that was discussed ad naseum in another thread......

It has a location. It just needs the funding and the logisitcs. Neither of which will be available until (at the earliest) the FL expansion has been completed.

disneysroyal411

Yes, one that was discussed ad naseum in another thread......

It has a location. It just needs the funding and the logisitcs. Neither of which will be available until (at the earliest) the FL expansion has been completed.

Won't this be good that it opens late because of Monsters Inc. 2 coming out later in time. So the releases will be simultaneous, maybe?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Won't this be good that it opens late because of Monsters Inc. 2 coming out later in time. So the releases will be simultaneous, maybe?

Yes, and that possibility was idscussed as well. Although the timing may not work out quite right with all of the other work TDO is undertaking....

disneysroyal411

Yes, and that possibility was idscussed as well. Although the timing may not work out quite right with all of the other work TDO is undertaking....

Sorry to be the dunce at the moment, I'm also sleepy. But could someone remind what TDO is? Anyway if they could launch an awesome MI coaster it would boost sales largely. I just realized that Disney's reply to WWoHP is Carsland, all the way across the nation in the wrong place! That stinks O well, we are already planning our vacation for our 2012 Labor Day vacation trip there, soooo I'll be riding it then and give updates then! Two years away but I'm already super excited.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sorry to be the dunce at the moment, I'm also sleepy. But could someone remind what TDO is? Anyway if they could launch an awesome MI coaster it would boost sales largely. I just realized that Disney's reply to WWoHP is Carsland, all the way across the nation in the wrong place! That stinks O well, we are already planning our vacation for our 2012 Labor Day vacation trip there, soooo I'll be riding it then and give updates then! Two years away but I'm already super excited.

Team Disney Orlando.

Carsland was in production and planned well before WWoHP.

And the MI2 movie will sell well, with or without the coaster. Just like Toy Story 3 will be a hit. But an MI2 coaster would certainly help the stature of DHS, and Pixar Place there......

disneysroyal411

Team Disney Orlando.

Carsland was in production and planned well before WWoHP.

And the MI2 movie will sell well, with or without the coaster. Just like Toy Story 3 will be a hit. But an MI2 coaster would certainly help the stature of DHS, and Pixar Place there......

Yes, definitely. Also, I still think that Disney's attendance might drop a little bit this year, but I see Disney to still be doing better then Universal altogether next year, just because it's Disney.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yes, definitely. Also, I still think that Disney's attendance might drop a little bit this year, but I see Disney to still be doing better then Universal altogether next year, just because it's Disney.

I don't think WDW is going to suffer that mightly, if any. It's still the top amusement park destination, and has the better assortment of parks, restaurants and hotels as opposed to Universal.

IWant2GoNow

I agree with some on here that the only drop in attendance will be at DHS or DAK. I don't think it's going to effect MK or Epcot at all, they might even increase.

Hopefully the MI coaster gets announced this fall for 2012. I have no insider info about it, but it seems logical to me. That would give DHS 2 new ride experiences in 2 years (ST2 & MI), and if you want to get real technical, 3 new rides (TSMM, ST2, & MI) in 4-5 years. I think it's great progress for DHS especially amongst the FLE and all. And if Potter does as well as it should, Disney should be announcing something for DAK soon (next 3 years) enough.

Bocko57

I missed DHS last year so I cannot remember the size or location of SS1. But instead of an actual coaster, could it be similar to the Simpson's Ride with 3D or how about the Spiderman Ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom