Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Cosmic Commando

That is why I don't feel that the number of rides a resort has is the best way of comparing DL/WDW. A simple tally of rides doesn't take into account other significant factors regarding the rides that make them unique.
Like @TP2000 said, we could argue for years about what is an E-Ticket or C-Ticket, etc. That's why the simple tally is useful... because it can be finished! The counter argument to "Heimlich's is no SSE" is that if Disneyland pulls ahead on these simple rides that shouldn't even really count, how come WDW doesn't do the same? MK has more visitors than even DL, but do an attraction count between MK and DL... WDW could use some more simple rides to spread out crowds.

Yeah, DHS and AK should be the main focus now to go along with Future World at EPCOT. DHS needs a boost no question (more family/family thrill rides specifically), but DCA is still lacking in some areas of the park based on what I hear from @raven24 or @TP2000 such as Bug's Life Land and Hollywood Land (fill free to chip in here if there's more or don't know what I'm talking about).
I think bug's land is "complete"... it's just that it's never going to be Cars Land. It has a decent number of simple, well-themed rides. The area looks good. I don't think there's a lot of wasted space. No E-tickets, though.

vice president quayle...is that you?!

anyway, lutz wrote a gigantic apologist piece a few months back basically essentially saying, "LOOK! WDW is bigger, so fans don't realize where the money goes!!" which, of course, is silly.

like most things, often times a slant can be assumed because of the filter it's going through. it's like how every baseball fan think joe buck hates their team.
Are you thinking of this Jim Hill piece? I think Al is just a bit of a DLR "homer". DLR is his home resort, so his first instinct is to defend that. Rarely do I see him take a shot at WDW that isn't deserved, though. I've been reading his column for 6ish years now.

Let me guess, you don't have kids? A 3 year old isn't riding ToT.
Nov2012-0055.jpg

Red head in the middle. Three years old. Loved it. You can't pull the "you don't have kids, do you?" card about ToT.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Red head in the middle. Three years old. Loved it. You can't pull the "you don't have kids, do you?" card about ToT.

Some kids can do big thrill rides, but many are too scared. My son will do them, my daughter at 7 still has issues with many rides. Side note 1: Both of my kids are really freaked out by HM. I do agree that it would have been more polite to say "many kids can't do ToT"...Side note 2: The dude in the back left corner is cracking me up.

JungleTrekFan

Toy Story Mania has to be considered a success, it has it's detractors, but it is a wildly popular ride. With TSM and Star Tours, the clones were built simultaneously, but with Mermaid there was a year and a half gap, which is a problem. This is what I fear being a problem for Carsland (assuming it's cloned in Florida).

I would much prefer a cloned Monster's Inc Coaster and a new concept for DHS instead of just a cloned Carsland.

I agree, though if they just re-themed radiator springs racers with a city design from Cars 2 you could easily gain popularity of it being new, even though its just re-themed (ie. Indy and Dinosaur, but not as drastically different). Plus it would add to streets of america’s theme. Though I'm not against the beautiful canyon design of Radiator spring racers.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Overall, I wouldn't be opposed to CarsLand cloning, but I'd rather DHS have a varied set of attractions that feature multiple Pixar franchises in Pixar Place. MiC would be a nice addition.

Funmeister

For a million a mile for monorail expansion, not even counting new train cost and operating costs. You can buy a bus and run it forever.

And Disney's buses aren't controlled by company policy, they're controlled by D.O.T. In the sense that Disney can't ask them to drive more than is allowed by DOT and other things as well.

Sorry, buses cannot run forever and do not operate on an endless sipy of free fuel and parts. Sure the initial cost of a bus is much more affordable than a monorail but the long term cost favor monorails over buses.

Also, you are going to tell me there are no bus/transportation policies? Then what are the unions negotiating during contract years? It ain't free lemonade!

BrightImagine

The whole "-Ticket" thing really bothers me. Why not count the duration of rides? It's now pretty easy to find out how long attractions are in minutes and seconds. One could tally up the number of minutes of "experiences" at each park. This would be more meaningful than the ticket designations or the number of attractions.

lazyboy97o

The whole "-Ticket" thing really bothers me. Why not count the duration of rides? It's now pretty easy to find out how long attractions are in minutes and seconds. One could tally up the number of minutes of "experiences" at each park. This would be more meaningful than the ticket designations or the number of attractions.
Because time is even less relevant and typically only measures ride time, not experience time.

TP2000

What an interesting thought! I may come back to that idea later this weekend, and tally up the ride time for these attractions on both coasts.

It will take some time and a bunch of YouTube viewing, especially for the E and D Tickets, but I think that would be a really interesting concept. My hunch is that, once again, Epcot will make all the difference in the world for WDW amount of "ride time".

BrightImagine

What an interesting thought! I may come back to that idea later this weekend, and tally up the ride time for these attractions on both coasts.

It will take some time and a bunch of YouTube viewing, especially for the E and D Tickets, but I think that would be a really interesting concept. My hunch is that, once again, Epcot will make all the difference in the world for WDW amount of "ride time".

I saw that a lot of wikipedia entries had ride duration on them... so then you don't have to go to YouTube.

Jrn14

Call me zany, but I'd rather have no rides than a bunch of carnival type B ticket attractions. Some of these rides get grandfathered in…. (Dumbo, Teacups, Carousel) but I would seriously rather have a beautifully themed fountain than something like those lady bug bumper cars or god forbid ANOTHER dang spinner. Triceratop Spin is probably my least favorite attraction on property just based on principal. I don't want WDW to get in the habit of popping out flat rides just so they can "up the ride count" and "make more family friendly rides" … The thought of a "Toy Story Land" being in Orlando makes me sick to my stomach…. Don't get me wrong… I actually do love amusement parks and carnivals… but what makes Disney different is most of their attractions are unlike what you find in your local six flags or state fair. I do understand they need family attractions and they can't always throw out a bunch of Space Ship Earths or Great Movie Rides, but they can at least give us something like Pooh & Pan.

Cosmic Commando

Some kids can do big thrill rides, but many are too scared. My son will do them, my daughter at 7 still has issues with many rides. Side note 1: Both of my kids are really freaked out by HM. I do agree that it would have been more polite to say "many kids can't do ToT"...Side note 2: The dude in the back left corner is cracking me up.
I'm in the same boat... my 6YO son won't ride most of the thrill rides, but my daughter will ride anything she's tall enough for. I know other young young kids who like ToT also, so I was just trying to make the point that it's not insane to think that a kid could ride ToT like it sounds when you pull out the ol' "You don't have kids, do you?"

Cosmic Commando

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think there's any single solution. The ticket level thing is pretty wonky because it hasn't been used in 30 years and some rides changed levels during their time on that system. I think at the very least it helps to separate between major (say maybe Fantasyland dark ride or above) attractions and minor attractions like the Main St Vehicles.

Cosmic Commando

Call me zany, but I'd rather have no rides than a bunch of carnival type B ticket attractions. Some of these rides get grandfathered in…. (Dumbo, Teacups, Carousel) but I would seriously rather have a beautifully themed fountain than something like those lady bug bumper cars or god forbid ANOTHER dang spinner. Triceratop Spin is probably my least favorite attraction on property just based on principal. I don't want WDW to get in the habit of popping out flat rides just so they can "up the ride count" and "make more family friendly rides" … The thought of a "Toy Story Land" being in Orlando makes me sick to my stomach…. Don't get me wrong… I actually do love amusement parks and carnivals… but what makes Disney different is most of their attractions are unlike what you find in your local six flags or state fair. I do understand they need family attractions and they can't always throw out a bunch of Space Ship Earths or Great Movie Rides, but they can at least give us something like Pooh & Pan.
The thing about simple rides is that they're generally not a huge investment. It's a false choice to say "we're getting the Storybookland Canal Boats in WDW, so we can't build a new E-ticket". Plus, most everything at DL is worthwhile. There's only two spinners between the two parks. DL pulls ahead of MK with dark rides like Pinocchio, Alice and Roger Rabbit, as well as big rides like Indy and Matterhorn.

doctornick

The thing about simple rides is that they're generally not a huge investment. It's a false choice to say "we're getting the Storybookland Canal Boats in WDW, so we can't build a new E-ticket". Plus, most everything at DL is worthwhile. There's only two spinners between the two parks. DL pulls ahead of MK with dark rides like Pinocchio, Alice and Roger Rabbit, as well as big rides like Indy and Matterhorn.

Not that I disagree with your point, but... there are three spinners in DLR (Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, Flik's Flyers). Also, there's a lot of fluff rides at DLR to fill out the ride count -- Silly Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr, Jumping Jellyfish, two Carousels, the Bug's Land offerings. Even at DL there's stuff like Donald's Boat, Goofy's Playhouse, Innoventions, the Explorer Canoes.

I think where DL really works well is that they have as good if not better headline attractions in only two parks and they have a lot of additional rides that densely packed (given the resort size/layout) which means there's a lot of options. DL just has a far far better use of space than WDW. Look at all the rides in DL's Fantasyland compared to WDW's; it's pathetic IMHO that TDO can't find a way to pack in more attractions into the massive space they have.

Cosmic Commando

Not that I disagree with your point, but... there are three spinners in DLR (Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, Flik's Flyers). Also, there's a lot of fluff rides at DLR to fill out the ride count -- Silly Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr, Jumping Jellyfish, two Carousels, the Bug's Land offerings. Even at DL there's stuff like Donald's Boat, Goofy's Playhouse, Innoventions, the Explorer Canoes.

I think where DL really works well is that they have as good if not better headline attractions in only two parks and they have a lot of additional rides that densely packed (given the resort size/layout) which means there's a lot of options. DL just has a far far better use of space than WDW. Look at all the rides in DL's Fantasyland compared to WDW's; it's pathetic IMHO that TDO can't find a way to pack in more attractions into the massive space they have.
I forgot about Flik's. And it's true that Disneyland isn't all E-tickets, but they do have all different levels of rides that makes up the difference between a Disneyland and a MK... it's not just extra kinds of Main St Vehicles and it's not all E-Tickets. The part that I bolded I super duper agree with. If we just go straight park-to-park, MK doesn't stack up all that well against Disneyland. Disneyland is only 16 years older than MK, but when MK is pushing 60, will it be caught up with where DL is today? Nope. And that is in the busiest theme park in the world.

EPCOTCenterLover

For me, its two different resorts, two different approaches. For a full week, WDW can't be beat. Multiple hotels, sports etc. Epcot alone is two days- and DLR has nothing like it. A one day or two day trip, DLR is a pretty fulfilling experience.

Festivus

I
Well I was just there over Christmas and there is plenty to do at Disneyland. I guess that is a misnomer among the WDW crowd that needs to be cleared up, so thank you to TP for doing that. But again my only beef is that I feel that the ride count isn't the best determinate of resort quality.
I was also there over the holidays and I agree with you that DLR is a great overall experience, but it is far from perfect. My family and I all prefer WDW for many reasons. WDW needs some fixes in places, like DHS and AK as an example, but we still live those parks. For us, USO is a better experience than DLR, and when these new attractions open (HP 2.0, Simpsons-land, and Transformers), it won't even be close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom