Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

RSoxNo1

I've never really seen the point of comparing the two coasts in terms of "rides"

I would never put Heimlich's Choo Choo train in the same league as the likes of Spaceship Earth, yet when adding up the rides for each coast they both count as 1.
And Gadget's Go Coaster (maybe a minute) doesn't even compare in length or depth to the Universe of Energy (approx 30-40 mins) yet again they are each counted 1 ride, as if they were the same.

The reason why I say this is because it's not the number of rides that attracts people to each coast, nor is it what makes one coast "better" than the other. It is the depth, storytelling, and likability of certain rides that entices guests to make the trip, either to DL or WDW. I would never travel 2,500 miles out west for spinners, short kiddie rides, and similar experiences I can get at a local, less expensive park. What I would travel that far for would be rides such as RSR, and overall experiences of walking around an attraction such as Carsland.

I believe there was another area in the forums that I participated in, where we were determining what counted and what didn't count as an attraction. Looking back I feel like I wasted my time. Is the Shooting Arcade an attraction? What about meet and greets? Main Street Theater? How about Walk-through attraction? And again to the point I made above regarding rides. Ride A > Ride B so why is Ride A = Ride B when tallied up?

So when you say you tallied up DL and WDW to have a similar number of total rides, even though one has 2 parks and the other has 4 parks, it doesn't really do anything for me. For example, I would rather have 5 universally proclaimed E-ticket rides in Park A, than 10 spinners/kiddie rides in Park B. I think we would all agree on that. If you were to compare the number of E-tickets on both coasts, then that I feel might be better determinate of what entices the guests to come to the resort. However, a lot of personal bias comes into play when grading what is and what isn't an E-ticket, so I won't try and start.

All I know is that both resorts on each coast have enticing, unique offers to potential guests to motivate them to travel one way or the other, or to both. And rides aren't the only attractions offered to entertain the guests so comparing the resorts in terms of ride count doesn't do very much, in my opinion.
This is a horrible approach to compare the attractions. You can play this game all day, Silly Symphony Swings isn't Expedition Everest, Golden Zephyr isn't Kilimanjaro Safaris.

The fact is, in two parks, Disneyland does a reasonable enough job representing the attractions in Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Future World West+Test Track, and the non-live Animal attractions in Animal Kingdom. What's more beneficial is the proximity of these parks to one another. This puts all of these attractions at a maximum of 20 minutes apart.

spacemt354

Chili's
This is a horrible approach to compare the attractions. You can play this game all day, Silly Symphony Swings isn't Expedition Everest, Golden Zephyr isn't Kilimanjaro Safaris.

The fact is, in two parks, Disneyland does a reasonable enough job representing the attractions in Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Future World West+Test Track, and the non-live Animal attractions in Animal Kingdom. What's more beneficial is the proximity of these parks to one another. This puts all of these attractions at a maximum of 20 minutes apart.

Yes, it is a horrible approach. And yes it could be played all day. So then what is the point in tallying up the attractions is all I'm saying. I don't think it's a very good way of ranking the resorts.

I like DL because of the close proximity of everything. And I like WDW because there are 4 parks to explore. Personally, the number of rides the resort has does not make one better or worse for me. There are other more significant factors that go into that decision.

spacemt354

Chili's
A ride is a ride. No matter if it's small or large, impressive or not very impressive, it's still a ride and it counts. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is a ride, just like Spaceship Earth.

That is why I don't feel that the number of rides a resort has is the best way of comparing DL/WDW. A simple tally of rides doesn't take into account other significant factors regarding the rides that make them unique.

lazyboy97o

Yes, it is a horrible approach. And yes it could be played all day. So then what is the point in tallying up the attractions is all I'm saying. I don't think it's a very good way of ranking the resorts.

I like DL because of the close proximity of everything. And I like WDW because there are 4 parks to explore. Personally, the number of rides the resort has does not make one better or worse for me. There are other more significant factors that go into that decision.
A lot of people are focused on rides and it is often repeated in the Walt Disney World crowd that Disneyland is too small with not enough offered.

Californian Elitist

That is why I don't feel that the number of rides a resort has is the best way of comparing DL/WDW. A simple tally of rides doesn't take into account other significant factors regarding the rides that make them unique.

Tell the majority of WDW fans that, because the average WDW guest doesn't care about unique experiences. They see massive resort = better and the much smaller resort = an inferior experience.

spacemt354

Chili's
A lot of people are focused on rides and it is often repeated in the Walt Disney World crowd that Disneyland is too small with not enough offered.

Well I was just there over Christmas and there is plenty to do at Disneyland. I guess that is a misnomer among the WDW crowd that needs to be cleared up, so thank you to TP for doing that. But again my only beef is that I feel that the ride count isn't the best determinate of resort quality.

spacemt354

Chili's
Tell the majority of WDW fans that, because the average WDW guest doesn't care about unique experiences. They see massive resort = better and the much smaller resort = an inferior experience.

I do agree with the second part. Big resort = better experience is the common thought process. Also more convenient travel = better experience. A lot of WDW guests are from the east coast. It's much easier and less expensive travel wise to go to WDW than DL.

However the bold I'm confused. It's more of an opinion than actual fact because neither of us have any data on the matter. Just wondering what gives you that inclination?

Calvin Coolidge

Disney didn't put a New Orleans Square in the MK at WDW because it was thought that New Orleans was too close and familiar, even though most WDW guests wouldn't have visited the city personally. DCA was like having a New Orleans Square in a park in New Orleans.

I tend to think Disney was wrong about that. That was also the reason Disney gave for not putting Pirates in the Magic Kingdom.

The park has become less redundant over time. No more Golden Gate Bridge, no more hints like Burrrbank Ice Cream, the post card entrance, the Sun Wheel, names like Maliboomer and Mulholland Madness... Disney has "Disneyfied" the park and if one who had never been to DCA and was ignorant of the park's name, were to step into the park now, I can bet they wouldn't be able to guess the park is themed to California.

I think this is right; I think a California-themed park in California is okay, as long as it it, to paraphrase Michael Eisner a bit, "the California that never was, and always will be." So things like a wacky miniature Golden Gate Bridge are going to seem pretty mundane and pedestrian, but a recreation of a nearby neighborhood as it was in the 1920s is much more interesting. That's why small changes like getting rid of the weird "extreme sports" theme of Grizzly Peak and replacing it with a WPA-era National Park theme made a big difference.

spacemt354

Chili's
Other sites that have nothing to do with Disney. People ask where they should go, WDW or the DLR. Guess how many said the DLR.

I may not have data, but I bet that inclination is 99.999% true.

Fair enough. Also bigger resort = more $$$. Another misnomer. Disney stock might be up, but it's not from FLE. How about Carsland? or Cruise line? Gotta have fresh substance every once in a while, and not just another meet and greet, otherwise things will start to look stale. Hopefully the next few years will bring change to WDW.

Californian Elitist

Fair enough. Also bigger resort = more $$$. Another misnomer. Disney stock might be up, but it's not from FLE. How about Carsland? or Cruise line? Gotta have fresh substance every once in a while, and not just another meet and greet, otherwise things will start to look stale. Hopefully the next few years will bring change to WDW.

Agreed. I think the two resorts' different demographics contribute a little to what happens for them. For example, DHS could use a nice face lift. At the same time, I'm told lots and lots of tourists visit WDW, and they're going to continue to visit the parks, including DHS. I'm guessing they don't notice things like the mega Disney fans (us) do. The DLR demographics consists of people who don't live far and continue to come back. DCA was only pulling in six million people a year because lots of Disneyland fans didn't feel the park was worth their time... I bet this contributed to the park's makeover. I also bet if DCA was in Florida, its attendance wouldn't have been that low, due to tourists continually visiting the parks and supposedly making up the majority of WDW guests.

Californian Elitist

I think this is right; I think a California-themed park in California is okay, as long as it it, to paraphrase Michael Eisner a bit, "the California that never was, and always will be." So things like a wacky miniature Golden Gate Bridge are going to seem pretty mundane and pedestrian, but a recreation of a nearby neighborhood as it was in the 1920s is much more interesting. That's why small changes like getting rid of the weird "extreme sports" theme of Grizzly Peak and replacing it with a WPA-era National Park theme made a big difference.

I can't argue with you there, especially the part about Grizzly Peak and its stupid theme of extreme sports back then.

BryceM

I think of both Universal Orlando Resort and Disneyland Resort to be two VERY similar destinations. Then WDW sort of dominates over UOR and DLR due to it's massive size and it being well known as a prime vacation destination because of all of the things that there are to do there.

And I love DCA now... Of course, I've never been, but it looks so NICE compared to what I have seen of it before. Buena Vista Street looks to be one of the best theme park entrances around, up there with Main Street USA and Port of Entry.

Californian Elitist

I think of both Universal Orlando Resort and Disneyland Resort to be two VERY similar destinations. Then WDW sort of dominates over UOR and DLR due to it's massive size and it being well known as a prime vacation destination because of all of the things that there are to do there.

And I love DCA now... Of course, I've never been, but it looks so NICE compared to what I have seen of it before. Buena Vista Street looks to be one of the best theme park entrances around, up there with Main Street USA and Port of Entry.

Yeah, the smaller resorts pretty much never receive enough credit. It ain't fair, LOL!

Prock3

I know of two separate bus accidents involving guests in front of the Contemporary within the last year and a half. There were no deaths in either of those accidents however i am pretty sure that all of these incidents did lead to a policy change.

A lot of people mention how much it would cost to expand the monorail and maint costs for 12 trains...but...bus maint is eating them up financially. Not only in parts and labor but fuel alone is what keeps a monorail expansion / light rail / alternative transportation somewhat on life support.

For a million a mile for monorail expansion, not even counting new train cost and operating costs. You can buy a bus and run it forever.

And Disney's buses aren't controlled by company policy, they're controlled by D.O.T. In the sense that Disney can't ask them to drive more than is allowed by DOT and other things as well.

Calvin Coolidge

The fact that DLR is interested in developing the Monsters, Inc. area of DCA is a good sign, to me, for DHS. Makes it more likely WDW will see it as a good investment. At this point, I really just think DHS, more than anything else, just needs more capacity. Even if that means more of a Pixar presence (and a Pixar franchise I'm not too fond of, no less) I think DHS needs to do absolutely anything it can to increase capacity because it is dire right now.

TP2000

Well I was just there over Christmas and there is plenty to do at Disneyland. I guess that is a misnomer among the WDW crowd that needs to be cleared up, so thank you to TP for doing that. But again my only beef is that I feel that the ride count isn't the best determinate of resort quality.

Valid points, and thanks for the interesting dialogue on it all! But as raven24 said, my point (and others who have done the same thing I have) of tallying up the rides is that you would think with 4 parks and the "blessing of size" and over 40 years of operation that WDW would have at least a few dozen more rides than Disneyland Resort does. But it doesn't. It has fewer rides than Disneyland does. And that's kind of weird. :confused:

One of your most valid points was that Heimlich's Chew Chew Train isn't equal to Spaceship Earth. An B Ticket ride isn't equal to an E Ticket ride. And Disneyland Resort has a lot of B and C Ticket rides, while WDW has lots of E Ticket rides, mostly due to Epcot Center.

I will take a stab at calling them out via the old ticketing format. I will try very hard to favor WDW, by calling out every Epcot slow moving ride like Spaceship Earth or Listen To The Land as an E Ticket, due to their long ride length and/or extensive animatronics, the World Showcase CircleVision films will be D Tickets, and I'll count The Seas as two separate D Tickets; the Seacabs as one and Seabase Alpha as another. For rides that existed in 1982, I will use their ticket value as noted on the ticket books in 1982.

Here's what I come up with, at this late hour and with a good glass of Scotch:

E Tickets (Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Soarin', Jungle Cruise, Small World, Radiator Springs Racers, Matterhorn etc.)
Disneyland Resort - 18
WDW Resort - 21

D Tickets (Little Mermaid, American Idol, Tiki Room, Seacabs, MILF, StorybookLand, PeopleMover, CircleVisions, Indy Stunt Show, etc.)
Disneyland Resort - 14
WDW Resort - 19

C Tickets (Peter Pan, Friendship Boats, Pooh, Monsters Inc., Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit, Snow White, Pinocchio, Mickey's Fun Wheel, etc.)
Disneyland Resort - 18
WDW Resort - 10

B Tickets (Dumbo, Carousel's, Teacups, Flik's Flyers, Impressions de France, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Golden Zephyr, etc.)
Disneyland Resort - 12
WDW Resort - 9

A Tickets (Streetcars, Main St. Vehicles (lumped together as one), Treehouse's, Cinema, Castle Tour, etc.)
Disneyland Resort - 9
WDW Resort - 8

Total
Disneyland Resort - 71
WDW Resort - 67

Totally unscientific obviously, and we can argue until our Annual Passes expire about a D Ticket that should be a C Ticket, or vice versa. But the general trend is there, and the total tally is the total tally. And currently WDW edges out Disneyland Resort on E and D Tickets, while Disneyland Resort wallops WDW on dark rides and C Tickets, and both are close on B and A Tickets.

But the tally shows that in 2013, after Cars Land opened in 2012 but before the Snow White Mine Train opens in 2014, that Anaheim edges out Orlando in the number of attractions. It still surprises me to look at those numbers.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Look, those numbers prove that WDW needs more capacity. Sure visiting the theme parks is more than going on the rides, but it is big part of going to a theme park. Look, if people are happy with 90 minute waits for slightly above average attractions and not enough things to do then so be it. I can't imagine any sane person arguing against some increase in capacity for DAK and DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom