Monsters Inc coaster greenlit and Spain coming to world showcase?!?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
At the risk of defending Disney and damaging my hard won reputation, as a foreigner I think the Architecture and show within are a good balance of representation of the serious reflective side of the US, and despite the air con snooze fest gags think it is a justifiably proud portrait of such a comparatively young country that has had so man growing pains.

Tomi-Rocket

new country?

I do hope the rumors are true on both those mentioned. I would love to see a new Monsters, Inc. coaster, that would be awesome. :sohappy:

On the additional country however I'd prefer to see Australia or Russia. Portugal wouldn't be bad or New Zealand but I'm kind of like "eh" on Spain. :snore:

rsoxguy

At the risk of defending Disney and damaging my hard won reputation, as a foreigner I think the Architecture and show within are a good balance of representation of the serious reflective side of the US, and despite the air con snooze fest gags think it is a justifiably proud portrait of such a comparatively young country that has had so man growing pains.

Although I have never thought of the American Pavilion as being a favorite, I have never heard it described with such an eloquent viewpoint. If we actually understood each others accents, I would invite you to South Florida for a personal word of thanks. :)

Mickey is King

Seriously though, WS wouldn't hurt my feelins w/ a new or even expanded pavilions. Some of the existing one's could use some sort of attarction.

Please expand DHS, they have plenty of classic/current movies to draw from. Also someone mentiioned earlier that it actually being a "working studio" would be kinda cool, but I don't know if you could make it work and be good at the same time, with guests and street flow issues, capacity issues and so on...

EPCOT was built for around 800 million, but that was back in the day, still though, roughly, a new country pavillion couldn't run more than 20-30 mil.- could it? maybe 50 if there was an attaction...

RSoxNo1

What makes you believe that? Gut instinct? I'm just curious; I have the same opinion about TT and the FLE....

I'm doubtful as to Spain as well. Too many European countries, and for TDO to put a pavilion in place they would probably have to do so without sponsorship from Spain. Their economy isn't much better than Greece's right now.

I'm thinking purely of where the attendance is heading at DHS. It's received quite a bit of attention lately with the following:
2005: Lights, Motors Action replaces portion of backlot tour
2008: Toy Story Midway Mania replaces Who Wants to be a Millionaire
2009: American Idol Experience replaces nothing (although a few things used to be there)
2011: Star Tours 2.0 replaces Star Tours

Compare that to Animal Kingdom:
2006: Expedition Everest added, Finding Nemo the Musical Replaces Tarzan Rocks

I just think that while the plans for the Monster's Inc Coaster may be pretty far along in development, the money still hasn't been spent, and that Animal Kingdom will likely be in a greater need for an addition of this magnitude.

stuart

I know some Brits who would love to kick you hard for saying that. :wave:

Ohh yes. In the same way that many Britons - especially, but not exclusively, those residing in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are irritated beyond belief when the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is constantly referred to as simply England.

Seriously though, WS wouldn't hurt my feelins w/ a new or even expanded pavilions. Some of the existing one's could use some sort of attarction.

Please expand DHS, they have plenty of classic/current movies to draw from. Also someone mentiioned earlier that it actually being a "working studio" would be kinda cool, but I don't know if you could make it work and be good at the same time, with guests and street flow issues, capacity issues and so on...

EPCOT was built for around 800 million, but that was back in the day, still though, roughly, a new country pavillion couldn't run more than 20-30 mil.- could it? maybe 50 if there was an attaction...

Probably looking at $50 million for the pavilion and another $50 million for a small-medium attraction. But it could be much more than that.

$20 million in a theme park doesn't go very far.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm thinking purely of where the attendance is heading at DHS. It's received quite a bit of attention lately with the following:
2005: Lights, Motors Action replaces portion of backlot tour
2008: Toy Story Midway Mania replaces Who Wants to be a Millionaire
2009: American Idol Experience replaces nothing (although a few things used to be there)
2011: Star Tours 2.0 replaces Star Tours

Compare that to Animal Kingdom:
2006: Expedition Everest added, Finding Nemo the Musical Replaces Tarzan Rocks

I just think that while the plans for the Monster's Inc Coaster may be pretty far along in development, the money still hasn't been spent, and that Animal Kingdom will likely be in a greater need for an addition of this magnitude.

You may very well be right. I do wonder if, as the "newer" park, TDO will recognize the need......

MarkTwain

Spain would be a GREAT addition to World Showcase IMO. Best food in the world, and beautiful architecture and artwork as well. In other words, they have PLENTY of culture to share. As someone fluent in Spanish and who has spent a bit of time of Spain, I've always been a little put out that Spain is the only Western European country that got the shaft from World Showcase.

I'm thinking maybe some Gaudi-esque architecture, perhaps a small replication of the famous bench from Park Guell. Then have some grand Castillian architecture like what you'd find in Madrid, and some of the intimate Gothic alley ways and bridges like what you'd find in Seville. Throw in a Spanish foods TSR, a tapas bar (delicious!) and some sculptures by Picasso, Francisco Barón, and Joan Miró and you're golden.

Not to mention that a Spanish pavilion could be the Churro Central for WDW. :animwink:

Brazil is cool but what would be the main structure. That's the thing. Each country needs a main structure. Greece has the Acropolis and that would be cool.

Chile could have the Andes i guess.

I've been a major advocate for a Brazil pavilion as well, I've thought that since Brazil is a nation most particularly famous for its natural beauty, perhaps a "natural" icon might be more appropriate. I'm thinking perhaps a replica of Sugarloaf Mountain from Rio de Janeiro. It could even hold a showbuilding for a ride inside - a skyway-type dark ride, perhaps?

2732379404_ab4f48d7d0_o.jpg

Then you could have a charming Brazilian seaside village at its base, or a jungle walkthrough representing the Amazon rainforest, with waterfalls, lush jungle landscaping, and sounds of wildlife.

DisneyParksFan1

Spain would be a GREAT addition to World Showcase IMO. Best food in the world, and beautiful architecture and artwork as well. In other words, they have PLENTY of culture to share. As someone fluent in Spanish and who has spent a bit of time of Spain, I've always been a little put out that Spain is the only Western European country that got the shaft from World Showcase.

I'm thinking maybe some Gaudi-esque architecture, perhaps a small replication of the famous bench from Park Guell. Then have some grand Castillian architecture like what you'd find in Madrid, and some of the intimate Gothic alley ways and bridges like what you'd find in Seville. Throw in some sculptures by Picasso, Francisco Barón, and Joan Miró and you're golden.

Not to mention that a Spanish pavilion could be the Churro Central for WDW. :animwink:

I've been a major advocate for a Brazil pavilion as well, I've thought that since Brazil is a nation most particularly famous for its natural beauty, perhaps a "natural" icon might be more appropriate. I'm thinking perhaps a replica of Sugarloaf Mountain from Rio de Janeiro. It could even hold a showbuilding for a ride inside - a skyway-type dark ride, perhaps?

2732379404_ab4f48d7d0_o.jpg

Then you could have a charming Brazilian seaside village at its base, or a jungle walkthrough representing the Amazon rainforest, with waterfalls, lush jungle landscaping, and sounds of wildlife.

They should do that.

I also think they should bring back the Venezuelan pavilion. Me being from the country.. But right now our relationship with that place isn't so good so it's HIGHLY unlikely, but it would be great to have Angel Falls and have a nice boat ride through the Amazons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom