Monsters Inc coaster greenlit and Spain coming to world showcase?!?

NoChesterHester

I could see a major ride/attraction costing 100 mil because of all the development costs involved, but find it very hard to believe that a country pavilion without a ride costs near that amount.

If it does then they are wasting a ton of development dollars. 100 million in the "real" world would build a high rise on a quarter city block.

DisneyParksFan1

I could see a major ride/attraction costing 100 mil because of all the development costs involved, but find it very hard to believe that a country pavilion without a ride costs near that amount.

If it does then they are wasting a ton of development dollars. 100 million in the "real" world would build a high rise on a quarter city block.

Lol, that's Disney magic.

mickey2008.1

I agree with spain, it has a truely uniqueness to it. The open air restaurants, old churches, seaside ports, great Rioja wines, and great food, some of the best i have ever had. If its Brazil, i think that would be a better fit in AK with the scenery, teaching people about the rainfoest and how ts being destroyed, and the way the country has developed. I would also like to see a hotel in WS, sit from your balcony and see the fireworks like a MK.

CaptainWinter

However, I'm thinking the new Italy restaurant, Via Napoli, seemed to be a fairly large building in the plaza area. Just from an observational standpoint, the building looked to be an eighth or so the size of the rest of the buildings there. Could we assume then, it cost $12.5 million to build that new restaurant (assuming $100 million average for a whole new pavilion)? And would Disney not pay the CM's who work there, not the host country? Where are the costs of construction the greatest, since a good portion of the pavilion would be "back areas" that wouldn't necessarily need to be finished out to the detail of the public areas?

Good question. There are participants on these boards who work in the construction industry; if one of them sees this, you might get an informed answer about construction costs.

As far as financing goes, I understand that the host countries generally play no role in supporting their pavilions and their CMs. I think Norway might be the only one at the moment. I'm not sure if Disney pays the CMs at Napoli, since it's owned and operated by the Patina restaurant group, who presumably shares revenue with Disney. Italy, the country, definitely does not pay them. Someone please jump in if you know more -- I'm curious about the economic arrangements of WS myself.

Question then also becomes, what is really the prohibitive reason for not upgrading or adding countries? Does TDO not think a new country would bring additional guests to justify the cost outlay for the new country? I wish these guys had Walt's vision to just to make new and great things simply because he could make people happy.

Amen to this.

Mrs.Toad

Ok, very outdated info but....

On a trip with my parents to Epcot when I was little like in the early 90's...we were eating in France and one of the CM's also told my parents that the CM's from other nations working in Epcot, work and live in the US for a year and then return home.

I remember being small and even then thinking how they must be trained to work as a server, greeter, ride operator, etc, and be briefed in the finer points of Disney service and CM expectations, and then Disney would have to do this every time a new person came to work. A lot of work from a business perspective certainly. Also, how it would stink for the people that loved working and living there and maybe wanted to stay.

Mickey is King

without seeing the #'s for "real world" city development............I have to agree,

maybe only in NYC would it cost more. I'm not even sure the "Big Dig" in Bean Town cost over $100 mil. (of course I could be wrong, very wrong, ):shrug:

Each Disney park at WDW cost about 800 million to construct and "Finish"- tha's what they said on a Disney special on travel channel anyway.

hpyhnt 1000

without seeing the #'s for "real world" city development............I have to agree,

maybe only in NYC would it cost more. I'm not even sure the "Big Dig" in Bean Town cost over $100 mil. (of course I could be wrong, very wrong, ):shrug:

Each Disney park at WDW cost about 800 million to construct and "Finish"- tha's what they said on a Disney special on travel channel anyway.

Boston's Big Dig was more than $100 million... significantly more. After all the delays and what not, its estimated the total cost of the project will be in the region of $22 billion. :eek:

http://www.boston.com/news/traffic/bigdig/articles/2008/07/17/big_digs_red_ink_engulfs_state/

But, WDW is not going to be doing anything remotely close to the Big Dig, so no worries there. :) Judging from reports about how much certain attractions and expansions reportedly cost, I'd say $100+ million would bring 2 or 3 nice C/D tickets to World Showcase, particularly since some pavilions have exisitng show buildings already. :shrug:

zurgandfriend

Would you believe over 20 Billion! That's correct B as in BILLION. It's really not too bad a $5 billion dollar tunnel.

That's why in town meetings in the Boston area whenever someone proposes a new construction project the opposition replies with “How much does it cost without the tunnel?”

Mickey is King

Would you believe over 20 Billion! That's correct B as in BILLION. It's really not too bad a $5 billion dollar tunnel.

That's why in town meetings in the Boston area whenever someone proposes a new construction project the opposition replies with “How much does it cost without the tunnel?”

so I was off by a couple billion........:ROFLOL:

anyway yeah, EPCOT could do a pavillion for 20 mil. I bet

Mickey is King

I like that. I'll use it next time in town (boston) ,which is usually a few times a year.

disneyaholic86

Just to fuel the rumor mill even more about adding another country. At the Vinylmation Trade City Event, they announced a Vinylmation Flag Series. The series features 12 countries flags. Eleven of the vinylmations are the current countries in the World Showcase (Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, USA, Japan, Morocco, France, UK, and Canada).

The 12th flag is BRAZIL!!!!!

Mansion Butler

There is significant space between the France and Morocco pavilions — enough to accommodate an additional pavilion, said the source.

Read more: A new country at Epcot? - Orlando Business Journal
There's a whole lot more space in WS than that. Heh.

BrerFrog

Just to fuel the rumor mill even more about adding another country. At the Vinylmation Trade City Event, they announced a Vinylmation Flag Series. The series features 12 countries flags. Eleven of the vinylmations are the current countries in the World Showcase (Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, USA, Japan, Morocco, France, UK, and Canada).

The 12th flag is BRAZIL!!!!!

I wouldn't read too much into that. Brazil is the second country that most visits WDW, so Disney knows that a Brazilian flag will sell nearly as well as an American one.

Mansion Butler

I wouldn't read too much into that. Brazil is the second country that most visits WDW, so Disney knows that a Brazilian flag will sell nearly as well as an American one.
I do think Brazil would be one of the two or three best choices for a 12th pavilion, though. Maybe it's just in case. :ROFLOL:

Mansion Butler

The Brazil pavilion would have ambient chants and claps in the background while you're standing in line, btw. And the cast members would walk around holding up big flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom