Monsters Inc coaster greenlit and Spain coming to world showcase?!?

aladdin2007

Fact check. My impression is that most of the WS countries were paid for, at least in part, by corporations, e.g. Norway (a blob of Norwegian companies + SAS) and Japan (Mitsukoshi). On the other hand there was Moroccan gov't involvement in Morocco, for example.

Can someone provide some info on the WS sponsorship model?

Norway was partly backed by the Norwegian goverment as well. They pulled out around 2002. I believe China is supported by the Peoples Republic of China to some extent. Roots is a big sponsor in Canada, and Mexico the san angel inn resturant corp in Mexico City is a big player. Someone correct me if Im wrong but the others are not sponsored by their country's government right now, Morocco may still be but not sure, their King is the one who funded/designed a lot of the pavilion back in the 80s.

Mrs.Toad

If they add another country I would think it would be a place they had already considered some time ago instead of starting with a whole new place, but with some reworking of old plans and ideas.

The Neverland Files has a picture of Spain signage when it was up years ago, so it was one among many countries that was considered with some being more far along in design and planning than others.

But I'd love to know more about collaboration too and sponsorship and how it works in WS.

A small example, but I love Sapporo Japanese beer. Will never see it in Epcot. Kirin Ichiban is sold in WS and at Tokyo Disneyland.

Probably why more variety in Epcot for drinks and foods may never expand. I once posted that I would love to see more additions because I can't take off from work:cry: in November to go to Food and Wine.

But another country is a huge commitment. I was just thinking about the merchandising too. All of the design and offerings need to be made and carefully considered and any items currently sold outside of a new pavillion would have to be changed and that costs money.

For example, t-shirts, sweaters, passports, maps and so much more would need the twelfth country represented when the flags logos for Epcot appear on merchandise.

It is a huge commitment...so much more than just building a new pavillion which is a hefty undertaking too.

duff527

My dream Epcot has a Lost ride focusing on harnessing energy.

):

Not capitalizing on the Lost franchise is probably Disney's biggest failure in terms of competing with Universal. That was their biggest opportunity to compete with Harry Potter with a product they already hold the rights to. Most Disney films come and go, and even if they're popular on release, by the time you were to produce an e-ticket attraction based on that film, the moment has passed. Lost was HUGE, and lasted for 6 years. If they would've put something together after season 2 or 3 and opened it a year or two ago, it would've been wildly popular. Still could be, but maybe not as much.

RSoxNo1

2014 for Monster's Inc sounds right for a timeline... because it's what's been on this board for quite some time. To be honest, I still think this project gets the axe, but that is 100% speculation and not based on any inside information.

As for Spain, I haven't heard anything about this, and after sorting through 10 pages of people yelling at each other, it seems that nobody else has really heard about this either.

aladdin2007

2014 for Monster's Inc sounds right for a timeline... because it's what's been on this board for quite some time. To be honest, I still think this project gets the axe, but that is 100% speculation and not based on any inside information.

As for Spain, I haven't heard anything about this, and after sorting through 10 pages of people yelling at each other, it seems that nobody else has really heard about this either.

Yes and now that I think about it, I think that writer in the Orlando business journal just wrote about spain coming because of michelle obama's visit there which has been all over the press. So basically it could be nothing but political/journalistic dim sum if you will.

hpyhnt 1000

The countries all border another and certain ones may have more space than others. We would have to pick apart each to determine how much room each one would possibly have. Also, Canada and Mexico, are a bit trickier because they only border one because they start off polar ends of WS. Mexico has a ride so nothing would likely be done there anyway. And I guess we could say that France and Morocco have that big space on either side of them so they may have extra room. But France and U.K also have the International Gateway between them and that can't be touched.

For example, I would love the Japanese train concept. Loved the old concept art. But if it meant removing some of the water and landscaping, I'm not sure how I'd feel. Mitsukoshi Dept. store and the restaurants are sprawling.

Water rafting or some other type of ride in Canada. Would they have to build over all of the landscaping and scenic paths and remove them?

And I could go on and on about each individual country but I haven't looked up satellite shots or gotten measurements and analyzed how much available room there is in each pavillion, so I will leave it at this. Something we can do on our own time and at a later date, because many people have done this already.:)

I'm just saying that if adding a ride to a certain country meant that it would mess too much with the beauty that exists I might feel differently.

Rats! I forgot to add the space at China and Germany! But if there is storage and other items back there then its probably not up for expansion like posted above.

Mexico is limited in any expansion unless it uses the land next to it. Canada has some land behind it to expand into; any raft ride would prob be multi-level and would prob utilize the roof area of the circle-vision theater. The UK has room between it and Int'l Gateway for expansion. Both France and Morocco have plenty of expansion space behind them that, if fully utilized, would double the size of each pavilion.

Japan alrady has a huge showbuilding; all it needs is its show. Italy is somewhat limited now because of Via Napoli, but there is still some room behind it for expansion. Germany has a partially completed ride building, as well as some additional space behind that. China and Norway are fully built out; any expansion would require moving backstage storage and cast buildings.

World Showcase has PLENTY of room for expansion. In fact, Canada, UK, France, Morocco, Italy, and Germany all have sufficient backstage space to dramatically expand. That is in addition to the six unused plots that could be used for a new pavilion. Further, there is even more land available behind the AA, Japan, Morocco, and France that could be utlized if necessary. However, this would only happen in a very ambitous expansion project (think the same scale of DCAs $1+ billion expansion).

Not that my opinion means anything, but I'll tend to agree with those who advocate for more improvments to the existing pavilions rather than building a new one (for countries in WS).

I love EPCOT as it is. My favorite park by a mile and WS being my favorite area of the park. That said, some solid enhancements or expansions to the countries already there would be fantastic; more buildings with shops and food in each country for example. Even the idea of a Kali River Rapids ride in Canada would be nice. It doesn't necessarily have to be an E ticket ride, but a lesser ride with great themeing. If a new country were to come - how about Switzerland with the Matterhorn :animwink:.

Mrs.Toad

Thanks! That helped me picture what kind of space and availability we are talking about here.

Sadly, it looks like most of the work done in the past years to WS was removing and replacing what was already there without being too ambitious.

EL Rio becoming Caballeros.

Alfredo becoming Tutto.

The restaurant turnover in Japan as well.

New exhibit in Japan and I'm sure a few others and perhaps a few store changes as far as products being sold in different countries.

Well, there was some more work involved with Via Napoli and Mexico of course as far as dining in WS.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

What makes you believe that? Gut instinct? I'm just curious; I have the same opinion about TT and the FLE....

I'm doubtful as to Spain as well. Too many European countries, and for TDO to put a pavilion in place they would probably have to do so without sponsorship from Spain. Their economy isn't much better than Greece's right now.

MouskaGurler

I would think that disney would do something with sweden or norway sense they have all those attractions dealing with the yeti (matterhorn, and everest) :veryconfu

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If your going to do it do it properly

14404394.jpg

Mrs.Toad

And speaking of new countries in Epcot and what we'd maybe like to see if it ever happened...

I've never been there but I was just thinking about the layout, water, architecture, landscaping of Tokyo DisneySea....and MY GOD!

Not that I would ever stab my beloved WS in the back.:ROFLOL:

But the possibilites of what could be done in WS. And I know that Tokyo Disney has another company operating from Japan and all.

That Mediterranean area...that wondrous Magellan restaurant...the hotel rooms...:lol:

So lovely!

Tybee

My vote would definately be India. The worlds largest democracy and in 20 years the most populous. Great food, architecture, and 1000's of years of culture.

Based on population alone, India deserves to be in WS. The Taj Mahal would make a great pavilion centerpiece and WDW certainly needs more Indian food. But again, India gets much love over in Animal Kingdom, which kind of undercuts the idea of installing it in WS as well.

:eek::eek::eek:

I had to edit this in as a wise crack: Would Jesus condone all the WS drinking and partying? Better look out- he's watching you (the statue that is)

This was ment as a joke, don't go all serious on me on this one.

Because Rio de Janeiro is a paragon of chastity and temperance. :rolleyes:;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom