News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

TimeDuck

I have no idea where else to post this and theres no way I'm the first to think of it, but in an alternate reality there was probably a GMR refresh announced at D23 for all Disney movies and the ride gets hijacked by Deadpool.

So really theres no winning.

Surferboy567

Two days ago, the site that shall not be named said the following:

"Land will go were the animation building currently stands. the front guest facing part of this is Star Wars launch bay, parking garage and animation building will be torn down to make way for the rest of the land."

Again, this probably doesn't mean much and our insiders here have said otherwise. I thought it would be wise to fully document this though in the event it's not Muppets. The insiders here have started to convince me it's going in Muppets, but trying to hold out hope even though they are likely right.

Sneaky

"Land will go were the animation building currently stands. the front guest facing part of this is Star Wars launch bay, parking garage and animation building will be torn down to make way for the rest of the land."

Again, this probably doesn't mean much and our insiders here have said otherwise. I thought it would be wise to fully document this though in the event it's not Muppets. The insiders here have started to convince me it's going in Muppets, but trying to hold out hope even though they are likely right.
I think I’m starting to come to terms with it. Hall of presidents is probably gonna happen at one point (kills two birds with one stone, won’t be surprised if we get an announcement with monsters closing. Even if not it’s probably gonna happen eventually), so they hopefully won’t be gone forever. I know most attractions have their times nowadays but man was I hoping this one would pull through. Monsters Inc should be cool and a worthy replacement. I will miss MV3D like hell though.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I agree, Tom C. seem very positive Monsters will go where launch bay is not, Tom did not say maybe, he was positive.

Tom is now good friends with TWDC and is back on the media list so this may be a factor?

That said, he was clear he HATES the new Poly DVC tower, so he is not totally bought and paid for.

I will miss his rants for sure ;)

Sneaky

I agree, Tom C. seem very positive Monsters will go where launch bay is not, Tom did not say maybe, he was positive.

Tom is now good friends with TWDC and is back on the media list so this may be a factor?

That said, he was clear he HATES the new Poly DVC tower, so he is not totally bought and paid for.

Him genuinely getting under chapek’s skin was always funny. Glad bald bob is gone.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Slinky is weird in that it is generally themed poorly and all critiques about it are right, but it has rave reviews with any person you ever talk to.

I’ll talk to lawyers and other professionals about their Disney trip and they’ll glow about “the Slinky ride.”

Slinky benefits from the same thing Cosmic Rewind does. At the end of the day, it's a fun roller coaster, no matter how much or how little theming there is. Could the theming make it even better? Sure, but it's still a fun ride.

I think SDD is one of those things that is greater than the sum of its parts.

mickEblu

No he probably has an agreement (or unspoken understanding) with Disney where he can criticize on a handful of stuff including Poly to make him sound more believable. Splash Mountain and the ROA were likely not on that list. Or he's just playing his cards right.

mattpeto

If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on Grand Avenue. It feels like 70-30 to me.

mgf

How I feel about Toy Story land. Sure it needs more shade and more stuff, but slinky and midway mania are honestly some of the most fun rides on property.
I'm going to use this as a reason to fling my Disney hot take out into the universe....

I think the transition between Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge is actually one of my favorites in the parks. If you are walking out of TSL you are growing out of the grass and into the more grown up, gritty space adventures. If you are walking out of GE you are shrinking into the grass and back into the childlike ideals of space travel.

djkidkaz

On the topic of slinky dog, I think the draw is that it's an outdoor coaster at a resort not known for outdoor coasters. There are five, maybe five and a half, depending on how you count Tron: Big Thunder, Barnstormer, Seven Dwarfs, Everest, and Slink. Of those, Big Thunder is awesome and iconic, but Barnstormer is a true kiddy ride, and Seven Dwarfs is too short, while Everest doesn't appeal to families.

Slinky Dog is the first outdoor coaster at WDW to give high-up arial views while being accessible to families with children. It also has a fun launch sequence that isn't too thrilling but has fun flashing lights that make kids smile. But more than that, it gets you up close and personal with a beloved character from a beloved movie, and he talks! It's a ride vehicle that talks!

It's popular because it offers fun views from the sky while being accessible to families, and it's also a character experience!

While I agree it may be too lightly themed, the "Andy built a roller coaster kit in his backyard and attached Slink to the track" idea doesn't really offend me, and seems like a decent justification for building an outdoor roller coaster in an immersively-themed area. What are the other options -- a runaway train? They already did that. Twice.

Now Tron's outdoor section, on the other hand...

Slinky is popular because it falls into a sweet spot at studios of a ride that a lot in the family are willing to do. Young kids will ride it and it’s a popular franchise.

JustInTime

Here’s the thing for me. It feels like they are (hopefully) thinking long term. On paper, losing MV for Monster’s Inc. stinks. But if they are doing it because they truly have plans for a full fleshed land of another IP at AC? I’m sold.

Basically, I’d take the addition of Monster’s Inc AND Zootopia in place of Muppets. But if AC sits and rots for another 10 years, then no.

Last edited:

TimeDuck

Here’s the thing for me. It feels like they are (hopefully) thinking long term. On paper, losing MV for Monster’s Inc. stinks. But if they are doing it because they truly have plans for a full fleshed land of another IP at AC? I’m sold.

Basically, I’d take the addition of Monster’s Inc AND Zootopia in place of Muppets. But if AC sits and rots for another 10 years, then no.

I feel like history is littered with hundreds of WDI's "future plans".

The only thing worth fighting for is the here and now imo when it comes to the parks. The Walt Disney Company could be sold before Monstropolis even opens. Or there could be another pandemic next month (that monkeypox news is looking scarier by the minute...)

I do agree with you though, I do think they're thinking long term right now when it comes to the parks. But despite everyone's best intentions there's just no certainty of anything until it's vertical and the doors are open.

Last edited:

JustInTime

I feel like history is littered with hundreds of WDI's "future plans".

The only thing worth fighting for is the here and now imo when it comes to the parks. The Walt Disney Company could be sold before Monstropolis even opens. Or there could be another pandemic next month (that monkeypox news is looking scarier by the minute...)

I do agree with you though, I do think they're thinking long term right now when it comes to the parks. But despite everyone's best intentions there's just no certainty of anything until it's vertical and the doors are open.
Definitely agree which is why I’m so hesitant to get excited about this.

TrainsOfDisney

Here’s the thing for me. It feels like they are (hopefully) thinking long term.
Eh… that’s what they are saying about MK - plopping in cars is thinking long term.

I’m not sure if I’m buying it. Look at studios right now…. We lost a lot of the park for galaxies edge. Was it really worth it? Rise and the falcon photo op could have fit elsewhere.

ednamodedarling

Eh… that’s what they are saying about MK - plopping in cars is thinking long term.

I’m not sure if I’m buying it. Look at studios right now…. We lost a lot of the park for galaxies edge. Was it really worth it? Rise and the falcon photo op could have fit elsewhere.
The backlot tour & Lights, Motor, Action weren't exactly heavy hitters for DHS. Galaxy's edge (despite it's faults) is home to one of the most popular attractions on property. I'd say it was a fair trade lol.

TrainsOfDisney

The backlot tour & Lights, Motor, Action weren't exactly heavy hitters for DHS. Galaxy's edge (despite it's faults) is home to one of the most popular attractions on property. I'd say it was a fair trade lol.
Lights Motors packed the crowds in. Backlot Tour seemed to do its job well and could have easily been updated to boost attendance and marketing. Plus the Osbourne lights and an additional theatre were lost. It all ads up.

And of course Rise would still be built!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom