News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

tissandtully

In 2022 we went and I think there were 50 people inside. Maybe more, but the place was empty for its capacity.
Yeah, I don't think this is a good argument for taking away attractions with this limited footprint, I think a huge river that anyone barely uses is far different than a theater that constantly churns through guests who would be taking up space in the park if they weren't on said attraction.

doctornick

If the longer term plan is to put in Zootopia in the Animation space, then it seems to me they are doing this backwards. Just demolish the animation building and put Zootopia there first, then build Monsters later once you have that capacity established.

Oh course they key is that Zootopia (or whatever they put there) needs to be going in the current backstage space, not just replacing the buildings that already are in use for guests.

ctrlaltdel

What is still not clear at all to me is where exactly Monsters would go if replacing Muppets and what is the configuration.

View attachment 809361

Isn't the thinking here that on the left side of the picture it is Pizzarizzo with the water tower next to it? That would put the Monsters building roughly around where Mama Melrose is.

Is it possible that the MuppetVision building survives - whether as Muppets or as a Monsters show - and the Monsters ride goes further back in the "land"?
I would think putting it in Muppets Courtyard would allow them to keep the MV building (it would cost a lot to tear down and rebuild something there, it also doesn't make sense to rebuild a coaster show building since it would likely tower over the lower GE rockwork in that corner) I don't think they could use MV as the queue either, since that backs up right behind GE backstage to the ROTR show building. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to tear it down IMO.

But the placement of Harryhausens in the concept art is difficult to square as that may necessitate at least a modification of the MV building. Using the studio store as the entrance (as this concept art shows), would require Mama Melrose's to be demolished 100%.

DCLcruiser

Yeah, I don't think this is a good argument for taking away attractions with this limited footprint, I think a huge river that anyone barely uses is far different than a theater that constantly churns through guests who would be taking up space in the park if they weren't on said attraction.
I am not advocating for it to happen. I want a new 3D film....which is why I think it was often empty.

doctornick

I would think putting it in Muppets Courtyard would allow them to keep the MV building (it would cost a lot to tear down and rebuild something there, it also doesn't make sense to rebuild a coaster show building since it would likely tower over the lower GE rockwork in that corner) I don't think they could use MV as the queue either, since that backs up right behind GE backstage to the ROTR show building. It wouldn't make a ton of sense to tear it down IMO.

But the placement of Harryhausens in the concept art is difficult to square as that may necessitate at least a modification of the MV building. Using the studio store as the entrance (as this concept art shows), would require Mama Melrose's to be demolished 100%.

I feel like it would have to be sort of like this based on the concept art:

1. Pizzarizzo: new Monsters quick serve
2. Mama Melrose: location for the door coaster building (would bleed a bit into backstage)
3. Muppets Studio Store: torn down, in the general vicinity of Harryhausens restaurant
4. Muppet Vision: probably torn down and the building on the right side of the picture (with the grocery stand) goes in its place

If there is a playground as seemed to be indicated in the other artwork, it would seem to be going in front of Pizzarizzo or maybe it would replace the bathrooms (and they would build new ones elsewhere?)

ctrlaltdel

I feel like it would have to be sort of like this based on the concept art:

1. Pizzarizzo: new Monsters quick serve
2. Mama Melrose: location for the door coaster building (would bleed a bit into backstage)
3. Muppets Studio Store: torn down, in the general vicinity of Harryhausens restaurant
4. Muppet Vision: probably torn down and the building on the right side of the picture (with the grocery stand) goes in its place

If there is a playground as seemed to be indicated in the other artwork, it would seem to be going in front of Pizzarizzo or maybe it would replace the bathrooms (and they would build new ones elsewhere?)
Hopefully they do build the playground no matter where it is, but unsure where that would go. MV is a pretty big building (over 20k sq ft) so if they do tear it down, there would have a lot of space so it could be there. The two pieces of concept art definitely conflict with each other and don't make complete sense no matter where it is.

doctornick

I still think the answer is to tear our Mama Melrose/christmas shop and the Studio store. Put the rid where Mama Melrose is and into backstage. And then put Harryhausens next to it.

MuppetVision theater can either be kept for Muppets or becomes a Monsters show.

Pizzarizzo becomes a Monsters quick serve (eventually) but can stay as is for now

Best aspect: this can be built without disrupting as much of the park since you'd only be losing a shop and a TSR. That's not nothing but it isn't nearly as bad as losing MV.

1723667288486.png

Bleed0range

If they did it this way you could actually have a real Pixar neighborhood by connecting it with TSL. If you really wanted to you could even retheme RnR to Incredibles down the line whenever the Aerosmith agreement is up and then you have a pretty massive Pixar district. Would make more sense than having the Pixar areas all separated

It should really be close to TSL to really solidify the Pixar connection.

hopemax

Is this what it felt like when they closed Toad?
While there are echos this is worse. A single dark ride can be replaced pretty straightforwardly, if later management thinks it was a mistake. There could be a possibility of a reimagined Toad. Like people continue to feel about Figment. The shock with Toad was that Disney would tear out a well attended and rated attraction just to increase merchandise sales. Snow White was understood to be the dark ride with greater attendance and rating issues. Which is why it was no surprise when it was removed later.

This, there is no coming back from.

KDM31091

While there are echos this is worse. A single dark ride can be replaced pretty straightforwardly, if later management thinks it was a mistake. There could be a possibility of a reimagined Toad. Like people continue to feel about Figment. The shock with Toad was that Disney would tear out a well attended and rated attraction just to increase merchandise sales. Snow White was understood to be the dark ride with greater attendance and rating issues. Which is why it was no surprise when it was removed later.

This, there is no coming back from.
Exactly. There is almost zero chance of them reestablishing the Muppets and adjacent area if they take it away. The only real Disney attractions I can think of that have closed and later returned are both at Disneyland-- the Submarines and the Castle Walkthrough, but they were really SBNO for years and not demolished. Other than that, once it's gone, it's gone, but especially in this case with irreversible demolition/changes.

James Alucobond

If the longer term plan is to put in Zootopia in the Animation space, then it seems to me they are doing this backwards. Just demolish the animation building and put Zootopia there first, then build Monsters later once you have that capacity established.

Oh course they key is that Zootopia (or whatever they put there) needs to be going in the current backstage space, not just replacing the buildings that already are in use for guests.
Also, if it’s a clone of Shanghai’s Zootopia, why should I care or think that’s a better use of space than Monsters considering it’s one attraction? I would hope it was something more expansive and purpose-built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom