News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

sWANNISAX

animation courtyard is where it should go. that mermaid show show should not have been redone. it should just be removed.

concerning that a whole land is one ride now and a slide? move laugh floor or copy one of the other non height restricted rides from another park. dhs needs it desperately to go with this coaster. any placement besides the launch bay is a terrible mistake.

celluloid

It would make zero sense for this to replace Muppet vision and Star Tours. They need to add to this park. Not just continue with the same net amount of attractions, or even worse, minus one.

They are fine doing just that. Less staffing and drawing on new/more crowd. Animal Kingdom is not expanding attraction venues either.

FiestaFunKid

Coaster looks very cool and will be a big people eater - but I do get sad that Hollywood Studios is just an extension of Magic Kingdom now. May as well name it MK East since every single attraction could be in either park.

I know there is no going back to the theming/feelings evoked by MGM Studios, but a little token effort to differentiate would be nice.

zappy

Jim Hill had mentioned Disney wanting to use the space behind RNR for guests and this may be it. Disney prefers loops when walking over a dead ends which the end of Sunset is currently. This could be a chance to have a route back to Animation Courtyard from Cars and RNR that isn’t Sunset Blvd. Excited to see this :)

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Jim Hill had mentioned Disney wanting to use the space behind RNR for guests and this may be it. Disney prefers loops when walking over a dead ends which the end of Sunset is currently. This could be a chance to have a route back to Animation Courtyard from Cars and RNR that isn’t Sunset Blvd. Excited to see this :)
That would be a smart design. No one way street of both people having to go both directions because there is no other way

Spash007

My vote is definitely Animation Courtyard. The design of the Star Wars Launch Bay building lends itself to the Monsters Incorporated building. The facade on the land overview, seems to fall in line with Disney Junior getting a make over with a city facade losing the outdated studio sound stage set up. It could very well be converted back into a restaurant since it was one at one time with the Soundstage Restaurant. It shares a kitchen with Brown Derby and the Cast cafeteria. It could become Harryhausen's. The courtyard also depicted seemed to match the existing Animation courtyard. The Star Wars Launch Bay goes back pretty far on its foot print. It also had a parking lot behind it (behind Sunset Ranch) and the Feature Animation building could potentially be razed or repurposed as the show building.

The real question is what becomes of Mermaid and Walt Disney Presents. It may be odd for WDP to exit out into Monstropolis, but even more odd to have a new mermaid show here. Could the plans for Mermaid be scrapped or just temporary? Based on the concept art, that is where a playground might be.

It doesn't make sense in the Muppet courtyard because they just did that work in 2017 for PizzeRizzo. The coaster building would be in the Cast parking lot, but would have to cross over the backstage road like Guardians does at Epcot. The Muppet theater also just got new seats and carpet. As far as other places, leading off behind Sunset Ranch would be odd. Replacing Coaster after so much work has been put into it the past 2 years wouldn't make sense. Tearing down Theater of the Stars in favor of this mini-land would be jarring off Sunset.

My other guess though is off of Echo Lake. Indy is a huge plot of land with Backlot Express in need of a retheme as well. That show still packs in crowds though.

View attachment 808131
For the VotLM show, I’m thinking they could have the entrance be in the front (along the path to Walt Disney Presents) and then build a facade over the current entrance to fit in with Monstropolis)

Or… have the entrance to the land be where Star Wars Launch Bay is and still have a small AC of Mermaid, M&Gs and Junior

JustInTime

Coaster looks very cool and will be a big people eater - but I do get sad that Hollywood Studios is just an extension of Magic Kingdom now. May as well name it MK East since every single attraction could be in either park.

I know there is no going back to the theming/feelings evoked by MGM Studios, but a little token effort to differentiate would be nice.
I disagree. As long as MK has overarching themed lands with multiple IP’s fitting into the themes of tomorrow, yesterday and fantasy with DHS having lands that transport you into that movie, were are good.

Monsters Inc doesn’t fit in any MK lands. It never did fit in Tomorrowland. It doesn’t fit in Adventure, Frontier or Fantasy…

FiestaFunKid

I disagree. As long as MK has overarching themed lands with multiple IP’s fitting into the themes of tomorrow, yesterday and fantasy with DHS having lands that transport you into that movie, were are good.

Monsters Inc doesn’t fit in any MK lands. It never did fit in Tomorrowland. It doesn’t fit in Adventure, Frontier or Fantasy…

I suppose you can rationalize it that way - but this results in incredibly weak theming for Hollywood Studios - and certainly renders the Studios name/theming/feeling completely irrelevant. Not to mention, the original Magic Kingdom, Disneyland, now has the same Galaxy's Edge and MK Tomorrowland had no issue putting a Monster's Inc attraction already.

Last edited:

JustInTime

I suppose you can rationalize it that way - but this results in incredibly weak theming for Hollywood Studios - and certainly renders the Studios name/theming/feeling completely irrelevant. Not too mention, the original Magic Kingdom, Disneyland, now has the same Galaxy's Edge and MK Tomorrowland had no issue putting a Monster's Inc attraction already.
DHS’s theme has been thin since before they announced GE. It hasn’t been about going behind the scenes in decades. It’s definitely meant to plop you into the universe of the movie now. That IS DHS. It is Univeral Studios now too. This is just the way the Industry has gone since Potter.

Also - GE should have never went into DL. Neither should Monsters Inc in TL.

celluloid

DHS’s theme has been thin since before they announced GE. It hasn’t been about going behind the scenes in decades. It’s definitely meant to plop you into the universe of the movie now. That IS DHS.

The issue is, that is also what has become of MK.

And it had that kind of theme since early eras it was just heavily sprinkled with love letter to Hollywood. Tower of Terror, RnR and Muppets did not take you behind the scenes, but gave a Lense of the Hollywood that never was but always will be. Now MK and DHS attractions are interchangeable if someone did not tell you what park it was going in.

FiestaFunKid

It’s definitely meant to plop you into the universe of the movie now. That IS DHS.
If this is true, then it's also the same undifferentiated theme of many other Disney Parks with Frozen, Pandora, Toy Story lands popping up worldwide - which was my orignal point. Also, the new Cars area in MK with 2 attractions and a mountain backdrop will likely feel more like a land (who cares if they name it Fronteirland on a map) vs wherever they plop the Monster's coaster.

Finally we agree!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom