News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

drew81

IMG_8472.jpeg

Sectorkeeper71

Calling DHS a junk drawer is disingenuous. It's almost as if Disney's Hollywood Studios is becoming a Theme Park featuring Disney's Hollywood Studios. Remember them? LucasFilm (Galaxy's Edge), Pixar (Toy Story Land, Mosters Inc Land), FOX and probably Marvel (eventually). When Muppets Courtyard does go, and it will in the next 10 years I expect, it will be for a Star Wars expansion. Everything about the Monsters Inc Land designs scream Animation Courtyard to me.
And it’s always wild to me when folks pine for the old MGM studios. Beyond the first handful of years, the studio concept was an absolute failure. It’s not like this is unique to Disney, the studio park concept was pretty much a fad of the time period that’s largely gone extinct.

So what would we rather have? A “backlot tour” through empty warehouses, or a Star Wars and Toy Story land? Or do we really think the cheap cityscape facades with nothing tangible to do were THAT good?

fgmnt

Recognizing this is fully in the bargaining phase, but if Monstropolis is to take over the Grand Avenue Courtyard, it's not a titanic lift to run the show in a different theater on the property or even in the park! I think it's an essential attraction to have in the attraction mix of the parks but the location is not essential.

Sectorkeeper71

Recognizing this is fully in the bargaining phase, but if Monstropolis is to take over the Grand Avenue Courtyard, it's not a titanic lift to run the show in a different theater on the property or even in the park! I think it's an essential attraction to have in the attraction mix of the parks but the location is not essential.
There’s so many spots that it could go to in the park. Though I’d argue even easier to move is the Disney jr show, and that already has the set up to convert back to a restaurant as well…

Sneaky

There’s so many spots that it could go to in the park. Though I’d argue even easier to move is the Disney jr show, and that already has the set up to convert back to a restaurant as well…
where would it be able to be to fit all the infrastructure? Idk if Disney jr would fit. One thing I worry about for moving it to Epcot is if putting it in the deadzone imagination pavilion would condemn it to poor numbers.

Sectorkeeper71

where would it be able to be to fit all the infrastructure? Idk if Disney jr would fit.
How much infrastructure does it have? It’s just the stage, area for costuming for the characters on stage, and an empty floor space for the guests correct? And the lighting rigs

That building that houses the animation shorts that now houses sounds dangerous, how big is that? I know where some of the meet and greets are used to house American idol auditions as well. Could that not be utilized? (Honest question, I’m not sure myself)

UNCgolf

And it’s always wild to me when folks pine for the old MGM studios. Beyond the first handful of years, the studio concept was an absolute failure. It’s not like this is unique to Disney, the studio park concept was pretty much a fad of the time period that’s largely gone extinct.

So what would we rather have? A “backlot tour” through empty warehouses, or a Star Wars and Toy Story land? Or do we really think the cheap cityscape facades with nothing tangible to do were THAT good?

It's because it was such a well themed place from start to finish (the Backlot Tour was a lot better than TSL too, but that's a separate discussion). Everything worked together to create a cohesive whole. It was really a cool place to wander around and be immersed in the theme.

It absolutely wouldn't still work like that now, especially with no working studio and no more animation -- it had to be changed. But I did enjoy it more than the current version of DHS because the theming was so good, even down to what was for sale in the stores.

Sneaky

How much infrastructure does it have? It’s just the stage, area for costuming for the characters on stage, and an empty floor space for the guests correct? And the lighting rigs

That building that houses the animation shorts that now houses sounds dangerous, how big is that? I know where some of the meet and greets are used to house American idol auditions as well. Could that not be utilized? (Honest question, I’m not sure myself)
Also the fireworks on the ceiling, the fake holes for the explosion part, statler and Waldorf on the side, sweedish chef in the back..

ERED

If it never was, this all but assured everyone that it never will be in his fingers.

They almost scored a touchdown and then threw the ball to the other team at the five yard line.
I disagree. Anytime they've changed anything, an uproar comes from somewhere....they expected this and accept it. And I'm actually fine with this one.

RSoxNo1

A suspended coaster is just about the last thing DHS needs. I don't think they should be building another coaster there period right now -- the park is already heavy on thrill rides -- but if they do, they at least have to have some kind of major high capacity attraction along with it. There was no indication of that, though.

If this is replacing Star Tours, it may actually make the park worse.

It's possible they haven't actually decided what they're going to do yet. They've committed to building a Monsters Inc. land but they haven't nailed the details of where they're going to build it.

Specifically seems like this one, labeled as "coming soon"

1.05 meter requirement, so round up to 42 inches.

A few things here.

• I was told by two different sources on Friday that the Monster's Inc Coaster was going to Muppets Courtyard. One said it may also be extending to Star Tours as well.
  • Some have speculated that they may not know exactly where this is going, I think they do and I think it's Muppets. I hope I'm wrong. It's also possible that something else is earmarked for Animation Courtyard
  • I put this in the TRON category. Not for intensity or anything, but because it's not really what the park needs but I'd consider it a welcome addition. The same was true of MK, it didn't need TRON, but it's not a bad addition. That being said, I sincerely hope there are plans for the Muppets if they're being evicted.
  • I have heard from multiple people that this is going to be a low capacity attraction. If it's that Vekoma coaster, it most certainly will be low capacity. I feared that this was something like Pteranadon Flyers but I don't think it's that bad.

Sectorkeeper71

It's because it was such a well themed place from start to finish (the Backlot Tour was a lot better than TSL too, but that's a separate discussion).

Everything worked together to create a cohesive whole. It was really a cool place to wander around and be immersed in the theme.

It absolutely wouldn't still work like that now, especially with no working studio and no more animation -- it had to be changed. But I did enjoy it more than the current version of DHS because the theming was so good, even down to what was for sale in the stores.
I can certainly understand the argument for cohesive theming. Definitely had more rhyme and reason back in the day.

In my lifetime (mid 90s on) I don’t think the backlot tour was ever really worth much imo. So much stuff had been cleared out during the time I can remember riding it as a kid, that it didn’t really offer much to see.

I’ll grant you back in the earlier years there was definitely more to see. But once residential street got bulldozed I don’t think it was worth much as compared to the old days, especially with that massive footprint

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom