News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ichabod Crane

Realistically, I can’t see Mermaid leaving yet, so in AC, it would feel more like a ride than a land. And they would keep that dead end in the park. At this point, I’d rather they wait until they have a concept large enough to justify clearing out everything back there to connect to Sunset Blvd. And they apparently do have such a concept.
I’ve heard that they wouldn’t need to touch Mermaid right away and would leave it running for around a year or so after starting construction if they go with AC.

But yeah, I think part of the problem is that they really want something else for the AC plot.

I've never heard of The Wrap or the author of this piece, but they win the snarky columnist award for this one:

Drew does an animation podcast with Jim Hill and worked with Disney at some point (something animation related but can't remember what). They talk about the parks on the podcast a decent amount and the comment you highlighted is a common theme - he's not a fan of what the parks have become.

This article really es me off. WDI purposefully omitted the closing at D23 because they knew it would get a negative reaction on stage. Cowards.

MerlinTheGoat

Once again, they're not replacing the only ride that has Darth Vader, arguably one of the, if not the most iconic villain in cinema, at the Star Wars park.
To be fair, they have been recently showing versions of the film without Vader. For a while, they had replaced Vader with Kylo Ren, and currently (at least within the past 6 months), they just had a probe droid instead of either. So i'm not entirely sure how sacred even Vader is. They could also just create a scenario for the Falcon ride that contains Vader if they wanted. While that land is set in the sequel era, i'm not sure they care all that much about timeline continuity, since again they've been running Star Tour with multiple random eras spread across several generations (sometime even within the same film).

mattpeto

It's so difficult to know what's going to happen until Disney officially says something. Insiders with great sources are saying Grand Avenue while other insiders with great sources are saying Animation. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I know my preference.
I'm at this stage as well.

I'm also probably one of the rare people that are okay with RoA/MK changes, but don't want them to kill Muppets or change/kill HoP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once again, they're not replacing the only ride that has Darth Vader, arguably one of the, if not the most iconic villain in cinema, at the Star Wars park.

I've been hearing only conflicting information about the location since yesterday morning. It's a civil war behind the scenes, I'm advising everyone to stock up on canned foods and shotguns.

They spent $1 billion dollars on a Star Wars land that specifically didn’t have Darth Vader in the Star Wars park. They also got rid of the Darth Vader meet and greet. One small bit in Star Tours that isn’t even seen by every rider isn’t enough to save it.
Just for you kids at home in the cheap seats

Look at any…and every… list of the most iconic villains of all time and in the top 5 are Darth Vader and the wicked witch of the west

…not enough room for either in todays “Disneys Hollywood studios”

But governor Radcliffe is cool and all…

Stranger than fiction

JohnD

My theory is that the only reasons not to announce the location at D23 are 1) They don't know where it's going or 2) They know we won't like where it's going. They displayed a model of the coaster already, so which do you think is more likely?
I'm thinking MC. Easier to build there. Just build the coaster in the back of the area and extend it into the parking lot. Retheme Pizzerizos to Harryhausen's. Retheme the gift shop. If there really is a new show, then Disney must have known for a while that they were replacing Muppets. They've already gone to the trouble to replace the seats and install new lighting effects which can be switched out.

AC takes more effort. It's more "cramped". Offices have to be moved, etc.

Phicinfan

I had heard AC (that’s what it was originally designed for), but if someone here works in that area and openly refutes its placement there, who am I to question that? And if it’s not AC, it’s Grand Ave.

We will just have to wait for an announcement or permit.

Either way, both areas are slated for redevelopment at some point, so MuppetVision won’t be around by ~2029, regardless (and neither will those apparently unmovable offices…were they built on an Indian burial ground or something?).
If this is true, would this not be destined for Star Wars expansion? Assuming they want more. Just seems to me taking Muppets for Monsters Inc, totally locks up Star wars

LSLS

I previously mentioned the height requirement issue.

Apparently, the feeling is that the "new" Mermaid show will offset the loss of Muppets. Read into that what you will. To me, it's not new, but Disney's treating it as a new addition.
Not laughing at you, laughing at that thought process. "If we shut something down for a few years, then reopen it, BAM, new capacity."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom