News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

zipadee999

An important element to remember with the SNW stuff being built right now is that it was designed way back in the 2015-17 timeframe. That’s why the Mario section is more in line with 3D world aesthetically as opposed to say, Odyssey or Wonder. It’s a similar situation with DK in that it was designed before K Rool’s entry to Smash and subsequent resurgence.

I know they’re building the power up band games for sure but I heard that the actual playground area got “phase 2’d”.
I also wonder if some of it had to do with cost. The Kremlings, especially K Rool, would likely need full-scale animatronics built to do them justice like they’re doing for the Kong’s themselves. The Tikis on the other hand can be represented by a prop on a stick that slightly waves back and forth.

Some could say they went with the tikis because they’re more ‘relevant’ than the Kremlings, but if that was the case wouldn’t they be going with the enemies from Tropical Freeze?

celluloid

It’s not in the concept art at all, it’s not in the model at the Epic Universe preview center either.

The only playground in the park that’s shown is one in How to Train Your Dragon.

While it is not labeled at the model at the preview center. I would look at the details. Interesting. Maybe just the treehouse outdoor play elements and the ones in the child/rider swap.

Chip Chipperson

idk why but I feel the captian EO claim is so oddly specific and strange that there’s no way it isn’t based in some sort of fact.
Maybe someone at Disney realized that one of their friends was leaking information that had been shared in confidence and fed the suspects different false rumors to see which ones turned up online. When the Captain EO rumor (and/or others) popped up, they knew they had their culprit and called Henry up to read him the riot act, leading to deleted posts and no more Henry (on this board, not in the mafia sense).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe someone at Disney realized that one of their friends was leaking information that had been shared in confidence and fed the suspects different false rumors to see which ones turned up online. When the Captain EO rumor (and/or others) popped up, they knew they had their culprit and called Henry up to read him the riot act, leading to deleted posts and no more Henry (on this board, not in the mafia sense).
Or, his posts got someone else chewed out or fired.

Or, the mods saw him do something not good.

Or, he uncorked another TROLLING.

Disstevefan1

Honestly, does it really matter?

This stuff eventually gets announced and built, or it doesn't. I wouldn't get excited about anything until Disney has actually started construction.
For me, its not if it gets built or not, its Disney feeling the need to destroy and replace attractions instead of building new attractions in either totally new undeveloped land or currently un used areas of the park.

Last edited:

Bocabear

And let's face it.. Animation Courtyard is basically dead space...the Animation studio tour has been closed since the division closed in 2004...then it hobbled along as a magic of Animation tour....which was not at all the same thing, until that closed in 2015... then it was a placeholder for Star Wars Land... It has not been a real attraction since the real studio tour ended 20 years ago. Now they are going to mess this up by putting a new Mermaid show in the theater which will block this area from being anything meaningful for another 20 years... The could put the Mermaid show where the Frozen Singalong waste of time is.... or build a theater for it in the MK adjacent to the Mermaid ride where it would actually be a better fit... It is like they are determined to keep the park a random messy patchwork of IP...

TrainsOfDisney

the Animation studio tour has been closed since the division closed in 2004...then it hobbled along as a magic of Animation tour....which was not at all the same thing, until that closed in 2015... then it was a placeholder for Star Wars Land... It has not been a real attraction since the real studio tour ended 20 years ago.
You are not wrong, but it’s like everything else with recent Disney - it was neglected and left to rot.

If there had been any attempt to keep the animation building alive with updates and new experiences, let alone an actual attraction like runaway railway - it could have easily continued to be an actual attraction.

celluloid

Guys, there will be two and a half years where the monster's queue and gravity building will be under work with demolition and building it.

Mermaid was revamped to easily have something play on the left side of Animation Courtyard while the rest is under walls.

The right side will become a dining interactive location(where Disney Jr is)

And on the left side, after that Mermaid will be gutted to become the indoor Play area for Monsters Inc scene in the concept art.

MerlinTheGoat

@celluloid @Ichabod Crane Thank you both for the info regarding the Nintendo and specifically DK stuff! The story I heard was that Uni Creative was using the engagement the K.Rool Smash reveal got to convince Nintendo to let them use Kremlings for EU at least and got shot down.
This seems consistent with Nintendo's policies regarding those characters, at least at the time this land was conceptualized. The early models of the DK area also had an area with an animatronic of one of the animal buddies from Rareware's original DKC trilogy- Ellie the Elephant. I don't believe she made the cut either. Only the rhino has appeared in the newer Retro Studios revival.

Nintendo went through a phase of making weird decisions regarding the sort of characters they allowed developers to use in their games. There was discussion between Nintendo and Retro Studios developers that I can't find right now, but basically Nintendo's people told Retro not to use the Kremlings and to do something different. Problem is that the new characters of the Tikis and Snowmads aren't nearly as cool or well loved as the Kremlings. I'm somewhat suspicious that there's some bad blood still between Nintendo and Rare even today. Shigeru Miyamoto wasn't a huge fan of those original games and even designed one of his own games in the 90s in a sort of opposite way even down to the art style (Yoshi's Island being one example).

This sort of meddling from Nintendo affected Paper Mario for a number of years as well, but in a sort of opposite way. They told the developers not to make unique takes on classic Nintendo owned character designs and only use the generic established designs. Paper Mario has always been known for the way it uniquely redresses old Mario characters like toads or koopas to give them more unique appearances and personalities.

They seem to have loosened up as of late. Mario games have become less visually generic compared to how they were in the 2010s. And even some of Rare's characters have had some references in newer content. Though I suspect Nintendoland came a bit too late to benefit. They ended up theming it based off the more generic Mario 3D Land/World and New Super Mario Bros series (especially the former ones). It's also a real shame that Epic is getting another clone of that same land, it's a MASSIVE missed opportunity not to theme Epic's variant after Mario Galaxy.

BrianLo

I hate to be this person, but we should not be taking his posts as gospel. Some of his posts have come true, but most of them recently were stuff already rumored beforehand. This is his post about what was to be announced before or at D23 from April. I've put in bold everything that actually was announced, and underlined everything that was announced/rumored before his post:

12.5/36, but say 13.5 because others have confirmed Moana was pulled last minute. That's a track record of 38%

Thanks for doing that legwork. To highlight for future generations on how to spot the frauds.

In addition to this being clearly a diarrhea of every existing fan rumour - 9 or 10 of these were formerly announced by Disney. Disney is the source, not Henry. Lion King was about the worst kept secret and sources to All Ears. The night parade was about the worst kept secret and sources to Steve and many, many others.

So we’re left with a Millenium Falcon new profile. In a year when there were probably 100 details that were completely missed by the insider brigade. Except the problem is I can find myself and many others chatting about this new MF profile in the Disneyland sub forum, and many of us were more accurate ‘wishing’ on Mando/grogu. It was a guess.

So, what value or insight was this poster actually verifiably providing? Even if they were legit. Even if they hadn’t admitted they were faking and yet people still were desperately defending them. One half lucky original guess and 20 wrong ones. My track record was better, many of yours too.

Make note for next time, because it will happen again and there’s still one or two others I think might have been up to the same thing. One who has also stopped posting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom