News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

phillip9698

In tech, true... Resistance is much more complex.

But Transformers is more fun and a MUCH better representation of the IP. Outside of the thrill of the escape pod unlatching, Resistance is more something to be admired then enjoyed, especially repeatedly. It sums up a lot of what's wrong with modern Disney Imagineering- impressive tech (some of which fails where less impressive tech would have achieved the same effect more reliably) but an overall experience that adds up to much less then the sum of its parts because of underwhelming design. See also Guardians and Tron and Pandora River and...

Transformers is nothing but a worse Spiderman. Much worse.

You can’t even tell what robot is doing what. Admittedly that’s due to the Michael Bay designs, but since they went with those they have to be included in the opinion.

pwnbeaver

But Transformers is more fun and a MUCH better representation of the IP. Outside of the thrill of the escape pod unlatching, Resistance is more something to be admired then enjoyed, especially repeatedly. It sums up a lot of what's wrong with modern Disney Imagineering- impressive tech (some of which fails where less impressive tech would have achieved the same effect more reliably) but an overall experience that adds up to much less then the sum of its parts because of underwhelming design. See also Guardians and Tron and Pandora River and...

I don't know, as someone who has spent his whole life watching Transformers cartoons and reading Transformers comics I would argue the ride is a horrible representation of the IP. A worse version of Spider-Man featuring forgettable music and visuals that are hard to decipher isn't what I want in Transformers.

On Rise I get to be right next to a Mon Calamari animatronic as we ride a shuttle to what feels like a full scale Star Destroyer before we ride through one of the most visually impressive things ever done in themed entertainment. If it was Darth Vader instead of Kylo this would be universally considered the most incredible thing in American theme parks. Until next year, that is.

gorillaball

I don't know, as someone who has spent his whole life watching Transformers cartoons and reading Transformers comics I would argue the ride is a horrible representation of the IP. A worse version of Spider-Man featuring forgettable music and visuals that are hard to decipher isn't what I want in Transformers.

On Rise I get to be right next to a Mon Calamari animatronic as we ride a shuttle to what feels like a full scale Star Destroyer before we ride through one of the most visually impressive things ever done in themed entertainment. If it was Darth Vader instead of Kylo this would be universally considered the most incredible thing in American theme parks. Until next year, that is.
What’s going to be the topper? The HP ride? I can’t tell much on it yet from what little I know.

pwnbeaver

What’s going to be the topper? The HP ride? I can’t tell much on it yet from what little I know.

It's looking like both the Harry Potter ride and Monsters could surpass it. I'm trying to keep my expectations lower for Monsters though.

If you want to hear more about the rides and don't mind potential spoilers, Parkstop from Alicia Stella (YouTube or Podcast) has been detailing Epic Universe with nearly 100% accuracy for the past many years.

999th Happy Haunt

It's looking like both the Harry Potter ride and Monsters could surpass it. I'm trying to keep my expectations lower for Monsters though.

If you want to hear more about the rides and don't mind potential spoilers, Parkstop from Alicia Stella (YouTube or Podcast) has been detailing Epic Universe with nearly 100% accuracy for the past many years.
From what I’ve heard both will be incredible, but I think Monsters Unchained especially will be a strong contender for best ride in the world when it opens.

Seems like they’re tagerting a “scary even for adults” feel that hasn’t been done since Alien Encounter, and even then it sounds like the scariness of the final product is exceeding expectations. An absolute breath of fresh air, really hoping it all pans out as expected.

aladdin2007

FWIW and a bit ironic, Disney hasn't confirmed the closure of the Monster's Inc ride at DCA either. We also don't officially know where the Coco ride is going.

So, Florida's lack of official confirmation isn't unique.
also odd they said Coco would be a boat ride out there, but would not say the ride type for Encanto here...everything just sort of feels all over the place.

bwr827

Imagine if they’d tapped into the ferocity of the Vader hallway scene from Rogue One.

wdwfan4ver

I grew up with the Transformers. What I mean by that is I remembered when the 1984 toyline came out, the 1980s Transformers Cartoons, and the 1986 animated movie. All of that first came out during my childhood.

The problem with Transformers: the ride is the fact its based on Michael Bay's Transformers movies and you need to blame Michael Bay as a result. A lot of people felt Michael Bay didn't do the Transformers IP justice.

doctornick

I mean, I would agree that Transformers is a great representation of the IP - much like the Bay films, it's a chaotic mess of suckitude. It's a terrible theme park attraction though - all you do is get jostled around and the film is so erratic that you can't really tell who is who and what is going on.

A Transformers ride based on the cartoon where the characters are so much more visually interesting and distinctive would be a massive improvement. The Spider-Man ride despite a virtually identical ride pattern is easily one of the greatest theme park rides in history - which is the perfect illustration that ride mechanics isn't the key, what you do with the ride is what matters.

Edit: for that matter, I think RotR and Cosmic Rewind are absolutely phenomenal rides and would welcome Disney building a lot more things like them.

doctornick

FWIW and a bit ironic, Disney hasn't confirmed the closure of the Monster's Inc ride at DCA either. We also don't officially know where the Coco ride is going.

So, Florida's lack of official confirmation isn't unique.

So, a little off topic but not too much... I really hope that if Disney brings that Coco ride to WDW (and I hope they do) that they bring it to DHS. It seems like the perfect kind of ride that DHS needs and I wouldn't mind having a Mexico-ish miniland at DHS even though it would be repetitive with the other parks. I know it is more likely to go into MK as part of a later BTMRR expansion (but who knows) but it was definitely the "thing" at D23 that strikes me as the best fit for DHS's needs.

Casper Gutman

I mean, I would agree that Transformers is a great representation of the IP - much like the Bay films, it's a chaotic mess of suckitude. It's a terrible theme park attraction though - all you do is get jostled around and the film is so erratic that you can't really tell who is who and what is going on.

A Transformers ride based on the cartoon where the characters are so much more visually interesting and distinctive would be a massive improvement. The Spider-Man ride despite a virtually identical ride pattern is easily one of the greatest theme park rides in history - which is the perfect illustration that ride mechanics isn't the key, what you do with the ride is what matters.

Edit: for that matter, I think RotR and Cosmic Rewind are absolutely phenomenal rides and would welcome Disney building a lot more things like them.
Honestly, I understand that the action in the Transformers films is confusing, but that’s due largely to constant camera movements and rapid edits. The action in the ride absolutely doesn’t feature these problems at all. The character design can be confusing, but it’s clear who the goodies and the baddies are and who Optimus and Bumblebee are, and that’s all you need. If you care beyond that, the ride very clearly SAYS THE NAME of each character as they appear. I’m perplexed by folks having so much difficulty following the action.

In fact, a lot of the criticism of the ride seems to be thinly veiled criticism of the films. The films are bad, yes. But I’ve always dismissed criticisms of Resistance based on the quality of the sequel trilogy, but if those are the rules folks want to play by, Disney’s attraction should be faulted for being shamelessly derivative of the far superior original trilogy and relying entirely on two incredibly pathetic, uninteresting villains in Hux and Kylo.

I’m not claiming Transformers is great. It isn’t. I’m claiming Resistance is MASSIVELY over-praised because of how important it is to MGM and the Disney Company.

And Guardians is a fine coaster and an utter failure as a Disney attraction.

Quietmouse

Honestly, I understand that the action in the Transformers films is confusing, but that’s due largely to constant camera movements and rapid edits. The action in the ride absolutely doesn’t feature these problems at all. The character design can be confusing, but it’s clear who the goodies and the baddies are and who Optimus and Bumblebee are, and that’s all you need. If you care beyond that, the ride very clearly SAYS THE NAME of each character as they appear. I’m perplexed by folks having so much difficulty following the action.

In fact, a lot of the criticism of the ride seems to be thinly veiled criticism of the films. The films are bad, yes. But I’ve always dismissed criticisms of Resistance based on the quality of the sequel trilogy, but if those are the rules folks want to play by, Disney’s attraction should be faulted for being shamelessly derivative of the far superior original trilogy and relying entirely on two incredibly pathetic, uninteresting villains in Hux and Kylo.

I’m not claiming Transformers is great. It isn’t. I’m claiming Resistance is MASSIVELY over-praised because of how important it is to MGM and the Disney Company.

And Guardians is a fine coaster and an utter failure as a Disney attraction.

Guardians is easily the top 5 attractions in Disney world. No cap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom