News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Honestly, I understand that the action in the Transformers films is confusing, but that’s due largely to constant camera movements and rapid edits. The action in the ride absolutely doesn’t feature these problems at all. The character design can be confusing, but it’s clear who the goodies and the baddies are and who Optimus and Bumblebee are, and that’s all you need. If you care beyond that, the ride very clearly SAYS THE NAME of each character as they appear. I’m perplexed by folks having so much difficulty following the action.

In fact, a lot of the criticism of the ride seems to be thinly veiled criticism of the films. The films are bad, yes. But I’ve always dismissed criticisms of Resistance based on the quality of the sequel trilogy, but if those are the rules folks want to play by, Disney’s attraction should be faulted for being shamelessly derivative of the far superior original trilogy and relying entirely on two incredibly pathetic, uninteresting villains in Hux and Kylo.

I’m not claiming Transformers is great. It isn’t. I’m claiming Resistance is MASSIVELY over-praised because of how important it is to MGM and the Disney Company.

And Guardians is a fine coaster and an utter failure as a Disney attraction.
My wife and I are doing universal for the first time and quite literally just got off transformers. We both had absolutely no clue what was happening. We also rode rise this week and while it for sure has its issues it was much easier to follow from just a story telling standpoint. We clearly knew who we where supposed to be and what we where doing.

Not really fair comparing the two in my opinion though, as one is a world class headlining attraction in my opinion, and one is a filler attraction for a ride that similar to DHS seems to desperately need attractions.

To add, seems like this should be nipped in the bud as it has nothing to do with muppets or monsters 🤷‍♂️

Casper Gutman

Guardians is easily the top 5 attractions in Disney world. No cap.
We all have opinions. I don’t think it cracks the top 15 (Rise does). It’s in the top 5 at EPCOT, I suppose.

What Guardians offers, other non-Disney and non-Uni parks do better and in more volume. The theming adds very little to it.

And to bring this back to Monsters, the last thing Disney needs after GotG and Tron is another coaster-in-a-box with an IP loosely slapped on top.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

My wife and I are doing universal for the first time and quite literally just got off transformers. We both had absolutely no clue what was happening. We also rode rise this week and while it for sure has its issues it was much easier to follow from just a story telling standpoint. We clearly knew who we where supposed to be and what we where doing.

Not really fair comparing the two in my opinion though, as one is a world class headlining attraction in my opinion, and one is a filler attraction for a ride that similar to DHS seems to desperately need attractions.

To add, seems like this should be nipped in the bud as it has nothing to do with muppets or monsters 🤷‍♂️
Have you seen any of the Transformers films? I certainly wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve only seen a couple, but the ride plot is pretty straightforward - baddies want magic thing and goodies and guests don’t want them to have magic thing. The goodies win.

Honestly, the silliest, most unclear element in either Transformers or Resistance is “mega-powerful evil space wizard gets smacked in face by loose ceiling tile and is no longer a threat.”

hopemax

Re: Transformers

They explain a lot in the queue videos. The line is usually not long enough to watch all the videos in the course of your wait, but they have it open so you can watch the queue videos at your leisure. They're probably on YouTube somewhere. Rise would be a lot less understandable if people bypassed the shuttle and Rey's video every time they rode too.

I had to have Spider-Man explained to me, because I don't know comic book Spiderman Villains. I did know Doctor Octopus, and DH's favorite Hobgoblin. I do know who Megatron, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are, without needing explanations.

ParkPeeker

And to bring this back to Monsters, the last thing Disney needs after GotG and Tron is another coaster-in-a-box with an IP loosely slapped on top.
But unlike Gotg and Tron this isn’t a coaster in a box with IP loosely slapped on top. It’s quite literally the inside of the factory. The art and model point to a very accurate replica of not only the door vault, but also the scare/laugh floor. Everything is a recognizable and specific location. The ride concept art/model makes it clear that it’s not just some arbitrary indoor factory space with monster themed doors, there’s nothing loose about it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
But unlike Gotg and Tron this isn’t a coaster in a box with IP loosely slapped on top. It’s quite literally the inside of the factory. The art and model point to a very accurate replica of not only the door vault, but also the scare/laugh floor. Everything is a recognizable and specific location. The ride concept art/model makes it clear that it’s not just some arbitrary indoor factory space with monster themed doors, there’s nothing loose about it.

I'm going to wait until the final product. GOTG was supposed to have a LOT more than we got

DarkMetroid567

We all have opinions. I don’t think it cracks the top 15 (Rise does). It’s in the top 5 at EPCOT, I suppose.

What Guardians offers, other non-Disney and non-Uni parks do better and in more volume. The theming adds very little to it.
I’ll bite: I’m not the biggest Cosmic Rewind fan and prefer TRON, but what are some examples of better attractions re: what Guardians offers?

My go-to thoughts are Time Traveler and Ride to Happiness, which are incredible rides but understandably would never fly at a Disney park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, this ride sorta had urban legend status around here. Lot of people talked it up all the way back to the Spirited days.

doctornick

I'm going to wait until the final product. GOTG was supposed to have a LOT more than we got
It’s interesting but based on details on the ride and even ride photos/video, the ride might seem only okay at best. But it truly is way more than the sum of its parts. It’s just such an actual phenomenal experience when it doesn’t seem like it should be. And going in I thought it really missed the vibe of the Guardians (captured quite well in Mission Breakout), but Cosmic Rewind actually fit the property really well. It really doesn’t deserve to be as good as it is. Even my non thrill ride favoring elderly mother loves CR.

It’s certainly more expensive that it should have been, but I can easily say it’s the best coaster Disney has ever built and it just perfectly hits a balance the level of intensity for a Disney park. It knocked Everest off the top spot for me for favorite Disney coaster.

I just wish they would take it off VQ so you can ride it repeatedly if desired and willing to wait.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s certainly more expensive that it should have been, but I can easily say it’s the best coaster Disney has ever built and it just perfectly hits a balance the level of intensity for a Disney park. It knocked Everest off the top spot for me for favorite Disney coaster.
Everest is tricky cause without all the working effects it is not as good as it should be - but I think it’s still #1 for me.

There are definitely some really cool moments on rewind - I’m excited to see what Tokyo does with the concept combined with space mountain.

Quietmouse

Cosmic rewind is the type of experience that I have never felt on a ride at Disney. Really, anywhere honestly. It’s not even necessarily about the mechanics of the ride or the theming, but the sheer emotion you get. It’s truly something that’s hard to describe, especially to someone whose never gotten a chance to ride it.

I hate to be hyperbolic about rides, but it’s genuinely a ride that I could only describe as, “transcending”.

Homemade Imagineering

Cosmic Rewind specifically with "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" is a transcending experience.
Last time I went to Epcot w my family, I woke up extra early on our last day at Epcot & rope dropped the park. Reserved a virtual queue for gotg first thing in the morning & was the first group that day. I ended up getting Everybody Wants to Rule the World by myself & my entire family was angry they missed out on it & slept in😭😭 although the previous day we got September our first ride which was pretty great

bwr827

Last time I went to Epcot w my family, I woke up extra early on our last day at Epcot & rope dropped the park. Reserved a virtual queue for gotg first thing in the morning & was the first group that day. I ended up getting Everybody Wants to Rule the World by myself & my entire family was angry they missed out on it & slept in😭😭 although the previous day we got September our first ride which was pretty great
Snooze they lose. Well done.

I’ve ridden Cosmic twice and got September both times. If they would finally open a standby line, maybe I’d have a better shot at different songs.

djlaosc

Going back to Launch Bay...

If they wanted to keep the Darth Vader/Chewbacca/BB-8 Meet and Greets around, but didn't want to use space such as Vacation Fun, Meet Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight and Meet Mickey and Minnie at Red Carpet Dreams, could they use the Galactic Starcruiser in a way similar to Rafiki's Planet Watch at Disney's Animal Kingdom, or Hogwarts Express at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure? Do the insides still exist?

They could either use the buses that they were using for transport to/from the hotel, or build something to replace it, like a peoplemover/train, and take people over to the Galactic Starcruiser.

Host the meet and greets there, reopen The Crown of Corellia Dining Room (either quick service or table service with reservations) and The Sublight Lounge (could use reservations like Oga's Cantina and Space 220 Lounge if required), sell different Star Wars merchandise.

Would allow them to use what they have already built, instead of standing there empty, keep the attractions that they already have, expand the park, and remove the Launch Bay for further expansion.

RosR9

So, a little off topic but not too much... I really hope that if Disney brings that Coco ride to WDW (and I hope they do) that they bring it to DHS. It seems like the perfect kind of ride that DHS needs and I wouldn't mind having a Mexico-ish miniland at DHS even though it would be repetitive with the other parks. I know it is more likely to go into MK as part of a later BTMRR expansion (but who knows) but it was definitely the "thing" at D23 that strikes me as the best fit for DHS's needs.
Harrrrrd agree. Super bummed we didn’t get coco here!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If they wanted to keep the Darth Vader/Chewbacca/BB-8 Meet and Greets around, but didn't want to use space such as Vacation Fun, Meet Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight and Meet Mickey and Minnie at Red Carpet Dreams, could they use the Galactic Starcruiser in a way similar to Rafiki's Planet Watch at Disney's Animal Kingdom, or Hogwarts Express at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure? Do the insides still exist?

They could either use the buses that they were using for transport to/from the hotel, or build something to replace it, like a peoplemover/train, and take people over to the Galactic Starcruiser.

Host the meet and greets there, reopen The Crown of Corellia Dining Room (either quick service or table service with reservations) and The Sublight Lounge (could use reservations like Oga's Cantina and Space 220 Lounge if required), sell different Star Wars merchandise.

Would allow them to use what they have already built, instead of standing there empty, keep the attractions that they already have, expand the park, and remove the Launch Bay for further expansion.

If they're never going to build the TSR restaurant, they can build a M&G there.

Or, they can convert the store attached to MV3D to a M&G.

Or they can kick out the M&Gs in the spaces you mentioned and find a new home for them, especially the one right across from Star Tours.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Knowing Disney's track record, the insides are probably 90% intact unless they already have plans for it, or found some way to sell off/re-use some things.

sedati

If they're never going to build the TSR restaurant, they can build a M&G there.

Or, they can convert the store attached to MV3D to a M&G.

Or they can kick out the M&Gs in the spaces you mentioned and find a new home for them, especially the one right across from Star Tours.
There are empty buildings in Galaxy’s edge are there not? One next to the garage and one opposite the cantina which was to be a clothing boutique I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom