News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Chip Chipperson

Disney has made many attempts with the Muppets over the years. Decent ones too.

• The Muppets in 2011
  • Muppets Most Wanted in 2014
  • Muppet Moments in 2015
  • The Muppets (TV) in 2015
  • Muppets on D+ 2019 (canceled during development)
  • Muppets Now in 2020
  • Muppets Haunted Mansion in 2021
  • Muppets Mayhem in 2023
None of these shows received enough eyeballs to keep them going. The two Muppet movies in 2011 and 2014 made a combined $240M. Inc context it took Inside Out 2 one week to top both films.

Muppets aren't just popular with a broader audience.
I loved the series on ABC. It was worth making for the Animal/Dave Grohl drum-off scene alone. I also liked Muppets Now and Muppets Haunted Mansion. Muppets Mayhem was okay but underwhelming to me - it still would have been worth giving it a 2nd season to see if it got better, though.

Fido Chuckwagon

Am I seeing this right? We’re back to it’s too hot…so people don’t go to Florida again?

Right…it’s not at all the price…the upsell…and the uncomfortable environment Bob has intentionally create to bleed us all?

Can’t be that…wouldn’t result in an attendance lag that they have to admit publicly and to their financial detriment.

Nope
No, it was specific to TSI. MK can be absolutely packed 10/10 crowd levels and wall to wall people, but if it's 90+ degrees out than TSI is going to be a ghost town.

phillip9698

There has been some decent content there, but in general the type of budget needed for a Muppets production is really a streaming level budget. The days of Disney putting out a major theatrical release involving the Muppets are behind us. They're a nice franchise, but there are plenty of other streaming options that outperform the Muppets.

I'll preface this by saying that our family enjoys Bluey. It's remarkably popular on Disney+ (top 5 streamed shows). If Monstropolis wasn't happening and they simply said they were replacing Muppet*Vision with a 15 minute Bluey 3-d show, I'd guess it would draw more crowds than Muppet*Vision.

The biggest thing the Muppets have for them is nostalgia, and Disney doesn't typically like dealing in nostalgia for new builds (non-Indiana Jones division).

Not sure Disney would want to pay to feature Bluey when they dont own the property. I thought it was strange they didnt have a PJ Mask meet and greet over in that kiddie area as they property was white hot years ago. I was told that because Disney didnt own the property, only licensed it, they wouldnt do it.

But back to the point at hand. IMO Disney would come out better if they aimed the demo of the Muppets down to kids. The ship has sailed on targeting adults. In the age of streaming, few adults are going to choose to watch the Muppets when they have every piece of media available to them at their fingertips. Aim it back at kids, then kids would clamor to visit their attraction(s) and ask for merch. Most of their characters can easily transition to that level of humor. Hell, me and my sister religiously watched Muppet Babies as kids (it doesnt necessarily have to go back to babies though).

Gusey

At what point do we start to look at the Muppets as a dead franchise? They're 124th on the box office list for franchises, with a lot of terrible franchises ahead of them

Monsters Inc. is #71
But you can't base The Muppets' success on just Box Office because it started as a TV show, that had feature films. Similarly, The Simpsons aren't on that list, but still an active franchise. If you want to base The Muppets success as a franchise on anything, it would probably be on just how many movies (8), TV Movies (3) TV shows (14) and TV Specials (26) they've had

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
At what point do we start to look at the Muppets as a dead franchise? They're 124th on the box office list for franchises, with a lot of terrible franchises ahead of them

Monsters Inc. is #71
Indiana Jones 4 and 5 were both terrible movies, with 5 loosing an ungodly amount of money.

But we're getting an Indy Attraction at DAK.

denyuntilcaught

Indiana Jones 4 and 5 were both terrible movies, with 5 loosing an ungodly amount of money.

But we're getting an Indy Attraction at DAK.
Good point, but I also argue that box office isn't the only metric of what makes a healthy franchise. It's an outdated way of measuring up a franchise given how fractured theatrical/streaming environment is nowadays. Does anyone have insight on the amount of merch the franchise moves?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Monsters Inc. is #71
Where is Mickey Mouse on that list? Oops….better redo the Mickey train into a Twilight ride. Much more popular movie franchise. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Good point, but I also argue that box office isn't the only metric of what makes a healthy franchise. It's an outdated way of measuring up a franchise given how fractured theatrical/streaming environment is nowadays. Does anyone have insight on the amount of merch the franchise moves?
Sadly you're only as good as your latest.

GravityFalls

It's about the total amount of revenue a property can potentially generate. The Box Office Mojo list of franchises doesn't quite capture that.

Lily & Stitch, for instance, doesn't show up on that list. But the characters sell tons of merchandise to this day, as of right now there are 184 results for "Stitch" on ShopDisney (more than Cars, Monsters, etc.)

The key thing is that with any property, Disney corporate has to strategize how best to support that property in order to extract the max amount of revenue possible. There's so much to consider.

Would a Stitch attraction increase merchandise sales? Maybe, maybe not. It's possible the character is already reaching its peak and a new attraction won't meaningly affect those numbers. Or is an attraction is needed to sustain these numbers? Has a lack of an attraction hurt these numbers? Stitch sells more in Japan, is that a cultural difference or because he has attractions in both Adventureland and Tomorrowland?

There's a fair amount of surveying, forecasting, guess work, creative ambition, and personal taste that goes into all of these decisions. It's not as simple as Cars is the biggest franchise without an attraction, so let's add an attraction. Or Muppets doesn't sell merch anymore, let's get rid of the theater. Those decisions might make sense (and probably do), but there are multiple factors at play.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to Wikipedia Muppets are top 50 all time highest grossing media franchises. Mickey and friends are #2 behind Pokémon. This is probably a better gage of at least profitability of a franchise combining TV, box office and merchandise sales. They do include Sesame Street with the Muppets which is probably fair but for WDW those characters aren’t involved.

Professortango1

Monsters Inc. is #71
At what point does the forum discussing the Monsters Inc land stop talking about Muppet movies and spitballing ideas for Muppet attractions around various resorts.

GravityFalls

According to Wikipedia Muppets are top 50 all time highest grossing media franchises. Mickey and friends are #2 behind Pokémon. This is probably a better gage of at least profitability of a franchise combining TV, box office and merchandise sales. They do include Sesame Street with the Muppets which is probably fair but for WDW those characters aren’t involved.

I'd be a little weary of this list. It's a good estimate, but the sourcing is from various different years and there are various methodologies used to reach these numbers. Unfortunately we'll likely never have access to true internal numbers.

Lilo & Stitch isn't on this list. But the property has had one theatrical movie, multiple direct-to-video movies, theme park attractions, TV shows in the US, Japan, and China, and sells a ton of merchandise. It likely would be on this list, but the revenue hasn't been reported so there is nothing for Wikipedia to source.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom