News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sneaky

This site has made the word “mandate” lose its meaning for me. This has always been a thing, replacing older stuff with newer stuff. I shudder to imagine what the star tours replacing inner space news would be like if this forum was around at the time. It does suck for muppets to close though, and they shouldn’t do it
It matters what replaces what though. Sometimes it isn’t really worth it. If I could have my way, we’d be riding the great movie ride after a whirlwind tour on runaway railway, and riding horizons while we wait for our cosmic rewind virtual queue

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Josh literally said plans are drawn and dirt is moving on all of the announcements. He lied.

He meant in general with some some projects, not that everything that was announced that night already had construction starting. There's a difference.

Surferboy567

That was based on info from immediately following D23, when it was Muppets Courtyard, with an announcement by end of August. Now if the location decision has moved to Animation Courtyard, the announcement plan may also have moved with it. So at this point, I'm unsure.
The saga never ends…

abaker1975

For people that love Muppets (I do). Are you upset that Muppets are being erased or that the attraction Muppet Vision 3D could close? I have no problem with Muppet Vision 3D closing but would be sad if Muppets get totally erased at WDW.

In my dream - the Monster Inc. door coaster would become a part of Pixar Place, Muppets would get a brand new attraction to replace MV3D, Animation Courtyard would get rid of Launch Bay, reopen an improved Little Mermaid Show and a new attraction on the level of Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin at Disneyland would be added.

But no - of course this can't happen. Instead we get a new whole Monster Inc. land that will take over Muppet's Courtyard for the net benefit of 0 additional attractions.

Disney Company really deserve to be 2nd in Theme Park wars - they might actually start to go above and beyond again.

trainplane3

For people that love Muppets (I do). Are you upset that Muppets are being erased or that the attraction Muppet Vision 3D could close? I have no problem with Muppet Vision 3D closing but would be sad if Muppets get totally erased at WDW.

In my dream - the Monster Inc. door coaster would become a part of Pixar Place, Muppets would get a brand new attraction to replace MV3D, Animation Courtyard would get rid of Launch Bay, reopen an improved Little Mermaid Show and a new attraction on the level of Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin at Disneyland would be added.

But no - of course this can't happen. Instead we get a new whole Monster Inc. land that will take over Muppet's Courtyard for the net benefit of 0 additional attractions.

Disney Company really deserve to be 2nd in Theme Park wars - they might actually start to go above and beyond again.
For me it's the combo of losing MV3D but also just replacing another well performing attraction. I'm just tired of attraction replacements. Add to the parks, stop replacing. Tron was the first addition in a long time that we got. Nearly everything else was a replacement. After experiencing DL it just makes me wonder why MK has so little to do.

Sneaky

Honestly a bit of both. I want muppets to live on at wdw, and I would LOVE a new attraction at wdw with the gang. But muppet vision 3D also has some historic value with it being the final time the original muppet crew was all together, and Jim’s last project. Also it would hit close to home, as demolishing a Jim Henson built attraction, even for a new modern muppets one, would sting for muppets fans, who have had to deal with Disney’s mismanagement of the franchise. No matter what new muppets would come, it would just kinda feel like a huge middle finger.
As for me personally, I love the muppets, it’s a funny and classic attraction, the Jim stuff is worth fighting for, and it’s one of the few links to the past for DHS. Also replacing vs adding too

Surferboy567

Oh I’m not judging. I’m here, too! I care much more about MV3D than RoA. We visit MV3D every vacation while we usually skip the RoA attractions. They are left for “every other line is too long!” days for us.
I too care much more about Muppets than Rivers. Just for the simple fact I love the Muppets. Didn’t mean for that to come off like anyone was judging was just a snarky comment.

doctornick

I'm the opposite. I like the Muppets and MV and prefer to keep them around but don't have a problem if they go away from the parks.

I just think the loss of MV is a terrible idea for the functioning of DHS and they shouldn't be touching that area of the park unless/until they build in backstage areas first and increase overall capacity. I also think the idea of closing MV and spending money to add Muppets in some other location is a waste of resources. There's no reason to "shuffle deck chairs" for no capacity gain.

At a minimum, if Monsters Inc is going to replace Muppets, they should be replacing MV with a Monsters show in addition to the door coaster (and playground ideally). My primary concern is that they increase the total number of attractions in the park.

The Leader of the Club

I’m upset that MuppetVision 3D would close. It’s Jim Henson’s final performance as Kermit the Frog. It’s WDI and the Muppets on the top of their game. I don't think modern Muppets or WDI can come close to the humor or heart of this show and I think they’d agree.

It’s also the setting in which the Muppets work best. They’re putting on a show. Fozzie is telling lame jokes, Beaker is getting hurt, and Statler and Waldorf are heckling from their box. It’s almost like you actually are experiencing getting to watch the Muppet Show live. I don’t think another attraction format would suit them as well, as much as I’d love a dark ride.

doctornick

For me it's the combo of losing MV3D but also just replacing another well performing attraction. I'm just tired of attraction replacements. Add to the parks, stop replacing. Tron was the first addition in a long time that we got. Nearly everything else was a replacement. After experiencing DL it just makes me wonder why MK has so little to do.

to give some credit, Ratatouille was also a pure addition.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the biggest economic effect you could see for these capital projects would be the Fed’s rate cuts over the next year not going in Disney’s direction.
For the overall capital improvement 10 year plan…..maybe, but for these initial projects it’s much less likely to matter. They won’t need to borrow money to finance these lands. The vast majority of the debt matures 5+ years out so not much refinance risk. The use of cash for these projects is already built into the capital allocation plan laid out to Wall Street. It could be that they pull back in the second half of the “decade” if they want more cash for stock buybacks but that would be more based on longer term economics vs something short term like delayed rate cuts over the next year.

If the order of construction is AK, Cars, Monsters and then Villians it seems likely the first 2 will get done as is. Monsters could be slightly at risk and the most likely to be impacted by a pull back in funding would be villians which I assume will be last to open. That’s just the WDW spend. There’s billions allocated to ships, DLR and the international parks as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom