News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stripes

Premium Member
Universal owns their interpretation of the characters, with the park featuring new interpretations.
Correct. Just like Disney owns their depiction of Snow White but others are free to depict Snow White in a slightly different way. That company would then own the IP for their depiction.

Similarly, if they wanted to, Disney could make a Dracula movie as long as the depiction of the character was different from Universal’s and Disney would own the IP of their version of Dracula, but they still wouldn’t own the Dracula character.

jeanericuser001

Let's take a break from debating muppets for a moment.
1. Is there an actual difference in content inside the land between the two sites. For example does AC mean an additional ride, or MC mean extended Montropolis, etc? These are just examples, but do the two proposals differ in what will be included.
2. What are the actual confines of the land. Does MC also include tearing down Star Tours finally? What does AC mean for Brown Derby and Little Mermaid, and would it connect to the back of Sunset.

I think these questions are more important, because I think if we are gaining more by losing one thing, or losing more by gaining little makes me question where to put it.

1. Removing the muppets area would mean making some mistakes that are a lot less cost effective. For starters, they redid the bathroom by Rizzo's' so eliminating that is a pretty big waste of money. They have also done a lot of repair work in the vicinity lately which now has to be torn out. They have also done work on refurbishing the muppets attraction as well as adding new effects. All that is money down the drain. There have also been changes made to the restaurant in the back which is also a bit of a mistake. With all these things suggested I think its likely safe to say the muppets is safe.

2. The animation courtyard is to some extent a vacant area. The little mermaid is getting fixed for a new show soon. As for the kids area across the way, it was never a major draw either so its removal is not a serious issue. As for launch bay, much of that can be moved to other areas. Hollywood studios offers numerous spots where photo op spots can be set up. Removing this area in favor of a new spot is not out of the realm of possibility. As for the brown derby, that will not be affected that much as likely it will just be in the vicinity of construction instead of on top of it. The only attraction that is in serious danger of closure is the launch bay but even that has been a temporary measure compared to what it once was. As for star tours, that attraction is going no where as its iconic status and ability to absorb large amounts of crowds with minimal waits is a bonus for hollywood studios.

Dranth

Thanks Jim Cantore.

Summer is hot. Everywhere. Hotter in places than others. People are flocking to the beaches and cruises to guess where…Florida and the Caribbean where it’s even more humid and hotter at times.
Steady sea breeze vs. stagnant park air feels the same to you? Sure, if you somehow ignore human physiology and physics in general than I guess those are the same.

James Alucobond

So, based on the map that I put in here yesterday (now with added orange area showing what you have said above), do you think that this orange area is where they would look to be building Monstropolis?
View attachment 810358

If so, that looks as though it would divide any remaining potential expansion space in half (obviously I would imagine that they would need to keep/relocate some of the buildings currently backstage.

Is there anything in the yellow area that you know that they would not remove? If not, then it looks like there could potentially be enough space for Zootropolis, and/or Springfield, and/or Metroville to be built, depending on what they were planning for the land, especially if they included RnRC at some point in the future.
I don’t think they’ll ever claim that entire space. I’d imagine they might move custodial/materials to the opposite side of the animation building’s current footprint, where the surface lot currently resides. That area is kind of boxed out by Roundup Rodeo anyway. Then, they can expand straight back to one more area directly south of RNRC that ultimately cross-connects that land, Monsters, RNRC, and Sunset.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Steady sea breeze vs. stagnant park air feels the same to you? Sure, if you somehow ignore human physiology and physics in general than I guess those are the same.
That stagnant park air is countered by indoor attractions

Regardless I know it’s hot. It’s really hot in August. It drains a lot of people. I get it. I’ve been there. It has drained me too. Several times during that heat over the last few years. People that normally come in July and August each year aren’t going to stop going all of a sudden just because it’s been a few degrees warmer at times imo. If they could stand it then, they can stand it now.

The main question is are those guests coming another time during the year now, or not at all…and why do we assume it’s the heat keeping them from coming

the_rich

Universal has the Marvel rights in perpetuity (if they want them). They have no reason to ever have to replace those rides and the land.

At most we might see Disney paying to share the Marvel rights or being able to use some additional characters that Uni isn’t using but even that is a big long shot.
I'm not saying they can't keep them or build more marvel rides..I mean when the rides need to be redone. Eventually they'll lose popularity and have to build something new.

the_rich

Access has to buildings has to be provided but access to the interior of the park does not have to be at specific points. They can be moved and other access points utilized.

Yes. Half of their new park is stuff they don’t own.
Yea but only one of those properties is promoting a direct theme park rival.

Surferboy567

From what I've heard between both plans...

•AC means a show is in the cards, along with the playground. MC is just the coaster and playground, I don't know about the show being apart of MC plans.
•MC plans have Star Tours still standing.
•Monsters is likely going to the far back of AC (Launch Bay+feature animation) Mermaid will still be there, so will Brown Derby reportedly. Bit less clear on BD. Mermaid could possibly have a rerouted entrance that hides the building from Monsters using a facade.
•Leaning yes on Sunset connection.
If the scope is bigger, add another reason I prefer AC over the obvious one.

Really hope it’s a large land. Monsters Inc deserves it.

Dranth

Regardless I know it’s hot. It’s really hot in August. It drains a lot of people. I get it. I’ve been there. It has drained me too. Several times during that heat over the last few years. People that normally come in July and August each year aren’t going to stop going all of a sudden just because it’s been a few degrees warmer at times imo. If they could stand it then, they can stand it now.

The main question is are those guests coming another time during the year now, or not at all…and why do we assume it’s the heat keeping them from coming
I'll drop it as we are pretty far off topic here but I doubt anyone not going anymore had just one thing, the question was always what combination of issues make someone reach their breaking point. For us, the heat moved when we went for others, it could have been the breaking point.

Sneaky

From what I've heard between both plans...

•AC means a show is in the cards, along with the playground. MC is just the coaster and playground, I don't know about the show being apart of MC plans.
•MC plans have Star Tours still standing.
•Monsters is likely going to the far back of AC (Launch Bay+feature animation) Mermaid will still be there, so will Brown Derby reportedly. Bit less clear on BD. Mermaid could possibly have a rerouted entrance that hides the building from Monsters using a facade.
•Leaning yes on Sunset connection.
The animation courtyard plan would do wonders for DHS IMO. A show and a playground is just what the doctor ordered for the park. Hope they make the right choice.

nickys

Premium Member
Yea but only one of those properties is promoting a direct theme park rival.
I don’t think guests see it like that.

The fact that Universal has a Spider-Man ride means kids want to go and ride it. It doesn’t harm Universal in any way, and I doubt many guests think “oh, Spiderman is owned by Disney. We’ll go to Disney then instead.”. Having Marvel characters in their park isn’t hurting Universal one iota.

ednamodedarling

The fact that Universal has a Spider-Man ride means kids want to go and ride it. It doesn’t harm Universal in any way, and I doubt many guests think “oh, Spiderman is owned by Disney. We’ll go to Disney then instead.”. Having Marvel characters in their park isn’t hurting Universal one iota.
But they are still promoting a property that is owned by Disney. Therefore, driving more engagement & merch sales for an IP that is not universal grown. Truly think that the Marvel area will be gone within the next decade.

** especially if Universal were to buy DC or WarnerBros entirely.

Last edited:

bwr827

Based on the 2023 industry numbers, looks like at least some of them are coming at another time.

Erdago

But they are still promoting a property that is owned by Disney. Therefore, driving more engagement & merch sales for an IP that is not universal grown. Truly think that the Marvel area will be gone within the next decade.

On the other hand, they are able to perpetually block Disney from making new attractions and lands based on arguably their biggest IP (barring a few exceptions like Guardians) in their biggest theme park. Why would Universal not want to keep Disney in the current position for as long as they possibly can?

WDWbuff2001

I’ve been lurking these threads for years and this will be my first actual post in god knows how long. If they were smart they would 100% keep MC because it still draws people in and is still a very enjoyable show.. they just recently updated and added more effects and updated those gross dusty seats.. Now for SWLB just demolish it because it’s basically just a Star Wars musuem at this point with some meet and greets meanwhile we already have SWGE and Star Tours down the street .move kids junior to somewhere else maybe where Mickey shorts is and while the new returned little mermaid show is running block off the rest of AC with walls right there build the monsters inc land and connect it with RNRC that way the crowds are easily spread out and now there’s a new loop for crowd control that is really the only logical thing to do in my opinion.. last time I checked I always go to muppet vison and use that bathroom before I enter galaxy’s edge. SWLB is a dead end and we have ST and SWGE so there is no point in even going to SWLB so get rid of it. If we say goodbye to MC that will be a major stupid problem not only with muppet fans but just a whole crowd control system overall. They need to 100% be smart on this

OptimusPrime

In the Parks
No

The two major draws to Superhero island are the characters stuck in rights limbo. Universal owns The Hulk’s film rights and Sony owns Spidey’s film rights.

I don’t think Disney intends on using the F4 or X-Men if they did AC in Florida, so I can see them making a deal that they get to use all the characters who aren’t headlining an attraction in Universal.

They build AC with a clone of Infinity Force or whatever the E-ticket is called, and build a new ride for a popular film like Doctor Strange instead of doing WEB.

Kamikaze

The two major draws to Superhero island are the characters stuck in rights limbo. Universal owns The Hulk’s film rights and Sony owns Spidey’s film rights.

I don’t think Disney intends on using the F4 or X-Men if they did AC in Florida, so I can see them making a deal that they get to use all the characters who aren’t headlining an attraction in Universal.

They build AC with a clone of Infinity Force or whatever the E-ticket is called, and build a new ride for a popular film like Doctor Strange instead of doing WEB.
Film rights have nothing to do with anything.

Hulk rights reverted to Disney/Marvel.

Uni has no intention of changing anything or letting Disney buy back characters. They will only do so when the SuperHero Island attractions become so outdated that they want to replace them. And at the same time have no other expansion areas. So it will be minimum a decade, if not two, before its even a subject thats broached.

lazyboy97o

Universal licenses a bunch of content for their parks. They also license a bunch of content for their television business. They don’t care. People have been predicting that Universal will drop Marvel in the next decade for 15 years.

Surferboy567

Mickey Views posted a whole video…and believes it’s going in Muppets though he said he doesn’t know for sure. He does seem very salty about rivers of America which possibly could be tainting his perspective.

Not saying he’s right all the time he’s far from a perfect source, but it’s notable enough to discuss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom