News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sneaky

I don’t know much about the specifics atm, it’s just something I’ve heard thrown around a few times now over the past two days so I thought I’d mention it here just in case.
Well, that’d be cool. Let’s hope muppets stick around in the first place. I assume it would also come with a mama Melrose retheme?

Magenta Panther

The idea is to replace a 10 minute short that can be seen on Disney+ with a film that represents Jim Henson’s legacy and is a Hollywood studios exclusive.

Would you mind clarifying how that’s a bad idea? Mickey Mouse can be found around every corner of every Disney park, including right in the center of the park we’re discussing right now. The Mickey shorts theatre is the literal definition of a waste of space.
Because Mickey Mouse is a genuine Disney creation. The company logo. The character that started it all. The Muppets are an unnecessary acquisition that has added little value to the company overall. Since you asked.

dmc493

Because Mickey Mouse is a genuine Disney creation. The company logo. The character that started it all. The Muppets are an unnecessary acquisition that has added little value to the company overall. Since you asked.
And Mickey Mouse has a signature marquee attraction 3 minutes away from here so again this wasted underutilized theater would benefit from something that isn’t a Mickey Mouse cartoon. Since you mentioned it.

SirLink

Muppets is also an IP with a very large footprint on Disney+. Brand new documentary, multiple movies, multiple series, multiple spin-offs, and a Disney+ original. That doesn’t save them - but it is a very different conversation in the IP focused Disney offices.

Agreed and that pat of the park really needs it. Nothing over there for kids other than muppet vision - would be a win-win.
GSR is still important along with now especially, does it help sell LL

SirLink

We know Animal ate your bunny rabbit. But everything Disney owns is in fact suitable for inclusion in Disney Parks.

The biggest game of musical chairs.

Maybe Avatar is replacing Monsters Inc at DCA.

All the Monsters Inc parts go to DHS when Monsters Inc replaces Muppets.

Muppets moves to the other side of DHS and becomes a retheme for RnRC and the theatre moves into where Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy is.

All the Lightning McQueen showpieces move to Carsland at Magic Kingdom.

For those of use who are 16 hours behind, what did the tweet on pg 108 or so say? I just tried to look at it, and it had been deleted.
IMG_9473.jpg

Rockishcoco

The people who run this forum are apparently more tolerant of differing opinions than you.have your differing opinion thats fine. It's another thing entirely to spout off 5 diffrent messages being blatantly dismissive and borderline
It's one thing to have your own opinion, that's fine. It's another to go around spouting 5 different messages essentially dumping on something a lot of people deeply care about. I know that at a certain point that you probably wanna get a rise out of people, I just think it's a little sad you've decided to cheerlead for the destruction of an incredible bit of American Pop-cultural history. Again you can have your opinion but there is no harm in being a little more tactful in the way you discuss this. While I don't know your opinions on prior replacements at the parks I have a feeling you probably would’ve been peeved if someone was this dismissive about one of your favorite attractions going the way of the dodo.

doctornick

And Mickey Mouse has a signature marquee attraction 3 minutes away from here so again this wasted underutilized theater would benefit from something that isn’t a Mickey Mouse cartoon. Since you mentioned it.

Biggest issue there is that it is a waste to spend the money to move Muppets just to have the exact same show. The sensible thing would be to keep it where it is and put Monsters Inc in a different place.

I'm all for replacing the Mickey short though, it's kind of a waste of space. I'd prefer Sounds Dangerous being returned to there honestly (or the Monster Sound Show). but regardless I think that the ideal thing would be some new movie show to correspond to whatever replaces the IJ stunt show eventually.

dmc493

Biggest issue there is that it is a waste to spend the money to move Muppets just to have the exact same show. The sensible thing would be to keep it where it is and put Monsters Inc in a different place.

I'm all for replacing the Mickey short though, it's kind of a waste of space. I'd prefer Sounds Dangerous being returned to there honestly (or the Monster Sound Show). but regardless I think that the ideal thing would be some new movie show to correspond to whatever replaces the IJ stunt show eventually.
Valid points, but it’s a lesser cost to just retheme a theater since the cost to develop the show doesn’t exist. Theater sits on a compact footprint too so there’s not an entire plaza that you’re needing to rework. Is there misters/scent in MV3D? Idea falls apart even more if it does and if mickey shorts theater doesn’t have any of that infrastructure

celluloid

Walt Disney himself had the company(his brother) buy the rights to Zorro and used the property, that was not his, to produce a tv show after acquiring the rights and keep the character in the park, even though the show was rarefuly that successful compared to other properties.

Big Hero Six through Marvel was aquired.

They are not all Toy Story or Mickey.

However, they are not all Star cruiser or Cars 3 or Wish either.

Muppets have their highs and lows but are evergreen. Even when it is not an easy thing to be. ;-)

Magenta Panther

As a caveat, I did get my back up about the rumor that The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror would be replaced with Marvel junk (thankfully that didn't happen in Orlando). But the reason that the rumor upset me is not because I'm a huge fan of the Twilight Zone, and that the ToT is the only ride in any park that features the work of Rod Serling. I love the ride because it's so damn good. It's note-perfect in themeing, storytelling and effects. It's Imagineering's crown jewel IMO, just about the best thing they've ever built. The Twilight Zone didn't need to be included at all in the ride, as long as the idea of a haunted Hollywood hotel still came across as well as it does. Plus, it fits in perfectly with the Old Hollywood vibe of DHS. The idea of all that artistry getting ripped out to be replaced by a trigger-happy raccoon and a walking celery stalk shocked and disgusted me. Thank god it didn't happen.

I admit I don't get the worship of something as dated as the Muppets. I think their day has passed and isn't coming back, no matter how some people think it could if Disney just tried (like it hasn't tried multiple times already). Look, Universal is reportedly going to get rid of the Simpsons area once the licensing agreement expires (in about 3 years, I think). The Simpsons is still on the air and doing well, but Universal has decided that it's time for something else. (Reportedly Pokemon, bleah, but it is popular). I think that's healthier attitude than turning an antique off-brand ride into an everlasting shrine. I hope it's replaced with something else. It's high time. But hey, you guys do you. Exit, stage left.

celluloid

As a caveat, I did get my back up about the rumor that The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror would be replaced with Marvel junk (thankfully that didn't happen in Orlando). But the reason that the rumor upset me is not because I'm a huge fan of the Twilight Zone, and that the ToT is the only ride in any park that features the work of Rod Serling. I love the ride because it's so damn good. It's note-perfect in themeing, storytelling and effects. It's Imagineering's crown jewel IMO, just about the best thing they've ever built. The Twilight Zone didn't need to be included at all in the ride, as long as the idea of a haunted Hollywood hotel still came across as well as it does. Plus, it fits in perfectly with the Old Hollywood vibe of DHS. The idea of all that artistry getting ripped out to be replaced by a trigger-happy raccoon and a walking celery stalk shocked and disgusted me. Thank god it didn't happen.

I admit I don't get the worship of something as dated as the Muppets. I think their day has passed and isn't coming back, no matter how some people think it could if Disney just tried (like it hasn't tried multiple times already). Look, Universal is reportedly going to get rid of the Simpsons area once the licensing agreement expires (in about 3 years, I think). The Simpsons is still on the air and doing well, but Universal has decided that it's time for something else. (Reportedly Pokemon, bleah, but it is popular). I think that's healthier attitude than turning an antique off-brand ride into an everlasting shrine. But hey, you guys do you. Exit, stage left.

I love the Twilight Zone and The Muppets. I think both are crown jewels at what they set out to do when they work properly.

But your fandom for TW Zone aside, you must admit that Muppets are still more relevant to pop culture than The Zone.

You don't have to worship The Muppets. But you certainly can see why it is a crowd pleaser and an asset to the park with its balance right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom