News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Leader of the Club

I admit I don't get the worship of something as dated as the Muppets. I think their day has passed and isn't coming back, no matter how some people think it could if Disney just tried (like it hasn't tried multiple times already).
Your profile picture is Oswald the lucky Rabbit, a 100 year old dead franchise with several failed reboots.

djlaosc

I'm all for replacing the Mickey short though, it's kind of a waste of space. I'd prefer Sounds Dangerous being returned to there honestly (or the Monster Sound Show). but regardless I think that the ideal thing would be some new movie show to correspond to whatever replaces the IJ stunt show eventually.

Ideally, the only things that need to be removed from Disney's Hollywood Studios are "Vacation Fun", and Star Wars Launch Bay if they need an entrance to the expansion pads. They should use the cast parking lot beside Galaxy's Edge, and the plot between Animation Courtyard and RnRC before removing anything else.

If they want to keep the Launch Bay museum pieces accessible to the public, if they are having trouble filling the NBA Experience space, could then not (depending on how many floors it is - was it 2 floors total, or 2 floors of experiences with a shop on the bottom?) either:
a) Launch Bay museum goes on top floor, Star Wars Trading Post/Star Wars Galactic Outpost merchandise on bottom floor
a) Launch Bay museum goes on top floor, Star Wars Trading Post/Star Wars Galactic Outpost merchandise on middle floor, Super Heroes Headquarters on the bottom floor?

I'm not sure on the size of what NBA Experience turned into (last time I was in there was DisneyQuest), but could that not use a big space they can't fill, give "Super Heroes" a potentially bigger store, combine both Star Wars shops into one, and free up 3 smaller shops to rent out?

celluloid

Ideally, the only things that need to be removed from Disney's Hollywood Studios are "Vacation Fun", and Star Wars Launch Bay if they need an entrance to the expansion pads. They should use the cast parking lot beside Galaxy's Edge, and the plot between Animation Courtyard and RnRC before removing anything else.

If they want to keep the Launch Bay museum pieces accessible to the public, if they are having trouble filling the NBA Experience space, could then not (depending on how many floors it is - was it 2 floors total, or 2 floors of experiences with a shop on the bottom?) either:
a) Launch Bay museum goes on top floor, Star Wars Trading Post/Star Wars Galactic Outpost merchandise on bottom floor
a) Launch Bay museum goes on top floor, Star Wars Trading Post/Star Wars Galactic Outpost merchandise on middle floor, Super Heroes Headquarters on the bottom floor?

I'm not sure on the size of what NBA Experience turned into (last time I was in there was DisneyQuest, but could that not use a big space they can't fill, give "Super Heroes" a potentially bigger store, combine both Star Wars shops into one, and free up 3 smaller shops to rent out?

Why not refresh The Backlot Express with some current props?

celluloid

No, other guy

Just checking. Although I would not mind him a bit more somewhere since the old Hollywood Vibe checks were made and vibed with that park in mind originally.

I don't have a problem with partnerships and Aquisition as long as they are done with Disney's best theme park practice standards and not odd double standards (apparently only not ok if they are The Muppets) like that Magentapanther feels.

djlaosc

Why not refresh The Backlot Express with some current props?

There's plenty of places they could put them.

If they didn't mind removing Vacation Fun, Meet Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight and Meet Mickey and Minnie at Red Carpet Dreams, could they not move the Darth Vader, Chewbacca and BB-8 meet and greets from Launch Bay into that building along with some props in the queues/shared lobby space?

Looking at the map, they look to be part of the same building, and if you either entered using the Olaf MnG entrance (opposite Star Tours, or Mickey/Minnie MnG (opposite Sci-Fi), it could work.

celluloid

It is funny to me how DHS making of movies is so dead, yet the Hollywood that Never Was and Always will be was really the primary goal that is evergreen and still is a part of some of the most favored attractions based around show business.

RocknRollercoaster with G Force Records
Muppets
Star Tours(The queue but of course that is kind of out of lazyness)
Backlot Express(overtly so about movie making)
Baseline Taphouse(a recent addition that is a boring aesthetic but based around the showbiz noemclature)
Indy stunt
Launch Bay(a shell but still movie props and info)
Walt Disney Presents
Tower of Terror. A hotel in the Hollywood that never was but always will be.
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway a Chinese Theater movie premier.
The entire theme of Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd.
Sci fi Diner
50s Prime Time
Even the way you meet Mickey and Minnie are centered around the vibe of Hollywood glitz and glam.

All still there are attractions of this motif and various scale, and typically of well attendance and or guest satisfaction.

doctornick

Valid points, but it’s a lesser cost to just retheme a theater since the cost to develop the show doesn’t exist. Theater sits on a compact footprint too so there’s not an entire plaza that you’re needing to rework. Is there misters/scent in MV3D? Idea falls apart even more if it does and if mickey shorts theater doesn’t have any of that infrastructure

There's bubbles at least as a physical effect. But more importantly there are Animatronics that would need to be moved and installed and they have to have some way for a costumed cast member to come out as Sweetums. None of that seems like anything impossible to do with a new theater but I would submit that it would be a bit more costly than simply porting a show that is just the 3D film.

But my point would remain that the most cost effective thing would be to just keep MV where it is and make any additions actually additions by building in places that are underutilized or backstage or undeveloped. The Launch Bay footprint + backstage there is the most logical place for anything right now. Once that large area is filled - which should be with multiple rides along with food/merch - then you can consider "upgrading" other areas of the park by maybe replacing things. But even then I would consider replacing the IJ stunt show or the BatB show (which has an expansion pad next to it) before MV/Grand Avenue.

Personally, the only thing that should be considered to replace MV in the short term (say the next 10 years) would be if they wanted to expand Galaxy's Edge to connect to Star Tours. Anything else there are much better locations in the park for virtually anything they want to do.

JoeCamel

Don’t forget about The Zach either. Speaking of The Zach, I haven’t heard anything pertaining to him in a while. Has he fallen off the face of the earth, or is he stuck in Home Depot buying tile?
This says it all....

"
I was promoted to oversee efforts on a mission-critical EPCOT transformation initiative, managing 25+ separate project elements and aligning teams on a holistic, concept-to-delivery creative vision (500+ team members and 1,000 combined partners, collaborators, and stakeholders). In this capacity, I serve as the single accountable WDI leader for the EPCOT project, including master planning, story and concept, detailed design, and delivery/construction elements.

💠 Oversaw the largest redevelopment of a Disney theme park in its 65-year history (multi-year transformation of EPCOT), from nascent vision to reality, with the early results well-received by the public.

💠 Led a reengineering initiative that fixed issues with a major component (groundbreaking new attraction); project is proceeding effectively, with a doable scope delivery and a unified project team.

💠 Created a process for team collaboration and talent utilization that is scalable to all of the Walt Disney World portfolio, including a common review structure, new leader placement, and diverse talent casting.

💠 Secured approval for a groundbreaking level of investment in record time. Fostered a tight alignment of the vision with business priorities.

💠 Achieved the right balance between the EPCOT legacy and new strategies. Zero-baselined all casting, brought in top talent, modified the leadership structure, and recruited externally to elevate creative efforts."

Note that this includes the "mistake on the lake"

CoasterCowboy67

So your idea is to replace Mickey Mouse with the Muppets. In a Disney park. And you think that'd be more popular. Gotcha. :rolleyes:
Yep that’s the idea. Mickey’s got RR and the short is something we can just watch on Disney+. In this smaller theater we give Muppets a home that isn’t really critical to the theme of the surrounding area, and then allows Grand Ave to become something big

Except Zootopia lol I don’t want that

dreamfinding

This says it all....

💠 Oversaw the largest redevelopment of a Disney theme park in its 65-year history (multi-year transformation of EPCOT), from nascent vision to reality, with the early results well-received by the public.

Note that this includes the "mistake on the lake"
Does this also include the millennial cafeteria that was built?

Brer Panther

I rather they just bulldoze Mermaid but sure. If they want it so badly I guess it can stay. I don’t think we really need a Little Mermaid show. Rather that theater be used for something different or something more substantial.
Or they could just move it to the Beauty and the Beast Live theater or the Frozen Sing-Along theater.
Great show.
It is, isn't it? Thank goodness they added it to Disney Plus.
that may or may not include a rethemed Triceratops Spin.
I wonder, how would you retheme Triceratops Spin to the Muppets? Would it be Gonzo's Flying Chickens or something?
Or maybe you've never heard of the "wrong-sounding Muppets" trope?
Most people probably only complain about the Muppets "sounding wrong" because they saw that dumb Family Guy sketch. Over the years we've had wrong-sounding Disney characters, wrong-sounding Looney Tunes characters, wrong-sounding Hanna-Barbera characters, and even wrong-sounding cereal mascots yet I never hear anyone complaining about, say, Scrooge sounding wrong in the DuckTales reboot even though David Tennant doesn't sound anything like Alan Young.
The Mickey shorts theatre is the literal definition of a waste of space.
Yeah, if I wanted to watch those unfunny "LOL look at Mickey and his friends act like deranged out of character lunatics!" shorts, I'd just watch them on YouTube or Disney Plus. I don't need to go to a theme park to do it.

Heck, if you want to watch them at Disney World, you can just stay in your hotel room and watch that channel that runs them on a loop! So what the heck is the point of the theater?
Launch Bay is a waste of space (no pun intended) that also needs to go.
That I agree with you on.
But everything Disney owns is in fact suitable for inclusion in Disney Parks.
I'd argue that The Simpsons and Family Guy aren't.
I have a feeling you probably would’ve been peeved if someone was this dismissive about one of your favorite attractions going the way of the dodo.
Reminds me of the people who still whine about Mr. Toad closing but acted like we were horrible people for being upset that they were retheming Splash Mountain.
The Simpsons is still on the air and doing well, but Universal has decided that it's time for something else.
And apparently as soon as Universal gets rid of their Simpsons stuff, Disney's gonna put the franchise in Hollywood Studios. Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on that?
And you also called for the arrival of Roger rabbit to wdw
I mean, I like Roger Rabbit too, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing him return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom