News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Magenta Panther

Recent developments.

I'm still firm on Muppets will be leaving eventually (death waits for nobody after all), but as it stands, I have good reason and have it on good word to believe Monsters Inc will be in Animation Courtyard and will co-exist with Mermaid.
Guess we'll find out.
That was the reported plan. I'm happy Tower has hung around at least.
Oh, yes...I should have remembered...thank god Spirit told us what the twits at Disney were planning. Especially now that we've seen Mission Breakout at Disneyland. Good god, what an eyesore...and what a narrative mess. Thank god the original Tower still exists in WDW...even though it's been poorly maintained and "improved" (i.e the original black screen removed and a blue computer screen installed into a 1950's television set...brilliant move, "Imagineers"...)

UNCgolf

This site seems to conflate “surprises” and seemingly poor communication into a belief that things change in the final seconds before an exec walks into the D23 stage, or a shovel strikes the dirt at a build site.

This actually does happen, though. We know they've cancelled and changed announcements nearly last minute for D23 before.

Plus, it' s not that unusual for large corporations. I work with some even bigger than Disney, and you'd be surprised how often major plans are still in flux and subject to change or outright cancellation very late in the process.

doctornick

I still worry that we’re celebrating a little too prematurely. This could just be a reshuffling, or the beginnings of the unannounced “phase two.” Until we hear official word from Disney, I still think MuppetVision is in Jeopardy.
See, to me, the most important thing is them vacating and tearing down the animation office building. If they do that, it’s a commitment to building something there in the near future. I’m less concerned if it’s Monsters now or Zootopia later or whatever but it needs to be something to an actually expand the park and increase the offerings.

So I take this a good sign regardless of Monsters.

MerlinTheGoat

Unless they didn't actually know where they were going to put this when it was announced, I have a bad feeling it's going to replace something that will cause a bad reaction. Otherwise if it was just going in the AC, they probably would have announced it already. They avoided saying where Cars would be going during the stage presentation specifically because they knew they would be booed off the stage.

Moth

Guess we'll find out.

Oh, yes...I should have remembered...thank god Spirit told us what the twits at Disney were planning. Especially now that we've seen Mission Breakout at Disneyland. Good god, what an eyesore...and what a narrative mess. Thank god the original Tower still exists in WDW...even though it's been poorly maintained and "improved" (i.e the original black screen removed and a blue computer screen installed into a 1950's television set...brilliant move, "Imagineers"...)
Narrative mess? I dunno, I think "wave your hands because mine don't work" is genius! /Sarcasm

I can't imagine HS without the ToT. Even if Disney does divorce itself from TTZ branding, using the Paris story would be perfect.

Dude, I cried through the last episode of BATBBH. Great show.
I miss Bear as a show and at DHS so much. I swear I remember meeting him when I was a weeee little moth. Bears in general are just nice animals.

Quietmouse

That is what I said.,. My guess for cars was 2029…. With Monsters inc being 2028… IMO The biggest Issue with new attractions when it comes to Disney is they announce projects too early… usually Months… sometimes years before construction begins… Universsl will keep things secretive even well into construction… which is to their advantage… but then again they don’t have a fan event like D23 where fans will come at Disney with
Pitchforks if they don’t get any new announcements

I have no idea if Villains or Monsters will be the better land… I have not experienced either… but Monsters most definitely got the ball rolling on Villains

Disagree that villains has anything related with monsters in epic universe.

I would say it’s more in relation to Nintendo than anything else.

djlaosc

So, if we are now back to looking at Animation Courtyard and the area behind it, what parts of the area in yellow need to remain in order for the park to run (ie, what is potential expansion space, either for this, or something else, and what needs to remain existing, or would need to be moved elsewhere within this space for the park to continue operating? What would be completely off the table to build guest accessible areas on?

1723909913085.png

doctornick

If monsters is set far back enough into AC, you can theoretically keep mermaid open as a miscellaneous street with Walt Disney Presents and the current “Pixar Plaza” area that has the incredibles stuff (renamed by that point of course).

I could see them making an effort to keep mermaid in any case since they just invested into it.
That’s what I’m hoping. There’s no reason to have the existing actual Animation Courtyard as part of Monsters. IMHO they should start that land at the entrance of Launch Bay or so and it should be built largely on current backstage. Plenty of room there for a more robust land which should have more than just the door coaster.

I am hoping that at most the only existing things that are part of this land (in addition to the Launch Bay footprint) are Disney Jr and Take Five (the backstage cast cafeteria).

Keep Walt Disney Presents and Mermaid along with Pixar Place and make that a “land” (I’d call it Animation Avenue since it’s basically just a street)

SCOTLORR

That’s what I’m hoping. There’s no reason to have the existing actual Animation Courtyard as part of Monsters. IMHO they should start that land at the entrance of Launch Bay or so and it should be built largely on current backstage. Plenty of room there for a more robust land which should have more than just the door coaster.

I am hoping that at most the only existing things that are part of this land (in addition to the Launch Bay footprint) are Disney Jr and Take Five (the backstage cast cafeteria).

Keep Walt Disney Presents and Mermaid along with Pixar Place and make that a “land” (I’d call it Animation Avenue since it’s basically just a street)
Perfect name. Merges the two names of Mickey Avenue and Animation Courtyard plus alliteration!

Sneaky

I can't imagine HS without the ToT. Even if Disney does divorce itself from TTZ branding, using the Paris story would be perfect
TOT kinda IS dhs at this point. In all the merch and marketing. Kidna is the parks only nostalgia at this point. Muppets too, but more so tot. I have a feeling it took splash’s place in All the merch and marketing, but that’s just me

Let’s say for argument sake, it goes in Animation Courtyard.

How would this practically work? How large of an area are we talking here? Does Little Mermaid run for a few years and then is folded in the land?

Another thing in terms of land reveals, I doubt they are just gonna put a giant monsters inc building right off from the hub. So I imagine the land will be set back a bit, easing us into Monsters giving us a proper “wow” moment and reveal.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the surface area of AC seems much larger then Muppets. This should (in theory) enable a much more ambitious land.

So what are we thinking:

1 E Ticket (Door Coaster and Factory)
1 show (Laugh Floor?)
1 dining location (Harry’s)
1 store
1 character meet and greet location
Streets of Monstropolis

Another thing what is a reasonable time to expect this to open? If it’s a new build from scratch I’d say 2028 - 2029?
The show is just “put that thing back where it came from” company show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom