News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

CJR

They could move but you’d need to budget rebuilding all of that stuff which they just aren’t budgeting for in this project. The next CEO can find that money. Or not.

It would probably be cheaper to push Monster's back behind MV and rework the parking area again than it would be to build offices, just guessing, but I don't ever expect them to stop kicking the can on AC if they passed on it twice now. There's too much low hanging fruit at DHS.

If they were smart, they'd work the offices into the Monster's Inc. building. How cool would that be?

Sneaky

If a re-route happens it's temporary to keep capacity during construction. The building would be used for the Muppet Courtyard plans.

It's sad. But when you realize the land they could get out of Animation Courtyard, it makes sense why they're hesitant on placing a land that'd just be one coaster, a supposed show, and a playground. They can easily make a killer app akin to GE that can deliver over there.
God. There’s no hope for the muppets at wdw. This sucks

Disstevefan1

The thing I really, really hate is the "destroy and change" going on.

If they put this in the launch bay that would be good as the space is unused mostly.

But when they destroy a working attraction and replace it with another one, its bad.

I really don't want to hear the cr@p, "more folks will go on the new attraction"

I really want BOTH attractions!

And I really don't want to hear the cr@p "Disney cant afford to have both", its BS.

What if more and more fans say, "I cant afford to go to WDW" ?

SCOTLORR

If a re-route happens it's temporary to keep capacity during construction. The building would be used for the Muppet Courtyard plans.

It's sad. But when you realize the land they could get out of Animation Courtyard, it makes sense why they're hesitant on placing a land that'd just be one coaster, a supposed show, and a playground. They can easily make a killer app akin to GE that can deliver over there.
Yeah it’s the right decision in theory, wrong decision given Disney’s track record. I would bet my mortgage on animation courtyard not getting its “expansion” opened by 2034

UNCgolf

I can't believe how bad they are at running their own parks from an operational standpoint.

They keep spending loads of money to tread water (or make small incremental improvements) rather than committing to actually improving the daily experience for their visitors.

At least at the Magic Kingdom, even if it's going to kind of ruin Frontierland/Liberty Square, they're doing something to actually add significant capacity. This DHS change is going to do almost nothing for the park unless they're going to add an unannounced show to the area as well.

nickys

Premium Member

I totally believe you, but is *easily* the right word? 🧐

This is Disney we’re talking about. If Muppets take 3+ years, Zootopia, or whatever else they choose, will probably take 5-6 years to build. Which ties in with your 2034 timeline.

Moth

I totally believe you, but is *easily* the right word? 🧐

This is Disney we’re talking about. If Muppets take 3+ years, Zootopia, or whatever else they choose, will probably take 5-6 years to build. Which ties in with your 2034 timeline.
Oh I don't mean easy as in a easy build.

Sneaky

I just wish the muppets didn’t potentially lose their park presence forever because of it. Like I know the backlash had to have some effect, but I don’t think it’s enough to green light anything

James Alucobond

I can't believe how bad they are at running their own parks from an operational standpoint.

They keep spending loads of money to tread water (or make small incremental improvements) rather than committing to actually improving the daily experience for their visitors.

At least at the Magic Kingdom, even if it's going to kind of ruin Frontierland/Liberty Square, they're doing something to actually add significant capacity. This DHS change is going to do almost nothing for the park unless they're going to add an unannounced show to the area as well.
Let’s hope there is an all-ages show or playground or something to help ultimately absorb what’s being lost, though I feel they would have announced that already.

I’m not as fundamentally opposed to this as others because IP comes and goes, but their insistence on doing everything but the patently obvious is infuriating. Animation Courtyard, Wonders of Life, Stitch, and numerous WS pavilions sit attractionless while other things needlessly turn over.

easyrowrdw

Has anyone discuss that TWDC has a "10 year plan" and all we've seen is the next 5 years? Monsters may go here because it's saving the space in Animation Courtyard for the back half of the 10 years of building?

I don't think this is the end all be all of turbocharged parks for a decade.
Any 10 year plan for any corporation is blue skybasically. Why would you trust it, so much could change for any company.

Heck did anyone in 2002 have a 10 year plan for what would they do once the iphone came out in 2007?
Sure. I guess I interpreted your post as saying, Monsters will replace Muppets, but something bigger will go in Animation Courtyard. I just don't trust that they're going to put something bigger or better in AC. Fixing AC should be the priority, not replacing a functional attraction.

rd805

I'm so excited about the possibility of the Monsters Coaster -- it looks family friendly, a great concept, and an IP that has tested the time.

It is absolutely infuriating to hear that Star Wars Launch Bay hasn't closed and is not the placement for the next expansion.

The lack of foresight when even bringing back the Little Mermaid Show (which like...barely anyone wanted), and keeping it in an area that needs one of the biggest overhauls in any section of any Disney Park astounds me.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
Forgive a little soapboxing, but I think a lot of this worry/hurt comes from the fact that Disney has all but given up on the Muppets. This is the second longest drought without a Muppet movie and there has been no major TV special or theme park project to back them up. Muppet Haunted Mansion & Mayhem were both great but barely anyone knew about their existence. California's MuppetVision disappeared in 2014, there is barely any merch produced by Disney themselves, and as mentioned before they can't even be bothered to get Muppets Take Manhattan on Disney Plus. Little things like third-party produced action figures & board games and Waldos getting replaced by projections are the biggest news we Muppet fans have. The fact that operations are so keen to cut entertainment these days and additions have been extremely few and far between (barring next year's Electrical Parade!!) means a live show is all but unthinkable.

In 2009, there was a large Muppets presentation at D23 in which various major projects were announced. Despite the fact that the majority did not come to fruition, this was a great time of hope for us. This year, we got a huge Avatar pavilion - even though Disney does not fully own the rights to the property - and Eric Jacobson wasn't even at the Miss Piggy panel.

Maybe most of the public has moved on - there are certainly folks on this forum who are not fans of the Muppets. But it is rather disheartening and difficult to accept that Iger & co. just don't want to throw the same amount of effort behind the Muppets as they do Star Wars, Marvel, Cars, Encanto, Moana, Monsters etc. because they weren't grand slams at the box office/Disney+. At least for their first 30 years of existence and that brief blip around the Jason Segel movie, the Muppets left an indelible, unique mark on the public. Monsters Inc. has always deserved better than just Laugh Floor and a Sulley meet, but the Muppets deserve better than nothing.

UNCgolf

Let’s hope there is an all-ages show or playground or something to help ultimately absorb what’s being lost, though I feel they would have announced that already.

I’m not as fundamentally opposed to this as others because IP comes and goes, but their insistence on doing everything but the patently obvious is infuriating. Animation Courtyard, Wonders of Life, Stitch, and numerous WS pavilions sit attractionless while other things needlessly turn over.

That's my problem with it. I'm not up in arms about removing the Muppets in general -- I'm just annoyed that they keep spending money on things that aren't going to make a park day better for the average guest.

This particular move could actually make the park worse. It'll get long lines, but it's probably not going to have any major effect on long lines at other attractions because the park is already underbuilt.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's my problem with it. I'm not up in arms about removing the Muppets in general -- I'm just annoyed that they keep spending money on things that aren't going to make a park day better for the average guest.

This particular move could actually make the park worse. It'll get long lines, but it's probably not going to have any major effect on long lines at other attractions because the park is already underbuilt.
I'm not sure how it won't. If the rumors are true and they replace MV with another show, add the coaster, and add a playground area, how is that not a net improvement? Is it the best improvement they could make? No, but it's certainly an improvement.

LSLS

I'm not sure how it won't. If the rumors are true and they replace MV with another show, add the coaster, and add a playground area, how is that not a net improvement? Is it the best improvement they could make? No, but it's certainly an improvement.
The show part is VERY rumor right now though. All we know for sure is a coaster. I question if there is enough room in that area for a show unless it's significantly smaller (or there is a ton of reworking of the behind the scenes things). Also, just going to throw it out there, I'm not sure I believe the playground ends up there either. I think it'd be a good addition, but I could see someone stepping in on that for the insurance reasons.

UNCgolf

If they do all that, then yes, it will be an improvement.

They haven't actually announced anything other than the coaster, though. If it's just the coaster, that's not great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom