Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

heard lots of grumbling this week at epcot and wdw re the lack of monorail, the heavy rain may have been part of what brought out peoples frustrations for everyone to hear. an example was when leaving epcot it was raining really heavy, the new free standing signs on the ground that have the info stating that the monorail bla bla bla then at the bottom says those resorts affected need to take buses to xxx...the problem was in the rain people were running up to the signs that list all the other resorts and weren't finding theirs and because of the rain weren't taking the time to read to the bottom of the sign (IMO).

i also noticed the monorail drivers talking (very quick/monotone voice to get through the spiel) over the standard monorail loop with people riding the monorail saying "what what".

seemed to be most people still took "running until one hour after park closing" to mean 1 hour after emh not 1 hour after regular park closing. we heard lots of people as they were getting turned back from the monorail grumbling as we stood in line for the boat to the poly.

also took time to listen in on conversation between our 2 boat captains and a monorail driver. boat guys kind of grumbling that so many people were backed up at the boats. the monorail worker said at the end of the 1 hour there had still been way more people on the monorail deck areas than they'd thought and they were told (by those in charge) to turn them away.

Oh dear--not good for guests to hear cast members grumbling!!

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah, it's unfortunate that people who wait in long lines at closing don't realize that they should use up all of the space on the ferryboat to lessen the wait for others behind them. But what about more dock space? Right now we have 3 ferryboats and 2 docks (right?)... what if it were 6 ferryboats and 4 docks? I think the traffic clearance would be similar to what there must be now; I'm assuming both docks can't launch at once, but still relatively close to one another. Does anyone know the capacity of the MK monorails versus the ferryboats?

The entire docking area at both TTC and MK would have to be redone, along with the queue areas. The only way it would work is to have 2 slips utilized at each side of the lake, essentially having one boat unloading at the same time another boat is loading next to it. In order to make the guest flow work properly, they would have to change the queue and exit areas to make it work on both sides of the lake.

Things happen as they did last night and there were managers and even the VP running all over the place. Most of them are uselessly standing around, while the ones who actually deserves to be a manager spent the time trying to squeegee the water out of the TTC dock, but that's another issue.
Maybe when they get to 2hr wait on a nightly basis with monorails also running, they would do that, but otherwise I don't see it happening. In addition to expanding the docks, a 4th FB would mean expanding dry dock and that would require essentially excavating land and putting in the necessary connections for a ferryboat.

Would Walt do it? probably. Will TDO? Remember this is the dept with an aging monorail fleet who seems to be the red headed step child of the company. I doubt it.

flavious27

The capacity of a Friendship boat wouldn't put a dent in the crowds waiting to exit the park, especially compared to a bus or ferry.

And they won't be able to use 3 ferries for long, since Potter is going to the dry dock very soon (this week I think).

They need a plan D pretty quick.

Well lets see. They could increase the height clearance on the water bridge to handle double decker buses. They could have the ferries and docks rebuild to accommodate upper level loading and unloading. They could rebuild the parking lot to be handled by prts.

SeaCastle

Was this the building that was struck?

monorail3.jpg

EvilQueen-T

Oh dear--not good for guests to hear cast members grumbling!!

off topic but our biggest award for the anti-disney cm of our vacation was actually a woman working in a woman's restroom in epcot during a big time rain storm last week. she was trying to keep the floor mopped and was getting frustrated as guests kept coming in wet and dripping (it was totally pouring outside) she actually hit her mop against the floor causing the mop head to fly off in front of us while saying something to the effect of that this was ridiculous and she'd had enough at which time she left the mop head on the floor and went into their little closet and slammed the door. my 7 y/o granddaughter said, "she'll never get to be a princess if she keeps acting fitty" aka fitty for her is when someone throws a hissy fit.

flavious27

off topic but our biggest award for the anti-disney cm of our vacation was actually a woman working in a woman's restroom in epcot during a big time rain storm last week. she was trying to keep the floor mopped and was getting frustrated as guests kept coming in wet and dripping (it was totally pouring outside) she actually hit her mop against the floor causing the mop head to fly off in front of us while saying something to the effect of that this was ridiculous and she'd had enough at which time she left the mop head on the floor and went into their little closet and slammed the door. my 7 y/o granddaughter said, "she'll never get to be a princess if she keeps acting fitty" aka fitty for her is when someone throws a hissy fit.

Grin and bear it, any good customer service rep will tell you.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I don't know, but that is the building where a fire broke out and caused the monorails to shut down all day back in May.

because a part fell out of green and started it!

No that is not what was struck by lightning. It was a box outside MK station on the MK side. I'm going based on the fact that I saw workers with the box open and working on it, so I assume that's where it struck.

On a side note, anyone planning on being at MK on Friday should probably plan on Ferries being down. Even though Irene is off the coast, winds will likely be too high to operate.

thelookingglass

When stuff like this happens, try and get their name and report them. I'm sorry, but unless people complain, Disney will just keep hiring these terrible CMs / allow them to keep working with no repercussions.

carly200

When stuff like this happens, try and get their name and report them. I'm sorry, but unless people complain, Disney will just keep hiring these terrible CMs / allow them to keep working with no repercussions.

well, how about being a little more tollerant? the beaviour was in no way allright, but hey, we are all humans... get yourself into that position...

Tom

Beta Return
well, how about being a little more tollerant? the beaviour was in no way allright, but hey, we are all humans... get yourself into that position...

Being in that position doesn't also grant them the right to be disgruntled. They were hired to mop the floor. When it rains, the floor will get wetter, and they need to keep mopping. It's job security if nothing else.

Rescue Ranger

I 100% agree.

I have never had nor seen issues with CMs years ago. On my last visit I had to report 2....1 at Port Orleans French Quarter in the gift shop who was just MEAN. We needed help with something and she said "maybe if you caught me in a good mood" lol :eek:

The other, an elevator operator at Tower of Terror, older gentleman. Everyone in line later left and complained about him. He made one kid cry when he YELLED at him because he got too close to the props and then he was just getting mad and having attitude with almost everyone in line for no reason.

G00fyDad

I never have had a CM get hateful or mean to my face but my wife has. I always have a bad habit of going back to the CM and getting in their face and finding out what their problem is. I know I should report them but I have a habit of trying to take care of things myself. I have got to try to remember that me getting in their face and making them nearly cry isn't solving anything and that the issue would get fixed better if I reported them.

That being said, who should I ask for? Or should I call Disney's Central Reservations line?

Jakester

Monorail Question/Suggestion

Ok, so i thought about the ungodly amount of people at WDW from 12/25 - 12/31 every year, and thought, cant they just have the regular hours for the monorail during that time atleast since it gets extremely packed ??
Your thoughts on this being a possibility ??

Scuttle

Ok, so i thought about the ungodly amount of people at WDW from 12/25 - 12/31 every year, and thought, cant they just have the regular hours for the monorail during that time atleast since it gets extremely packed ??
Your thoughts on this being a possibility ??

I'm sure they will. If they aren't done with the monorail beam refurb by then I'm sure they will cancel it for that week and have the monorails running late hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom