Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Except then you have to break it down by length of stay for each party, and do we honestly expect them to do something like that? Plus, how would you charge each party? Do you charge them based on the number of people in their party, or do you only count the "adults"?

Exactly. I'm sure they do have a number somewhere, but it'll never be disclosed to the public, because for the reasons you mentioned above, the numbers will get really sticky and complicated.

Kamikaze

Except then you have to break it down by length of stay for each party, and do we honestly expect them to do something like that? Plus, how would you charge each party? Do you charge them based on the number of people in their party, or do you only count the "adults"?

Its per room, per night. Disney went to a different 'per night' rate a few years ago, so its easy to do the math.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Exactly. I'm sure they do have a number somewhere, but it'll never be disclosed to the public, because for the reasons you mentioned above, the numbers will get really sticky and complicated.

Agreed. It's probably quite complicated, but I'm sure they've come up with some type of a formula to get an idea of the per guest per night cost so that it can be factored into the nightly room rate.

Kamikaze

Ah, thank you. I've never been able to afford these rooms so to be honest I've never even checked into them.

Its the same for basically every hotel in the world (including the World). Room rates are basically on double (adult) occupancy. I suppose singles resorts are the exception. If you have more than two adults, you pay extra. If you have less than two, however, you don't get a discount.

flynnibus

Premium Member
typical setup for chargebacks or subsidies for an organization like this is you charge based on '% of use' out of the possible rather then actual consumption. The costs become operational costs that the facility must budget for in their total revenue. It's never a 'per guest' fee, just like you don't try to figure out 'how much of my room fee is for laundry of my bed sheets'. It's a pooled cost that the property must offset with revenues.

Simple example... say ops agrees resorts should fund 50% of transportation's budget and they come up with a number.. pick an example #.. $20mil. Then resorts goes and says 'well we gotta fund $20mil, and the prime users of that service are these three properties.. and since GF is larger, we are going to say they own 40%, and Poly and CF owe 30% each'... and that number gets added to the operational expense of each resort they must offset with revenues.

At the end of the day... it's an expense the resorts must cover to help subsidize the larger operation. Where the divides are is accounting magic, that often has much more to do with accounting manipulation then it does with any 'per guest' type of modeling.

For instance, it may be more desirable for one operation to run with higher costs due to tax reasons... so you make that operation 'pay' for the services of another... reducing their profit and shifting revenue to another group that may have more attractive balence sheet or tax implications.

In short.. you all are chasing #s that probably have little actual connection to how the business operates.

Yes you can say 'the resort owes $5mil, and they have 500 rooms, divided by 365 days', etc... but it's an artificial number that really doesn't correlate to actual prices. Prices don't move with costs... pricing is set to have target margins above costs, and other factors keep pricing isolated from true costs too. Pricing is all 'artificial' as long as the total P&L unit number is at it's margin targets.

AMartin767

typical setup for chargebacks or subsidies for an organization like this is you charge based on '% of use' out of the possible rather then actual consumption. The costs become operational costs that the facility must budget for in their total revenue. It's never a 'per guest' fee, just like you don't try to figure out 'how much of my room fee is for laundry of my bed sheets'. It's a pooled cost that the property must offset with revenues.

Simple example... say ops agrees resorts should fund 50% of transportation's budget and they come up with a number.. pick an example #.. $20mil. Then resorts goes and says 'well we gotta fund $20mil, and the prime users of that service are these three properties.. and since GF is larger, we are going to say they own 40%, and Poly and CF owe 30% each'... and that number gets added to the operational expense of each resort they must offset with revenues.

At the end of the day... it's an expense the resorts must cover to help subsidize the larger operation. Where the divides are is accounting magic, that often has much more to do with accounting manipulation then it does with any 'per guest' type of modeling.

For instance, it may be more desirable for one operation to run with higher costs due to tax reasons... so you make that operation 'pay' for the services of another... reducing their profit and shifting revenue to another group that may have more attractive balence sheet or tax implications.

In short.. you all are chasing #s that probably have little actual connection to how the business operates.

Yes you can say 'the resort owes $5mil, and they have 500 rooms, divided by 365 days', etc... but it's an artificial number that really doesn't correlate to actual prices. Prices don't move with costs... pricing is set to have target margins above costs, and other factors keep pricing isolated from true costs too. Pricing is all 'artificial' as long as the total P&L unit number is at it's margin targets.

All I can say to this is.. GOORSH! :lol:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
When I toured BLT I was told that part of the annual maintenance dues went to the funding of Transportation, including the monorail.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When I toured BLT I was told that part of the annual maintenance dues went to the funding of Transportation, including the monorail.

As DVC are separately owned and operated... it's not suprising at all that Disney takes the opportunity to charge an 'outside' organization for establishing transportation to those properties. That is cash flow in for Disney Transport.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As DVC are separately owned and operated... it's not suprising at all that Disney takes the opportunity to charge an 'outside' organization for establishing transportation to those properties. That is cash flow in for Disney Transport.

If you want to say that DVC is separately owned and operated, then by that same logic, so is Disney Transport.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you want to say that DVC is separately owned and operated, then by that same logic, so is Disney Transport.

not at all - DVC is funded and maintained by it's members.. Disney is basically the 'developer' selling to owners who must pay in to maintain the property. Just like a condo association, etc. Disney is the developer and makes money by being the 'management company', the 'bank broker', and the property landlord.

That is nothing like Disney Transport, which is simply a division within the resort's Business Unit.

Your leap is b0rked.

DonaldDoleWhip

So how is the Monorail-Armageddon going? Or Marmageddon as it shall be known.
It's still not clear how this will affect MK, as tomorrow (Friday) night and this Sunday night will be the first evening EMH's since the change took effect.

At Epcot, there is now a bus that runs to CR and TTC, and another bus to Poly and GF. I heard very negative comments from someone at the Poly, as the wait for a bus was about 25 minutes. I think CR is the least negatively affected by this change, since previously guests at CR had to take the monorail from Epcot to TTC then switch to the resort monorail (and CR is 4 stops away from the TTC). Now they get a direct bus. Plus, they have the walkway to and from MK. But it sounds like things will be less pleasant for Poly and GF guests.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
not at all - DVC is funded and maintained by it's members.. Disney is basically the 'developer' selling to owners who must pay in to maintain the property. Just like a condo association, etc. Disney is the developer and makes money by being the 'management company', the 'bank broker', and the property landlord.

That is nothing like Disney Transport, which is simply a division within the resort's Business Unit.

Your leap is b0rked.

DVC is still OWNED and OPERATED by TDC.

Your leap is bo9rked

Kamikaze

DVC is still OWNED and OPERATED by TDC.

Your leap is bo9rked

I believe what he meant (or what he was trying to say, at least) is that DVC is not part of Disney Parks and Resorts. It is separate from that division. Transport is part of P&R.

puntagordabob

True.... so we have a good justification to complain if they are not maintaining the system with the true funding needed (and not to Just Get By either).... because in the long run the increased costs they will incur as a result of "avoiding the issue" until it snowballs into a far huger expense to fix it when it gets so bad will be passed onto us too.....

FIX THE SYSTEM..... if that means new monorails fine! if that means shutting the lines down one at a time for real work to be done on the beams then fine!

Stop the darn Band-aids!

I believe what he meant (or what he was trying to say, at least) is that DVC is not part of Disney Parks and Resorts. It is separate from that division. Transport is part of P&R.

True! Of course its all smoke and mirrors really....since because when you follow the different ownership trails, Disney owns the whole Ball of Wax!

carly200

[...]

I think CR is the least negatively affected by this change, since previously guests at CR had to take the monorail from Epcot to TTC then switch to the resort monorail (and CR is 4 stops away from the TTC). Now they get a direct bus. Plus, they have the walkway to and from MK. But it sounds like things will be less pleasant for Poly and GF guests.

:ROFLOL: This really is the coolest argument I ever heard. Although I agree 100% and think you are right, it is just funny how "you" (and wherever you are staying) are MORE affected than anybody else...

So maybe CR guests should pay less, since their Monorail stop is four from TTC... than really Polynesian should be the most expensive one... they are close to MK, Epcot and TTC and they have a great view..... :D

So I keep my point in saying... every resort guest is affected by this, more or less. So let's hope for improvements... :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom