Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

DonaldDoleWhip

:ROFLOL: This really is the coolest argument I ever heard. Although I agree 100% and think you are right, it is just funny how "you" (and wherever you are staying) are MORE affected than anybody else...

So maybe CR guests should pay less, since their Monorail stop is four from TTC... than really Polynesian should be the most expensive one... they are close to MK, Epcot and TTC and they have a great view..... :D

So I keep my point in saying... every resort guest is affected by this, more or less. So let's hope for improvements... :cool:
I honestly don't understand what you're talking about. First of all, I'm not arguing anything in this post. My next trip is at Swan & Beach Club, so this change doesn't affect me. And I've stayed quite often at all three monorail resorts, so this news might make me more likely to pick CR over Poly/GF (I'm not complaining that I'm worse off, I'm saying this might make me more likely to try CR again). I was just reporting the news that CR guests might actually be better off in terms of transport from Epcot, while I've heard some bad first-hand comments from someone at Poly.

And (in the part of my post you deleted), I said we're still not sure how transport from MK will be affected, plus I actually explained how things are going at Epcot.

So stop twisting my words, I was simply providing one of the only monorail-bus-EMH related updates in this thread. You just seem desperate to pick a fight - there are lots of other threads where it might actually be more worth your time. :cool:

carly200

I honestly don't understand what you're talking about. First of all, I'm not arguing anything in this post. My next trip is at Swan & Beach Club, so this change doesn't affect me. And I've stayed quite often at all three monorail resorts, so this news might make me more likely to pick CR over Poly/GF (I'm not complaining that I'm worse off, I'm saying this might make me more likely to try CR again). I was just reporting the news that CR guests might actually be better off in terms of transport from Epcot, while I've heard some bad first-hand comments from someone at Poly.

And (in the part of my post you deleted), I said we're still not sure how transport from MK will be affected, plus I actually explained how things are going at Epcot.

So stop twisting my words, I was simply providing one of the only monorail-bus-EMH related updates in this thread. You just seem desperate to pick a fight - there are lots of other threads where it might actually be more worth your time. :cool:

you are repeating yourself...

I only thought to have read in your posts that the change in Monorail service was bad for on-the-beam-resort-guests only...
now suddenly it is not too bad for the CR guests...

I still think it is bad for everyone.

DonaldDoleWhip

I only thought to have read in your posts that the change in Monorail service was bad for on-the-beam-resort-guests only...

Exactly. Suddenly it's not too bad for CR guests...because we actually know how Epcot transport will operate from now on. It's not just assumptions anymore. These are first-hand reports of the changes.

And if you think it's bad for everyone...pick some non-monorail resorts and tell me how they're worse off. Beach Club. Fort Wilderness. Pop Century. Go ahead, prove how everyone is worse off now. I know I'm staying at Swan and Beach Club in a few weeks, and I don't see myself being affected at all, which I'm quite happy about. :) But again, how is everyone else worse off? The only cases I can think of are if people have late ADR's at a monorail resort restaurant, and even then, that only matters if MK closes earlier than 10 PM (since the monorail would then run until 11).

Kamikaze

It isn't as bad for the Contemporary guests because it is a short walk from the MK to the hotel and vice versa. GF and Poly guests cannot walk to the MK (without walking down roads).

DonaldDoleWhip

And again: I'm not saying it won't be bad at all for CR guests. I still feel for anyone using a wheelchair or stroller, since the buses will make that way more frustrating. However, in terms of actual time lost because of this change, CR is the monorail resort that is least affected. A direct bus from Epcot could potentially be a timesaver compared to the long trip via monorail, and the walkway/possible bus from MK will also be quick compared to the alternatives for GF/Poly.

Meaning: If I had to pick one monorail resort now that I know about this change, it would be CR. I'm not staying at GF/Poly anytime soon, so this isn't me complaining about me me me. I'm just trying to be logical about how this will play out for all three resorts, in the event that we do miss being on the monorail line.

flynnibus

Premium Member
DVC is still OWNED and OPERATED by TDC.

Your leap is bo9rked

They have the same parent - that doesn't mean everything in the company is free. P&L boundaries.. and DVC is a 'sister' company, not part of the resort. DVC is sold and operated by Disney Vacation Development, Inc - a wholly owned subsidiary of TWDC.

DVD is a developer and through a subsidiary it owns, a financier, that sells interest in it's properties and makes money renting vacant properties. They don't get free run of the property and services. The properties have their own budgets and must pay their way. This is shown explicitly in the annual budgets provided to DVC owners.

Why would the resort or RCID just give away utilities and services to an entirely different company that just happens to be owned by the same parent as they might be? They each have their own P&L to maintain.

Tom

Beta Return
They have the same parent - that doesn't mean everything in the company is free. P&L boundaries.. and DVC is a 'sister' company, not part of the resort. DVC is sold and operated by Disney Vacation Development, Inc - a wholly owned subsidiary of TWDC.

DVD is a developer and through a subsidiary it owns, a financier, that sells interest in it's properties and makes money renting vacant properties. They don't get free run of the property and services. The properties have their own budgets and must pay their way. This is shown explicitly in the annual budgets provided to DVC owners.

Why would the resort or RCID just give away utilities and services to an entirely different company that just happens to be owned by the same parent as they might be? They each have their own P&L to maintain.

Precisely. When you see a Disney advertisement on TV, The Walt Disney Travel Company is paying ABC for air time for that commercial. At the top it's all Disney, but ABC still has to account for the revenue that :30 slot was supposed to make, and the WDTC charges the cost against its marketing budget.

Along the same lines, each resort hotel "pays" the transportation division for use of the buses, monorails and boats. Transportation has a budget for payroll, maintenance and operation. They have to offset that budget with revenue, and that revenue comes from "selling" its services to the resorts and theme parks.

It's even more important with DVC resorts, since they are literally a separate company from P&R.

True, all this money is simply transferred around on paper, but it's vital to the organization to track costs this way, otherwise they'd never know if one division was running efficiently, or even what it cost to operate each profit center.

Communicore

On Red right about now and it has very jerky brakes and it grinds. 30 min until EMH and 1:30 before monorail closes. I'm gonna stay until 1 at MK and check out people's reactions to the monorail closing. There are signs all over the Contemporary that monorail closes at 1. I parked there today and I'll just walk back but I wanna see the Poly-ers and Grand Floridian-ers reactions!

DonaldDoleWhip

On Red right about now and it has very jerky brakes and it grinds. 30 min until EMH and 1:30 before monorail closes. I'm gonna stay until 1 at MK and check out people's reactions to the monorail closing. There are signs all over the Contemporary that monorail closes at 1. I parked there today and I'll just walk back but I wanna see the Poly-ers and Grand Floridian-ers reactions!
Thanks so much for the update! I wish I could be there too! Have fun watching the (rightfully, IMO) frustrated monorail resort guests :ROFLOL:

EvilQueen-T

thanks for posting. dying to know how it goes. i check in to the poly in 8 days and our first night there is our emh night at mk.

Communicore

I just asked a Guest Services CM what to take for a return to Grand Floridian at 3 am, she was about to say monorail and was abruptly cut off by another who said "Buses!" ha ha ha!!

EvilQueen-T

I just asked a Guest Services CM what to take for a return to Grand Floridian at 3 am, she was about to say monorail and was abruptly cut off by another who said "Buses!" ha ha ha!!

if you're the social type (away from the computer that is lol) you should chit chat with people in lines, see what people not on these boards think of the change.

Communicore

My EMH odd-venture has ended and I'm now back at the Contemporary lobby. Here were my observations:

1. There are signs galore directing everyone to go left to the buses or straight to the boats. I asked a Contemporary guest if they felt inconvenienced and she said it's a pain to wait for a Contemporary bus. That's a real absurd phrase there, a Contemporary bus! I walked to the bus area and the Contemporary bus got to the stop. It was a Contemporary/Poly/G. Floridian bus! There were not a lot of people who boarded.

2. I saw there was a crowd at the resort launches but did not notice the boats used.

3. I left the bus stop to use the walkway, but before I walked back I decided to speak with a monorail CM who was directing people away from the monorails. He said there have been several complaints from the resort monorail guests and all he can say is "Our apologies." The most common complaint would be why did they have to pay for a monorail resort and go to EMH yet not be able to ride back.

4. As I walked to the Contemporary walkway I noticed a CM with one of those survey PalmPilot devices but she was not asking questions. Instead she was tabulating how many people are using the walkway!!

5. I spoke to a family on the walk back and they said they should've just stayed at All Star or Pop Century instead of Bay Lake Tower! However they were also in agreement that it was best for the monorails to get repaired or whatnot.

6. When I arrived at the parking lot a bus happened to stop and drop people off. I noticed another CM with the PalmPilot deal and he confirmed that they have been asked to count how many guests were dropped off!!!

7. At least there is a separate TTC bus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom