Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

puntagordabob

Seem like you would be taking notes, have index cards organized and maybe a spreadsheet to follow all the views in this thread. When explaining your point of view fails just :p at the opponent.

True...but my point of view in this case is not failing what so ever....

LOL at the index cards and spreadsheet :)

parkgoer

The NTSB strongly disagrees with your classification of the WDW monorail as an attraction. Just because it does something unique that garners attention doesn't mean it's an attraction.

The monorail is the primary mode of transportation used by guests at the Contemporary, Poly, and GF to get to the MK and Epcot. Comparing the monorail to an attraction is silly.

regardless disney see's it as an "attraction" so they can get away with paying the measly $8.00hr wages just like the other attractions.

carly200

@ donald
you are right, that I only posted twice, but that doesn't mean I wasn't following the topics...

since it seems that many people around here don't seem to care what others think, I wonder why they post their opinion... do they really think anybody else would care about their opinion? :cool: (caution irony...)

anyways, I never meant to not respect your (the others) opinions, I was just saying that not everybody agrees with your point of view. and the way you express yours sounds very absoulte.

To me it also is a very unattractive move, to not run their best mode of transportation (not even for their premium guests).

Have any conclusive comments from official sources stated if there is an alternative, or what the long term plan regarding the monorail issue is?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
regardless disney see's it as an "attraction" so they can get away with paying the measly $8.00hr wages just like the other attractions.

If Disney saw the monorails as an attraction they wouldn't fall under the transportation department and report to Jim Vendur, VP of Transportation Operations and Maintenance.

DonaldDoleWhip

@ donald
you are right, that I only posted twice, but that doesn't mean I wasn't following the topics...

since it seems that many people around here don't seem to care what others think, I wonder why they post their opinion... do they really think anybody else would care about their opinion? :cool: (caution irony...)

anyways, I never meant to not respect your (the others) opinions, I was just saying that not everybody agrees with your point of view. and the way you express yours sounds very absoulte.

To me it also is a very unattractive move, to not run their best mode of transportation (not even for their premium guests).

Have any conclusive comments from official sources stated if there is an alternative, or what the long term plan regarding the monorail issue is?
From a monorail resort guest's perspective, it is practically absolute. Anyone who liked using the monorail to get to/from evening EMH from their resort would not be happy about this news. Some people can live with it but still might be disappointed. For others, this affects their resort choice. But I don't think any of the people who are completely fine with this move (the ones who justify budget cuts and think that staying at a monorail resort shouldn't guarantee you monorail access during park hours), are frequent guests at the monorail resort who take advantage of EMH.

I don't post my opinion because I think anyone else cares about it. I post my opinion because I have something to say, and if people don't speak up, nobody will know that anyone is upset. The fact that people actually want to change their resort because of this could be a big deal if it affects occupancy in a noticeable way (even though I personally think this change will still become permanent).

freediverdude

The current response is that they'll be running buses from MK and Epcot to the monorail resorts, just like they do for the non-monorail resorts during EMH. Your son will be able to ride on the bus to the Contemporary from either of those parks during evening EMH. Or, you can simply walk and push him down the short path to the Contemporary from the MK. It's a nice stroll and gets you there faster than any form of transportation.

So they're still going to pay for buses to run to the 3 monorail resorts during EMH? How does that really equal much of a cost savings then, over just running one monorail line to MK and one train to Epcot for those 2 hours? You're still paying drivers (in the case of buses, actually more driver hours, since a bunch of buses require more drivers than 2 monorails), you're still paying for gas/electricity. And ing off the monorail resort guests thrown in for good measure. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers somehow, but I don't get it. It can't be that much of a savings, and it's not every night anyway, just a couple nights a week for MK and a couple for Epcot.

carly200

you are really not getting it.
what makes you think that ONLY resort guests on the beam are affected; and that their discomfort is so much greater than others?

I could argue that they are still very close to the major park...

Unless I was in very short Disney transportation of my favorite destinations, I would always drive by car which is so much faster for park hopping...

Like I said before I agree that it is a great discomfort for SSL guests, but it is as much for all other resort guests as well.

DonaldDoleWhip

what makes you think that ONLY resort guests on the beam are affected; and that their discomfort is so much greater than others?

Unless I was in very short Disney transportation of my favorite destinations, I would always drive by car which is so much faster for park hopping...

Like I said before I agree that it is a great discomfort for SSL guests, but it is as much for all other resort guests as well.
Nope, I don't get it. I've stayed at non-monorail resorts (including ones that require a bus to MK) plenty of times. I've also stayed at the monorail resorts more times than I can count. I know that this wouldn't affect me if I were staying at WL, but it would be a huge issue at GF. That's my opinion, and the only other group of people I consider to be inconvenienced are those who have late dinner ressies at a monorail resort and MK is already closed.

Kamikaze

Because, once again, you are choosing not to use the provided transportation and take your own. Therefore, your right to complain is not valid, as monorail resort guests are having their choice taken away.

DonaldDoleWhip

Because, once again, you are choosing not to use the provided transportation and take your own. Therefore, your right to complain is not valid, as monorail resort guests are having their choice taken away.
Agreed. As a general rule, Disney resort guests use the provided transportation to get to the parks from their resort. This has become even more prevalent with the rise of the "all-inclusive" tactics to get more people on property: Magic Your Way, Magical Express, Dining Plan, etc.

So, here are some of these typical patterns among guests at some sample Disney resorts.

#1: The typical Pop guests use the bus to get to/from MK and Epcot. That hasn't changed.
#2: The typical Wilderness Lodge guests use the bus or boat to get to/from MK, and the bus to Epcot. That hasn't changed.
#3: The typical monorail resort guests use the monorail, boats, or walkway to get to/from MK. They use the monorail to Epcot. The majority of monorail guests don't bother with the low-capacity boats, and I don't think most CR guests walk to MK, so the monorail has always been the foundation of MK/Epcot transportation in this area. This will be changing, and it's the only area that has been messed up compared to what it was.

When I'm at WL in a few days, I won't feel bad at all about the EMH transport. I'll happily take a bus or boat at a slow pace back to the hotel. But when I choose a monorail resort, I specifically expect that 5 minute ride to/from MK, and a bus simply isn't a good enough replacement.

And even if you insist on acknowledging the small fraction of resort guests who would skip the direct bus and drive to the TTC for MK EMH, they still have the 8-minute ride on a huge, handicapped-accessible ferry available. GF and Poly guests get a bus and a dingy little boat that barely seats 35 people and isn't accessible for disabled guests. That's no better than what WL offers. And guests who drive will not be impacted at all by Epcot's EMH, whereas monorail resort guests will.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So they're still going to pay for buses to run to the 3 monorail resorts during EMH? How does that really equal much of a cost savings then, over just running one monorail line to MK and one train to Epcot for those 2 hours?

It's not about saving transportation costs per say - it's about getting more non-operational time for the monorail system so it can have it's needs tended to.

Tom

Beta Return
So they're still going to pay for buses to run to the 3 monorail resorts during EMH? How does that really equal much of a cost savings then, over just running one monorail line to MK and one train to Epcot for those 2 hours? You're still paying drivers (in the case of buses, actually more driver hours, since a bunch of buses require more drivers than 2 monorails), you're still paying for gas/electricity. And ing off the monorail resort guests thrown in for good measure. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers somehow, but I don't get it. It can't be that much of a savings, and it's not every night anyway, just a couple nights a week for MK and a couple for Epcot.

From what I've gathered, this is more for maintenance reasons and not necessarily cost-saving reasons. They will likely be paying more to run 2-3 buses between the EMH park and the 3 resorts than they would staffing the monorail.

But with all the recent mechanical and electrical issues with the monorails, their age is starting to show. While some of them make it to the garage at night, the last ones on the beam just park at stations for a few hours until it's time to start hauling guests the next morning. And with purple/pink being out of operation for so long, it's put a major strain on the other 10 trains (11 recently).

The trains need to spend more time in the barn getting overhauled than they do out on the beam, or they'll end up with hundreds of unhappy guests who are constantly being stranded on the Express beam because the trains can't climb the 2% grade.

Now, don't take this as my defense...because they can still handle EMH with 1 or 2 trains running, and park the other 9 early. With a tiny bit of logistics, they can schedule all the trains to have routine maintenance again, AND provide the service to the Monorail Resort guests.

I would say that less than 1% of non-monorail-resort guests would be affected by this change. You have to be a Disney Resort guest to take advantage of EMH, so that already limits the people being affected to Disney Resort guests.

Of those guests, most Resort guests (not all, most) use Disney transportation to get around. And since they offer buses directly from the Theme Parks to all of the hotels, the non-beam guests would simply take a bus as usual.

Those of you who choose to drive to the parks from your Disney Resort will miss out on the opportunity to take the monorail, but you're not technically losing out on a privilege you paid for directly. Plus, you still have the ferry, which is not a sub-par mode of transportation...while the resort launches are indeed.

Guests staying in a beam resort are absolutely paying a "Monorail Tax" as a part of their room rate, no matter what the argument is. By taking away that amenity, guests at those three resorts are actually losing on the deal. They're paying the same rate and getting less. Non-beam guests never paid a "Monorail Tax" so they're not technically losing, monetarily. Yes, again, if you choose to drive, you won't have the option of taking the monorail back to your car...but you're also in the minority. Thus, it is a false statement to say that NOBODY other than beam resort guests are being punished, but 99% of those being punished are beam resort guests.

Agreed. As a general rule, Disney resort guests use the provided transportation to get to the parks from their resort. This has become even more prevalent with the rise of the "all-inclusive" tactics to get more people on property: Magic Your Way, Magical Express, Dining Plan, etc.

So, here are some of these typical patterns among guests at some sample Disney resorts.

#1: The typical Pop guests use the bus to get to/from MK and Epcot. That hasn't changed.
#2: The typical Wilderness Lodge guests use the bus or boat to get to/from MK, and the bus to Epcot. That hasn't changed.
#3: The typical monorail resort guests use the monorail, boats, or walkway to get to/from MK. They use the monorail to Epcot. The majority of monorail guests don't bother with the low-capacity boats, and I don't think most CR guests walk to MK, so the monorail has always been the foundation of MK/Epcot transportation in this area. This will be changing, and it's the only area that has been messed up compared to what it was.

When I'm at WL in a few days, I won't feel bad at all about the EMH transport. I'll happily take a bus or boat at a slow pace back to the hotel. But when I choose a monorail resort, I specifically expect that 5 minute ride to/from MK, and a bus simply isn't a good enough replacement.

And even if you insist on acknowledging the small fraction of resort guests who would skip the direct bus and drive to the TTC for MK EMH, they still have the 8-minute ride on a huge, handicapped-accessible ferry available. GF and Poly guests get a bus and a dingy little boat that barely seats 35 people and isn't accessible for disabled guests. That's no better than what WL offers. And guests who drive will not be impacted at all by Epcot's EMH, whereas monorail resort guests will.

Yes.

My wife and I will be staying at the Poly Aug 27-31. We're not changing resorts, because we've always wanted to stay there, and an opportunity came along which made it financially feasible, so we're keeping our reservation as-is. When we heard about this news, we were both infuriated. We will be taking advantage of evening EMH at the MK that Sunday night and the fact that we have to ride back on a bus, when we are most definitely paying a premium for the monorail service, is quite distressing. We love the monorail, and hate the buses. And since the launches hold about 4 people and a stroller (I exaggerate, but not by much), they're not a valid method of transportation.

I find it absurd that they've made such a knee-jerk action. If they're cutting costs, just put 1 train on the beam and make the stops shorter. If they're worried about maintenance, hire someone who has a few brain cells, so they can figure out the logistics of running the monorails while also cycling them in for PM.

My old neighbor worked for a major airline, and his job was to coordinate their entire fleet of aircraft to make sure their flight paths put them in the correct hubs at any given time so that they could get their tires changed, or seats repaired, or get re-painted. Thousands of planes, all of which need to stay in service as much as possible to generate revenue, and they were able to schedule their "shifts" so they were in for maintenance when they needed to be, and back in the air quickly. This is something a 6th grader could do for the monorails.

4+3+2=9. 11-9 = 2. So, when 9 are scheduled to run for a day, 2 are in the shop. Put a big crew on them, and have them out the next day, while rotating another 2 in. This is just a smart-a$$ example, but the concept doesn't change.

draybook

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/transportation/

Uh, according to the WDW website, monorail AND boat are provided methods of transportation from the GF to the MK. No matter the size of the boats, you sir are technically choosing to ignore a method of provided transportation, as you say we are doing with the buses. As a paying guest, we have the right to lodge a complaint as much as the next person. You need to come down off of your high horse.

menamechris

I have to say - I am amazed that this thread is still going. It is what it is, folks. Think of your "inconvenience" of no monorail during EMH as your investment in ensuring that the monorail is running at all for your next visit. They are getting old - and let's be honest - if Disney is acknowledging that they need the extra maintenance at night - they must REALLY need it. As with anything - transportation (and modes thereof) are all subject to change, regardless of whether you have paid extra for a monorail resort or not. In fact, if for some weird (and obviously unlikely) reason Disney decided to not run the resort monorail again, that would be their prerogative. They have given everyone with reservations at these hotels ample time to change their reservation if they are truly that offended and infuriated by this. For those who don't, the boat ride is actually very beautiful and peaceful at night. And yes...they have boats that hold about 3 times the size of the standard boat that runs. You will find these boats out during the holidays and peak seasons - and I am sure they will be brought out now for EMH as the need arises...

DonaldDoleWhip

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/transportation/

Uh, according to the WDW website, monorail AND boat are provided methods of transportation from the GF to the MK. No matter the size of the boats, you sir are technically choosing to ignore a method of provided transportation, as you say we are doing with the buses. As a paying guest, we have the right to lodge a complaint as much as the next person. You need to come down off of your high horse.
I travel with someone who has walking difficulties and cannot use that boat. Most guests at monorail guests use the monorail, either because they don't know about the boat, or they prefer the monorail for its stroller and wheelchair accessibility or whatever other reason. And the boat STILL has a long line at night because it's so tiny. Your situation is incomparable. Stop fighting for your right to complain if, as you've claimed, you really don't care that much. When people care about something, it's for a reason.

menamechris

I travel with someone who has walking difficulties and cannot use that boat. Most guests at monorail guests use the monorail, either because they don't know about the boat, or they prefer the monorail for its stroller and wheelchair accessibility or whatever other reason. And the boat STILL has a long line at night because it's so tiny. Your situation is incomparable. Stop fighting for your right to complain if, as you've claimed, you really don't care that much. When people care about something, it's for a reason.

What is your solution? Do you think it better for Disney to not properly maintain the monorail and allow the kind of breakdowns and stall outs that have been happening as of late continue? You may have your reasons, but you also have to acknowledge that Disney has theirs too. They aren't doing it to be mean...they are doing it because its necessary to keep all guests safe.

Kamikaze

You still don't get it.
Disney's provided transportation to the Magic Kingdom from everywhere outside of the MK resort area is by bus. People taking these buses are not effected by this change to the monorail.
You are choosing to drive to the MK parking lot.
A monorail resort guest is choosing to take the monorail.
The monorail resort guest is being forced to take the alternate transportation.
You are choosing to take the alternate transportation.
Therefore, you are choosing to be effected. Your way around this, and around complaints, is to take the provided bus to the front of the MK.
A monorail resort guest's way around this change is to take the alternate transportation. Their primary transportation method was taken away. They did not choose to take alternate transportation, they were forced to do so.

If you are choosing to make this a problem, it is your fault, not Disney's. Would you complain that you drove from POP to Downtown Disney and couldn't get a direct bus to MK?

What is your solution? Do you think it better for Disney to not properly maintain the monorail and allow the kind of breakdowns and stall outs that have been happening as of late continue? You may have your reasons, but you also have to acknowledge that Disney has theirs too. They aren't doing it to be mean...they are doing it because its necessary to keep all guests safe.

I think you misunderstand him. His solution (personally) was to stay elsewhere. He and I are not really saying change the policy, just that people are treating this like it effects every single guest in the World, when it is actually much smaller than that.

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm not going through this thread again, but there are other solutions. They're just more expensive. Disney has their reasons, and now we have ours to stay at non-monorail resorts (and non-Disney resorts, such as Swan). And again, until I hear about improvements made to the monorails as a result of this, I see this as simply a way to save money and cut costs until the monorails finally have nothing left to give (in which case, they're either replaced or gone forever).

menamechris

I'm not going through this thread again, but there are other solutions. They're just more expensive. Disney has their reasons, and now we have ours to stay at non-monorail resorts (and non-Disney resorts, such as Swan). And again, until I hear about improvements made to the monorails as a result of this, I se this as simply a way to save money and cut costs until the monorails finally have nothing left to give (in which case, they're either replaced or gone forever).

Staying at a non-monorail or even non-Disney resort is a fair enough solution. Especially given the specific needs of your party. I am the first to be critical when I think the resort is making unfair cuts - but I really don't think this is one of them. Saving the few bucks it would cost just to cutback would not be worth it. I think management in genuinely concerned that certain monorails are having trouble getting up the mini-hill and that debris has fallen from the beam (and apparently even started a fire). You really cannot argue with Disney's emphasis on safety - and the necessity to always have an image of being safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom