Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

DonaldDoleWhip

Staying at a non-monorail or even non-Disney resort is a fair enough solution. Especially given the specific needs of your party. I am the first to be critical when I think the resort is making unfair cuts - but I really don't think this is one of them. Saving the few bucks it would cost just to cutback would not be worth it. I think management in genuinely concerned that certain monorails are having trouble getting up the mini-hill and that debris has fallen from the beam (and apparently even started a fire). You really cannot argue with Disney's emphasis on safety - and the necessity to always have an image of being safe.
Even if my party didn't have unusual needs, we would be changing resorts. We aren't spending $400 a night for GF just to take the bus back from Magic Kingdom. Others agree. That's why values and deluxe-lite resorts (AKL and WL) were invented.

And again, until we see evidence that this is safety-related, I simply don't accept it. WDW right now resembles late 90's/early 2000's Disneyland in terms of operation. And that's not a good thing. Look at Disneyland, where I'm pretty sure there were 2 deaths due to the park's negligibility (Big Thunder Mountain, and something involving the Sailing Ship Columbia). WDW has already had the monorail crash. And then there's the fiasco that's Primeval Whirl and the unfortunate accidents there involving CM's. IMO, Old Disney cared about safety. New Disney cares about money first...penny pinch until safety becomes an issue. Be retroactive, not proactive. Still a mistake, IMO. If the monorail is putting people in jeopardy, shut it down. If each train needs a little bit more attention, remove some trains for EMH (but still keep at least one operating) and rotate them more often. But as a customer, to me this is a cutback, plain and simple. And I'm not paying for a monorail resort as I would have otherwise done.

menamechris

Even if my party didn't have unusual needs, we would be changing resorts. We aren't spending $400 a night for GF just to take the bus back from Magic Kingdom. Others agree. That's why values and deluxe-lite resorts (AKL and WL) were invented.

And again, until we see evidence that this is safety-related, I simply don't accept it. WDW right now resembles late 90's/early 2000's Disneyland in terms of operation. And that's not a good thing. Look at Disneyland, where I'm pretty sure there were 2 deaths due to the park's negligibility (Big Thunder Mountain, and something involving the Sailing Ship Columbia). WDW has already had the monorail crash. And then there's the fiasco that's Primeval Whirl and the unfortunate accidents there involving CM's. IMO, Old Disney cared about safety. New Disney cares about money first...penny pinch until safety becomes an issue. Be retroactive, not proactive. Still a mistake, IMO. If the monorail is putting people in jeopardy, shut it down. If each train needs a little bit more attention, remove some trains for EMH (but still keep at least one operating) and rotate them more often. But as a customer, to me this is a cutback, plain and simple. And I'm not paying for a monorail resort as I would have otherwise done.

Your "WDW resembles Disneyland a decade ago" quote is a phrase that is being tossed around a lot now. I don't completely disagree, but your examples have nothing to do with quality or lack of safety concern. Anytime a guest or CM chooses not follow safety protocol (as is the case in your examples) - accidents will happen and the company has no control over that. With that said - regardless of whatever cynicism there may be about their motivation to discontinue the monorail for EMH - they CAN control proper maintenance of machines. And if Disney really wanted to cut back, they wouldn't do it by sending a handful of minimum wage workers home a couple hours early. They would discontinue EMH. People seem to forget that this is still a fairly new privilege. They could very easily adopt Disneyland's one-hour-early in the parks perk. In fact, that's the way it used to be at WDW when I was a kid. And I don't remember there being any problem filling the resorts then either..

DonaldDoleWhip

Your "WDW resembles Disneyland a decade ago" quote is a phrase that is being tossed around a lot now. I don't completely disagree, but your examples have nothing to do with quality or lack of safety concern. Anytime a guest or CM chooses not follow safety protocol (as is the case in your examples) - accidents will happen and the company has no control over that. With that said - regardless of whatever cynicism there may be about their motivation to discontinue the monorail for EMH - they CAN control proper maintenance of machines. And if Disney really wanted to cut back, they wouldn't do it by sending a handful of minimum wage workers home a couple hours early. They would discontinue EMH. People seem to forget that this is still a fairly new privilege. They could very easily adopt Disneyland's one-hour-early in the parks perk. In fact, that's the way it used to be at WDW when I was a kid. And I don't remember there being any problem filling the resorts then either..
Ah, but cutting evening EMH would be extremely noticeable since it's a resort perk that everyone currently gets. The PR for that would be much worse than it currently is because of the monorail change. Disney likes to start with small things, like prime rib and the Lights of Winter.

loboftbl

If I am not mistaken(very well could be), the Columbia incident at Disneyland was caused by a lack of maintenance. One of the hooks holding a rope broke and either injured or killed someone. Not because of guest or CM ignorance.

On second look, a man was killed and his wife was disfigured when a metal cleat on the ship broke. From reading a little it appears Disney used a nylon rope instead of a hemp room which would have provided greater safety.

menamechris

If I am not mistaken(very well could be), the Columbia incident at Disneyland was caused by a lack of maintenance. One of the hooks holding a rope broke and either injured or killed someone. Not because of guest or CM ignorance.

I am unfamiliar with that incident, so you may be correct. But even if that's the case, one incident is hardly a pattern on negligence...

menamechris

Ah, but cutting evening EMH would be extremely noticeable since it's a resort perk that everyone currently gets. The PR for that would be much worse than it currently is because of the monorail change. Disney likes to start with small things, like prime rib and the Lights of Winter.

True - they go for the less intrusive cuts. But I am rather puzzled. Didn't you say in another thread today that you thought making cuts to the Halloween party was a "wise business move", because it saved money and only affected a small group of people (even though those guests have paid a premium to go to the party after hours). So Disney is being cheap, evil, and going down the tubes if any cut affects you and your plans - but if it affects others, oh well - its smart business?

draybook

You still don't get it.
Disney's provided transportation to the Magic Kingdom from everywhere outside of the MK resort area is by bus. People taking these buses are not effected by this change to the monorail.
You are choosing to drive to the MK parking lot.
A monorail resort guest is choosing to take the monorail.
The monorail resort guest is being forced to take the alternate transportation.
You are choosing to take the alternate transportation.
Therefore, you are choosing to be effected. Your way around this, and around complaints, is to take the provided bus to the front of the MK.
A monorail resort guest's way around this change is to take the alternate transportation. Their primary transportation method was taken away. They did not choose to take alternate transportation, they were forced to do so.

If you are choosing to make this a problem, it is your fault, not Disney's. Would you complain that you drove from POP to Downtown Disney and couldn't get a direct bus to MK?

I think you misunderstand him. His solution (personally) was to stay elsewhere. He and I are not really saying change the policy, just that people are treating this like it effects every single guest in the World, when it is actually much smaller than that.

You are choosing to stay at the monorail resort. See how choices work? Once again for the visually impaired, I am not complaining about the situation. I'm stating that everyone using the monorail is affected. If you choose to stay at a rail resort then just like you said, you're making it your problem and it's your fault.

puntagordabob

You are choosing to stay at the monorail resort. See how choices work? Once again for the visually impaired, I am not complaining about the situation. I'm stating that everyone using the monorail is affected. If you choose to stay at a rail resort then just like you said, you're making it your problem and it's your fault.

LOL its my fault that I bought into the DVC at Bay Lake Tower then! :hammer:

Draybook I sincerely hope I am around one day when you are "up in arms" over some topic one day on here (whether your position is correct or not) so I can quote all your comments like "you're making it your problem and it's your fault" lol ..... but of course when THAT day comes I fully expect for you to point out that this "whatever the new issue is" is COMPLETELY different... which of course it will be since it DOES affect you right? :shrug:

captainkidd

I'm not trying to be offensive, but you really just don't get what people are saying. It was all explained pretty clear to you yesterday.

- Disney says nothing of Pop guests getting use of the monorail. You aren't paying for it. You aren't losing out on anything you paid for.

- Disney DOES SAY that guests staying at the monorail resorts have use of the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. They aren't changing this statement due to this change. Those people ARE paying for it. They are losing out.

Monorail_Orange

:ROFLOL: You must be part criminal defense attorney, because that's the only other people I've seen repeat the same illogical hyperbole over and over and over again every time someone successfully reiterates their argument in opposition. Look, I'm with you, I can't afford to stay many places other than POP or a moderate for most of my trips, and I still think this is something of a raw deal for beam resort guests.
That being said though, many are still missing the point - monorails stop operation one hour after park close, not just for EMH nights, EVERY night - the monorail will cease operation at 8pm when Magic Kingdom closes at 7 for hard ticket events. Or look at a night like 9/15 - MK closing a 6, monorail will shut down at 7. So say one is staying at the contemporary, and you have reservations at O'hana :slurp: at the Poly at 8:30. How does one get there? Monorail's closed. Busses and Boats stop an hour after park close, so can't even walk to park and catch bus. And for those of screaming "it must be done for maintenance" - fine, then why is this a permanent change? Once the Resort beam is fully and appropriately repaired, why couldn't it be kept online longer each evening, and rotate the trains? Remember only 9 can actually go in the barn - the 10th beam is the paint shop anyway, so that leaves 2 (soon to be 3, hopefully) out in the stations every night, so no service for them until other trains come out.

Kamikaze

Its not that complicated. Staying at a monorail resort denotes that you will be able to use the monorail. Staying at a value (or any non-monorail resort) denotes that you get to use the bus system. Just because you drive to the MK parking lot because you like to make things more difficult for yourself does not mean that you are somehow just as effected as the monorail guest.

draybook

Its not that complicated. Staying at a monorail resort denotes that you will be able to use the monorail. Staying at a value (or any non-monorail resort) denotes that you get to use the bus system. Just because you drive to the MK parking lot because you like to make things more difficult for yourself does not mean that you are somehow just as effected as the monorail guest.

It's not making anything difficult for me and I'm not *affected as much, I've already said that.

Affected is the correct spelling in this case. Not bad for someone with a mental deficiency, right?

CaptainKidd, I'm not offended. nothing but friendly debate going on here. Imagine how boring the planet would be if everyone thought alike! :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
aardvark.png

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx

Sorry pet peeve :wave:

DonaldDoleWhip

It's not making anything difficult for me and I'm not *affected as much, I've already said that.

Affected is the correct spelling in this case. Not bad for someone with a mental deficiency, right?

CaptainKidd, I'm not offended. nothing but friendly debate going on here. Imagine how boring the planet would be if everyone thought alike! :wave:
What are you arguing then, if you're not complaining?

And there's a difference between friendly debate and pointless debate. Nobody likes a person who plays devil's advocate just to be annoying. Which is clearly what you're doing, since you don't respond to anyone's logical points and just repeat your mantra about people choosing deluxe resorts. Um, this change was announced within the 45 day mark of many guests, who would have to pay a fee to change their ressie if they booked a package. How is that their fault?

flynnibus

Premium Member

On second look, a man was killed and his wife was disfigured when a metal cleat on the ship broke. From reading a little it appears Disney used a nylon rope instead of a hemp room which would have provided greater safety.

It was improper CM actions (with bad training) along with the wrong materials being used by maintenance (wrong type of rope) that when combined lead to the accident.

puntagordabob

LOL attacking someone's spelling deficiencies still does not change their point being correct!

If this is not a big problem for you then why are you so interested? Just curious why this particular topic fascinates you so?

As for your last comment.....I agree....so long as it doesnt result in war in the real world.

What are you arguing then, if you're not complaining?

And there's a difference between friendly debate and pointless debate. Nobody likes a person who plays devil's advocate just to be annoying. Which is clearly what you're doing, since you don't respond to anyone's logical points and just repeat your mantra about people choosing deluxe resorts. Um, this change was announced within the 45 day mark of many guests, who would have to pay a fee to change their ressie if they booked a package. How is that their fault?

All good points.

IF you think the thread here is pointless...you ought to see the crap being posted on DISboards....they are at 2222+ (I am not joking!) posts and there is still people arguing that THIS is not a cutback but rather simply a change...seriously!!

devoy1701

I'm also going to throw out there that I have been told that if maintained properly these monorail trains should be able to operated on their original schedule without a problem, and even operate a 24hr a day schedule in a rotation if needed. This needed "maintenance" is because WDW has neglected to properly maintain these trains over the last couple years to the point where now these trains can no longer handle the demanding schedule.

kapeman

This hasn't been confirmed, but someone posted on another board they received a call from DVC Member Services stating, " ...the resort monorail will stay open until 11pm every night regardless of when the parks close."

"The message I received indicated that this reflected "additional information" about the policy from their "transportation partners,""

Has anyone heard anything new?

EvilQueen-T

if the current monorail trains are in such bad shape that they can't keep up can't they build another train??? they're building a new dumbo ride so why not??? they built the ones they have at some point...i'm just sayin' :shrug:

anyone going to the parks next week? would love to hear how things go on mk emh night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom