Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

flavious27

No, it doesn't prove your point, since Poly and Wilderness Lodge are very similar resorts (elaborately themed, family friendly, two pools, MK area) with the key difference being monorail access for Poly. And right now, Poly costs 52% more than Wilderness.

How does it cost 50% more? For he value season the cheapest room at wl is a 4 person at $250, at poly it is a 5 person at 385. So it is $62.5 per person in wl cheapest room while it is $77 per person for poly's cheapest room. Even with that comparsion, poly's cheapest room offers better viewes than wl's. This is why poly would cost more than wl, it is more scenic. If we look at the other deluxe hotels, boardwalk inn's comparable room to poly's is 425 for a room that holds 5 people.

Deluxe's price are high because of the amenties of the room, the theme of the hotel and the location of the hotel.

DonaldDoleWhip

How does it cost 50% more? For he value season the cheapest room at wl is a 4 person at $250, at poly it is a 5 person at 385. So it is $62.5 per person in wl cheapest room while it is $77 per person for poly's cheapest room. Even with that comparsion, poly's cheapest room offers better viewes than wl's. This is why poly would cost more than wl, it is more scenic. If we look at the other deluxe hotels, boardwalk inn's comparable room to poly's is 425 for a room that holds 5 people.

Deluxe's price are high because of the amenties of the room, the theme of the hotel and the location of the hotel.
When we travel, we're a group of 4 people max anyway, so it doesn't affect me whether the room sleeps 4 or 5. But your point is valid - Poly, GF, and CR do have rooms that sleep 5. BUT so do Boardwalk, Yacht, and Beach, which have boats/walkways to 2 parks and still cost less.

A room at Poly costs $135 more than a room at Wilderness. $135/$250 = 54%. So compared to staying at Wilderness, a room at Poly costs 54% more. And Poly's cheapest room overlooks gardens and/or parking lot. Wilderness Lodge's cheapest room overlooks trees and/or parking lot. I don't think Poly is more scenic than WL - WL is full of woods, a geyser, rock work, it's right on Bay Lake, and it's one of the most elaborately themed deluxes. So the reasons that Poly costs more are rooms that sleep 1 more person, and the monorail.

The thing is, however you slice it, Poly, GF, BLT, and CR's tower cost more than the other deluxes. Since Boardwalk, Yacht, and Beach have walkways and boats to Epcot and DHS (and their rooms also sleep 5), then the monorail to MK is still a large factor in why the MK resorts have higher rates.

captainkidd

And on other websites (DISboards), the discussion has been even hotter and with more people involved.

And the mods haven't locked it yet? That's odd. Over there, unless you like everything from Mickey Mouse Ice Cream bars to the doodies left by the horses on Main Street, you're usually banned.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So you would rather take a monorail to the MK first and then transfer to a TTC one in order to transfer to the Epcot line? The resort monorail has to stop at the TTC.

Oh yeah - That.:hammer:

Let me rephrase that - After hours, there is no reason for anyone but monorail resort guests to be on the resort line.

After hours there would be no reason for people to transfer to the Epcot monorail line as Epcot would have LONG been closed.

The original assertion of this tangent of the thread was that after hours only the resort line could run and exclude the TTA. How many people are going to park at Epcot to attend EMH at the MK? No one that is staying at a Disney Resort!

draybook

I'd be interested in seeing the number of people staying at a loop resort attending EMH vs those staying at another on-site resort but attending EMH. Honestly, I could see the push for a loop only monorail running. If the people shelling out the big bucks do the talking with their wallets then Disney might have to listen.

Uncle Lupe

puntagordabob..

So the monorail is seen strictly as a mode of transportation not an attraction?
I think when the monorail goes through your flagship resort it's being used as an attraction to get attention not just a mode of transportation.

How long did it take you to multi-quote post # 748? :lol:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
puntagordabob..

I think when the monorail goes through your flagship resort it's being used as an attraction to get attention not just a mode of transportation.

The NTSB strongly disagrees with your classification of the WDW monorail as an attraction. Just because it does something unique that garners attention doesn't mean it's an attraction.

The monorail is the primary mode of transportation used by guests at the Contemporary, Poly, and GF to get to the MK and Epcot. Comparing the monorail to an attraction is silly.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

It's quite easy now that we have this button
multiquote_off.gif

Now a few years back, it was a different story.

captainkidd

The NTSB strongly disagrees with your classification of the WDW monorail as an attraction. Just because it does something unique that garners attention doesn't mean it's an attraction.

The monorail is the primary mode of transportation used by guests at the Contemporary, Poly, and GF to get to the MK and Epcot. Comparing the monorail to an attraction is silly.

The monorail is an attraction at Disneyland, not WDW.

rob0519

The directions below are from the Contemporary Resort webpage. The only way to get to MK is the Theme Park Monorail or walkway.

By taking the monorail out of service for evening EMH they have removed the only mode of transportation. So, yes when the family and I stay at the Contemporary Resort we do expect the monorail to run.

We have a disabled son who physically cannot walk from MK to the resort. I sent an email to Guest Services, but did not receive a reply as to what their plans are for disabled guests. Ten days later, still no response.

I'll find out what the plan is next week as we are staying at the Contemporary for six night

Transportation Between Disney's Contemporary Resort and
Orlando International Airport Disney′s Magical Express
Magic Kingdom theme park Magic Kingdom theme park Monorail or walkway

menamechris

The directions below are from the Contemporary Resort webpage. The only way to get to MK is the Theme Park Monorail or walkway.

By taking the monorail out of service for evening EMH they have removed the only mode of transportation. So, yes when the family and I stay at the Contemporary Resort we do expect the monorail to run.

We have a disabled son who physically cannot walk from MK to the resort. I sent an email to Guest Services, but did not receive a reply as to what their plans are for disabled guests. Ten days later, still no response.

I'll find out what the plan is next week as we are staying at the Contemporary for six night

When the monorail is down, they will modify the boats to make a stop at the Contemporary (on the way to Fort Wilderness, typically).

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm so sorry that they haven't even replied - how horrible. They have to do something for their handicapped guests at monorail resorts. The boat that goes to GF and Poly isn't wheelchair accessible and is very difficult to step down into for anyone with walking difficulty. So Disney literally has to offer a bus or a larger boat to all of the monorail resorts.

Tom

Beta Return

The current response is that they'll be running buses from MK and Epcot to the monorail resorts, just like they do for the non-monorail resorts during EMH. Your son will be able to ride on the bus to the Contemporary from either of those parks during evening EMH. Or, you can simply walk and push him down the short path to the Contemporary from the MK. It's a nice stroll and gets you there faster than any form of transportation.

puntagordabob

puntagordabob..

It may be perceived as an attraction by many of the Guests...but by all legal and practical standards it is public mass transportation.....

As for the monorail passing through the flagship resort...when the line opened in 1971 a lot of people believed that in the future we would all ride monorails and live in buildings like the Contemporary Resort (no joking and although I was a kid at the time of the opening I believed it too lol)...so it was more like having the future here today...

Multi-post question part...I dont recall but it was a while reading through all the posts lol....

flynnibus

Premium Member
I always keep forgetting about them, well akl atleast, I always think of the yacht / boardwalk / beach club as just dvc resorts. But still proves my point that the difference between the monorail resorts is beyond being a monorail resort.

No it doesn't.. and those resorts pre-date DVC invading other resorts.. so I'm not sure why/how you make that connection. Yacht/Beach club is one of the best properties on site actually... its just so expensive while still not being a Monorail resort.. oh yeah, that monorail thing again :)

How does it cost 50% more? For he value season the cheapest room at wl is a 4 person at $250, at poly it is a 5 person at 385

Because that's how math works.. a 135 dollar increase over a 250 price is over a 50% increase in price.

And when you compare deluxes.. you will find most are near the same in the room (at the same level), the theme is not a factor in price, and it's amentities and location that make all the difference. And you can find examples where the monorail is pretty much the major difference.. that's why WL is the example brought up here. The main difference between it and the 'beam resorts is the beam.

The thing is, however you slice it, Poly, GF, BLT, and CR's tower cost more than the other deluxes.

Yeah, I don't know why it's taking page and pages for people to digest that simple fact. They cost more (significantly) and you can draw comparisons of basically the same offering where the only difference is the location. And when location is basically the same (both on the lakes) except for transportation services directly connected.. what is left to justify the difference? hint.. it starts with a m :)

devoy1701

And when you compare deluxes.. you will find most are near the same in the room (at the same level), the theme is not a factor in price, and it's amentities and location that make all the difference. And you can find examples where the monorail is pretty much the major difference.. that's why WL is the example brought up here. The main difference between it and the 'beam resorts is the beam.

Yeah, I don't know why it's taking page and pages for people to digest that simple fact. They cost more (significantly) and you can draw comparisons of basically the same offering where the only difference is the location. And when location is basically the same (both on the lakes) except for transportation services directly connected.. what is left to justify the difference? hint.. it starts with a m :)

I shall repost my rough breakdown again for these people explaining that location and ease of access to the parks are what drives the prices for these Deluxe Resorts. Yes there are some exceptions such as rooms at the Boardwalk overlooking the Boardwalk can get mighty expensive. But even when you compare the Boardwalk to the Poly on the Disney website it tells you that room-only price at Boardwalk start at $345 vs $385 at Poly.

Overall the Deluxe Resorts fall into 3 catagories based on price:

All of that is available on their website or on the fact sheets on this website and others like allears.net. The most expensive Deluxe resorts are on the Monorail Line (Contemp, Poly, GF), followed by the Boardwalk Area Resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht, Beach). This is because of transportation options and proximity to the parks.

• The Monorail resorts have ease of access to 2 theme parks via the monorail, and are adjacent to the flagship park, MK. These resorts tend to be the most expensive.

Boardwalk area resorts are also within close proximity to 2 theme parks, yet they don't have monorail access, and they aren't close to MK.

The other deluxes: WL and AKL only have ease of access to one park, even though WL has water transportation. Hence why they are the cheapest of the Deluxe resorts.
So looking at the 3 sets of deluxes, the only differentiating factor between set one and two is that set one is close to MK and has Monorail access...which means those 2 factors go into the rack rates for the rooms of those resorts.

Uncle Lupe

It may be perceived as an attraction by many of the Guests...but by all legal and practical standards it is public mass transportation.....

As for the monorail passing through the flagship resort...when the line opened in 1971 a lot of people believed that in the future we would all ride monorails and live in buildings like the Contemporary Resort (no joking and although I was a kid at the time of the opening I believed it too lol)...so it was more like having the future here today...

Multi-post question part...I dont recall but it was a while reading through all the posts lol....

Seem like you would be taking notes, have index cards organized and maybe a spreadsheet to follow all the views in this thread. When explaining your point of view fails just :p at the opponent.

diz4ever

This news just made me rebook from the Poly to a moderate , that was one of the main reasons we picked the Poly, the use of the monorails. We take advantage of the emh's every chance we can,and we like the speedy service to Mk and Epcot. I think it will effect the bottom line of the resorts connected to the monorail system, but i can understand that in these bad economic times every dollor they can save is a plus for the company .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom