Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

thelookingglass

I honestly don't feel this is a cost-cutting measure. Those trains are getting old, and while Disney COULD purchase 12 new monorails, that obviously isn't going to happen since they've taken so long just to get half of one back. On nights where MK is open til 1 AM or later, those monorail trains are practically running 24/7.
And just to clarify -- you're implying that TWDC can't afford to purchase new monorails or maintain the monorails they currently operate? We're not talking about building new track (although I have no doubt they could afford that, too). Right.

How many billions in profits does P&R make each year? They can afford new trains at DL, but not WDW?

Hooey.
Well, they only had to buy three monorails for DL, and they're smaller. Not 12 six-car trains designed for mass-transit.

TestTrack

This is a bad decision by Disney if its permanent. It's a CR nightmare...When I was last at Disney the monorail from Epcot broke down right at part closing. You would think people had been told they had to walk back to their resorts given their reaction when they were told to go to the buses. Same thing will happen EMH nights...people will start walking towards the monorails only to have a CM tell them that they don't run at this time of night...

Horrible decision and I agree it seems more maintanance oriented. Regardless I'd be surprised to see it last.

RSoxNo1

While this doesn't really effect me, it's representative of bad business practice. You're inconveniencing your guests and that's going to hurt customer loyalty. I'm sure some people will be less inclined to stay on property as a result of this.

lazyboy97o

No they are not - because not all monorails are running at this time - nor do they need to be. They could change the # of trains without cutting service all together.
Especially since, even with twelve trains, two would not be going back to the barn for the night.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They can afford new trains at DL, but not WDW?

Hooey.

The DL monorails were rebuilt - not new trains. Basically new bodies on the old trains. They only did 3 trains (they used to have 4) and they were and continue to be an operational and design debacle. Following DL's lead would be the last thing WDW wants in this case.

I forget the timeline, but I think it took them roughly 3 years to get those three trains done.. and they still weren't right.. and they still can only operate 2 out of the 3 at a time.

Pioneer Hall

The DL monorails were rebuilt - not new trains. Basically new bodies on the old trains. They only did 3 trains (they used to have 4) and they were and continue to be an operational and design debacle. Following DL's lead would be the last thing WDW wants in this case.

I forget the timeline, but I think it took them roughly 3 years to get those three trains done.. and they still weren't right.. and they still can only operate 2 out of the 3 at a time.

The Disneyland trains were brand new when they debuted. They were not rebuilds and were actually built by a different company from the last models at well. Currently Mark VI trains run at WDW and Mark VII run at DL.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Billions in profits?

P&R made almost 2.5 billion in revenue last quarter alone.. so round up to 10 billion a year.. and the company operates on an overall margin over 10% and P&R is supposed to be one of the jewels so it probably does a lot better then the 10% company average. So yeah, more then a billion a year = billions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And how much money they make doesn't matter. If they won't make the investment back, it doesn't make sense.

Nothing in Disney transport is about ROI - it's a cost of business. Investments in new areas are about driving business.. like in this case, driving the value and bookings of the highest priced resorts on the property.

Not all factors of a business are about ROI. Some are customer sat. Some are simply operational costs that are necessary (security).

Disney is pretty much the poster child of doing it because they feel its necessary for their image or business... to resort to a P&L for each decision would ensure this is no longer the TWDC.

TestTrack

P&R made almost 2.5 billion in revenue last quarter alone.. so round up to 10 billion a year.. and the company operates on an overall margin over 10% and P&R is supposed to be one of the jewels so it probably does a lot better then the 10% company average. So yeah, more then a billion a year = billions.

What person or company works entirely off their revenue numbers to budget for new spending? Disney parks and resorts make approximately 500 million in profit a quarter. That's 2 billion a year. That's not as much as it seems when you consider that's split between many parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like the idea of running a monorail just to the monorail resorts - CR, Poly, GF and skip TTC.

You really don't gain anything by skipping the TTC (maybe a slight load cycle difference) and just cut more people off. They gotta drive through the TTC no matter what.

I think what you might mean is cut the EXPRESS Loop and only run one loop.

lazyboy97o

The Disneyland trains were brand new when they debuted. They were not rebuilds and were actually built by a different company from the last models at well. Currently Mark VI trains run at WDW and Mark VII run at DL.
The Mark III chassis and Mark V bodies, except for the noses, were reused for the Mark VIIs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
(Forgive me if this has been posted) But does anyone know what percentage of monorail hotel guests go to EMH? Especially in the summer. If the park closes at 11pm and EMH goes to say 2am...how many monorail guests are actually using the monorail during that time? If it is a small percentage I can see why shutting down early would make sense for maintenance, etc...

Something to think about...

Typically your highest paying customers are your lowest % of customers by volume. Does that mean you treat your highest paying customers the worst?

Disney's Monorail resort guests are most of the highest cost Disney rooms on property. Disney should be giving these people the BEST service.. not 'oh well, there's only so many of you right?'

TestTrack

Something to think about...

Typically your highest paying customers are your lowest % of customers by volume. Does that mean you treat your highest paying customers the worst?

Disney's Monorail resort guests are most of the highest cost Disney rooms on property. Disney should be giving these people the BEST service.. not 'oh well, there's only so many of you right?'

Depends if you are balancing a country's budget ;)

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
This is a good and much needed decision from management to resolve the problems with lack of maintenance on the monorail system. People staying at monorail resorts will still have access to the monorail the majority of the time. Making it seem like its not worth the extra price of a monorail resort because of those extra 3 hours once a week is ridiculous. Alternate transportation will be available and the boats A) go to the grand first(because I know it's going to be largely grand ppl complaining about this) B) won't have TTC people C) have only 2 stops instead of 4, therefore I would anticipate service for poly and gf people to be equally efficient if not faster. the CR people will end up on a bus and the TTC ppl on a ferryboat.

I don't praise management much for anything, but kudos to them for having the balls to stand up to the complaints(unwarranted IMO) that will come in and FIX OUR MONORAILS

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is a good and much needed decision from management to resolve the problems with lack of maintenance on the monorail system. People staying at monorail resorts will still have access to the monorail the majority of the time. Making it seem like its not worth the extra price of a monorail resort because of those extra 3 hours once a week is ridiculous.

Someone's appreciation of a service never has to do with it's availability when they don't use it - they care about when they use it. If your city bus runs 40 times a day, you only care about the small window when you need it. That's the consumer for you. And these people do use EMH.. so the fact the monorail was running the whole day doesn't mean anything to them when it's not running when they need it.

Alternate transportation will be available and the boats A) go to the grand first(because I know it's going to be largely grand ppl complaining about this) B) won't have TTC people C) have only 2 stops instead of 4, therefore I would anticipate service for poly and gf people to be equally efficient if not faster. the CR people will end up on a bus and the TTC ppl on a ferryboat.

The boat routes won't change... and the boats load a heck of a lot slower then the monorails and travel a heck of a lot slower.. and there are less boats. I think a 'people will get there faster' is a fantasy. The boats are better if you get there right before they leave... or just are interested in a relaxing ride. Speed or efficiency has never been their strong point.

Admiral01

Premium Member
This is a good and much needed decision from management to resolve the problems with lack of maintenance on the monorail system. People staying at monorail resorts will still have access to the monorail the majority of the time. Making it seem like its not worth the extra price of a monorail resort because of those extra 3 hours once a week is ridiculous. Alternate transportation will be available and the boats A) go to the grand first(because I know it's going to be largely grand ppl complaining about this) B) won't have TTC people C) have only 2 stops instead of 4, therefore I would anticipate service for poly and gf people to be equally efficient if not faster. the CR people will end up on a bus and the TTC ppl on a ferryboat.

I don't praise management much for anything, but kudos to them for having the balls to stand up to the complaints(unwarranted IMO) that will come in and FIX OUR MONORAILS

This decision ONLY makes sence if TDO does indeed put the extra time and money into Monorail maintenance...which we will just have to wait and see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom