Monorail Teal now in service

s8film40

Original Poster
If anything, Blue should be made a darker blue...I've always thought it was a bit light.

Yes it should, the original colors were chosen so that they would all be as distinguishable from one another as possible. The lighter blue is more distinguishable from purple than a traditional darker blue. When Lime and Coral were added this is why the deltas were added so that they could easily be distinguished from pink or yellow respectively and with lime because of it's very light color the very dark purple deltas were used. The teal they used seems to be much closer to Blue than the coral or lime are to their closest colors. While it may not seem like that big of a deal the colors are how they are identified and tracked in the system. While the chances are very slim there is the possibility that somehow the misidentification of a train compounded by a few other mistakes could somehow lead to accidents. The irony of all this is that in Disney's decision to add a close color to Blue when more distinguishable colors were available has left the monorail system to a very small degree less safe than it was before.

Rob562

I think (and I'm guessing, based on the other train names) that another aspect of choosing a color is that the spoken name of the color needs to be a one- or two-syllable name for ease of radio communication. (None of the names of the current colors is more than two syllables.) So they have to be able to find a color that has both a unique hue and name.

Maybe they could have the new 12th one be a brick red and call it Monorail Brick...

-Rob

hpyhnt 1000

I think (and I'm guessing, based on the other train names) that another aspect of choosing a color is that the spoken name of the color needs to be a one- or two-syllable name for ease of radio communication. (None of the names of the current colors is more than two syllables.) So they have to be able to find a color that has both a unique hue and name.

Maybe they could have the new 12th one be a brick red and call it Monorail Brick...

-Rob

Nah. Teal as a color choice was fine; the exact shade of Teal they chose to use is the only thing thats a little bit off. But still, it looks fine. If they've made it this far with no incident between Pink and Coral, I think they'll be fine with Teal and Blue. :shrug:

s8film40

Original Poster
Perhaps when Blue is repainted they'll go back to the original, darker shade of blue to avoid any confusion.

It still is the original shade, they have always used the light blue shade since the Mark IV's in 1971. They also used the same shade at Disneyland since they also had a Monorail Purple.

Kadruk

i'll repeat it for you guys.. might have gotten lost in the thread... Teal looks less like Blue in person than in pictures

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
It still is the original shade, they have always used the light blue shade since the Mark IV's in 1971. They also used the same shade at Disneyland since they also had a Monorail Purple.

The original blue was a tad darker, not much, but it's not the exact same shade as the current blue. If you look at the picture that has all 10 of the original Mark IV monorails parked outside of the barn you'll notice it's slightly different.

Monorail_Red

Looks like they forgot the D's, but thats ok I wasn't expecting perfection. Maybe they'll fix it later.
Just like when they recently repainted Monorail Silver. But Monorail Yellow got them when it was repainted (after Silver) :shrug:

Looks good! I wonder if they fixed the Cab 1's delta, can't tell from that pic...Cab 1's already inside.

As far as the D's, hopefully they're still coming, and just temporarily forgotten.
They did fix the missing delta. And I hope Silver's D's are still coming...even though it's been over a year... :brick:

Agreed. Blue actually looks like blue now. I still think a bit more green is needed for the new color to truly be a "teal", but either way, it looks very nice. :)
From looking at the pics I don't know if I would call it "teal" but like was said it looks different in person. Still, I love the color choice. :D

Yeah! All 24 Walt Disney World Monorail trains earned and had their 'D's painted on once they were approved for Guest service, much in the spirit of the tradition of a pilot earning their wings once they're certified to fly.
Not trying to contradict you or anything...but what about Monorail Silver? Yellow was painted after Silver, and Yellow got it's D's painted on. It's been over a year and Silver is still missing them. But I'm sure there's things of higher priority than the little details that only people like us would notice... :)

43 days and counting until my next trip to WDW. Can't wait to see Teal in person. Looks like a great color. I can't wait to see what the 12th color will be, bringing the Monorail System back to it's full 12 train fleet.

s8film40

Original Poster
i'll repeat it for you guys.. might have gotten lost in the thread... Teal looks less like Blue in person than in pictures

I have seen it in person, the first time I saw it I thought it was blue until I saw the deltas. Now when the light hits it right you can see the green in the teal and it does look different.

The original blue was a tad darker, not much, but it's not the exact same shade as the current blue. If you look at the picture that has all 10 of the original Mark IV monorails parked outside of the barn you'll notice it's slightly different.

It really all depends on the photos you look at yes in some it may look darker but it is the same shade. I have heard though that after the collision of Red and Blue when parts of Red were used to complete Blue that when they painted over the red stripe with blue it was a little darker. Without consistent photographs with the same lighting and color it would be hard to verify that one way or another.

s8film40

Original Poster
Not trying to contradict you or anything...but what about Monorail Silver? Yellow was painted after Silver, and Yellow got it's D's painted on. It's been over a year and Silver is still missing them. But I'm sure there's things of higher priority than the little details that only people like us would notice... :)

I guess that means that Silver, Teal, and half of Black are not approved for guest service.:veryconfu

Really these are just the kind of details that Disney used to pay attention to that made their parks and resorts famous worldwide, they just don't care about that stuff anymore.

Monorail_Red

Maybe they just misplaced the stencil for the old Logo? or maybe they just plan on phasing it out completely.
Yellow was repainted recently (after Silver).

If they were planning on phasing out the D's then I don't see why they would put them on Monorail Yellow after the recent repaint.

s8film40

Original Poster
Maybe they figured if they can't do it right it would be better not to do it all.
4078701389_07fd900a58_o.jpg

What you can't see in this photo is the drip marks of the paint running down the sides of the D.

Mr.EPCOT

Not trying to contradict you or anything...but what about Monorail Silver? Yellow was painted after Silver, and Yellow got it's D's painted on. It's been over a year and Silver is still missing them.

I'm not talking about when they were repainted, I'm talking about when each of the twelve Mark IVs and each of the twelve Mark VIs were first brought into commission.

Main Street USA

Umm there was a photo posted a while back where you could clearly see that they did not stencil it out, I don't think anyone was wrong in noticing that glaring mistake, now does it really affect the end result? No, it just cost them more time and money. Yes the end result is nice but it of course is not perfect, the mistakes made on this train are minor when compared to others though. The stripe looks to be a consistent width unlike the original paint job on Purple and they seemed to have used the same stencil for all of the deltas unlike when they painted Coral. All in all it's not too bad considering their track record. Now would I find this paint application acceptable on my model/toy of the train, No, it's incomplete and inconsistent with the fleet without the D's. I guess I just have higher standards than Disney.
When you "mask" something out for painting on a surface such as a plane or a monorail, you paint over the masked area, then peel it off. Therefore, you have no idea if it was masked. That picture you speak of shows nothing that gives you any solid info. Period.

If they painted the white second, it doesn't take any longer than masking it to begin with, nor does it take more time or money. Unless, of course, you would've cut corners by not painting that part of the stripe and let the base color of the monorail show through, in which case you'd be doing the same type of thing you keep bashing them for, which is taking short cuts.

They did it right. Period. They did it right all along, whether some of you want to find something to complain about or not.

Monorail Teal looks nice. End of story.

Tom

Beta Return
Considering that it takes a lot more work to paint the delta on over the stripe than to just stencil it out in the first place, yeah that was pretty stupid. I don't think anyone was expecting perfection considering their track record of mistakes in painting the trains

It seems like a popular trend to call the WDW Maintenance workers (or perhaps 3rd party contractors) stupid for mistakes that may not even be mistakes...or may not have been their fault.

For all we know, it could have gone like this:

Executive VP of Monorails: "Hey, Monorail Painting Company, we gotta get this train back on the rails. It'll be in Bay 10 on Monday. Get over there and get the Teal stripe on it ASAP! Use the buckets of paint we set on the platform."
Monorail Painting Company: "Ok, Teal stripe, got it." [painting begins]
Monorail Maintenance Guy: "Oh my God! What are you doing? There are supposed to be white deltas on each car! Here, use this template I just cut out of cardboard."

I have seen it in person, the first time I saw it I thought it was blue until I saw the deltas. Now when the light hits it right you can see the green in the teal and it does look different.

We were staying at BLT right after Monorail "White" was reported to be going into the painting bay, so as I sat in our living room watching the trains go by, I saw Blue and about had a heart attack, thinking it was Teal. It really is pretty light, for Blue. But, they had good intentions when the color was picked.

s8film40

Original Poster
When you "mask" something out for painting on a surface such as a plane or a monorail, you paint over the masked area, then peel it off. Therefore, you have no idea if it was masked. That picture you speak of shows nothing that gives you any solid info. Period.

If they painted the white second, it doesn't take any longer than masking it to begin with, nor does it take more time or money. Unless, of course, you would've cut corners by not painting that part of the stripe and let the base color of the monorail show through, in which case you'd be doing the same type of thing you keep bashing them for, which is taking short cuts.

They did it right. Period. They did it right all along, whether some of you want to find something to complain about or not.

Monorail Teal looks nice. End of story.

I have seen the masking they use if it were on there in the photo you would see it, but regardless of their method they eventually achieved the end result of very decent deltas I agree. You say "They did it right" I guess your definition of right is just different than mine it should be consistent with the style of the fleet, yes I know the D's are a small detail but it's a pretty big part of the paint style to overlook.

It seems like a popular trend to call the WDW Maintenance workers (or perhaps 3rd party contractors) stupid for mistakes that may not even be mistakes...or may not have been their fault.

For all we know, it could have gone like this:

Executive VP of Monorails: "Hey, Monorail Painting Company, we gotta get this train back on the rails. It'll be in Bay 10 on Monday. Get over there and get the Teal stripe on it ASAP! Use the buckets of paint we set on the platform."
Monorail Painting Company: "Ok, Teal stripe, got it." [painting begins]
Monorail Maintenance Guy: "Oh my God! What are you doing? There are supposed to be white deltas on each car! Here, use this template I just cut out of cardboard."

We were staying at BLT right after Monorail "White" was reported to be going into the painting bay, so as I sat in our living room watching the trains go by, I saw Blue and about had a heart attack, thinking it was Teal. It really is pretty light, for Blue. But, they had good intentions when the color was picked.

Disney paints the monorails themselves perhaps if they found an outside company they would achieve better results. While your scenario might not be exactly accurate it demonstrates the root problem many departments not communicating with each other properly.

At least they used a template with the deltas on Teal that was not the case when they repainted coral, each delta has it's own unique shape.

s8film40

Original Poster
I just wanted to add that after getting a better look at Monorail Teal, I noticed the teal stripe is messed up on car 6. The stripe is higher on one side than it is on the other and in order for them to meet at the nose the stripe is crocked.

EPCOT Explorer

I just wanted to add that after getting a better look at Monorail Teal, I noticed the teal stripe is messed up on car 6. The stripe is higher on one side than it is on the other and in order for them to meet at the nose the stripe is crocked.

The whole thing, or just one side?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom