Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

bhg469

If you want to dine in the resort restaurants that you are not staying at without having a car then you should be prepared for long transfers and the possibility of having to take a taxi. I don't feel Disney should be required to provide transporation between the resorts.
Really?! I think it should be a very serious consideration to accommodate guests that venture to other reports for their overpriced dining.. They should be thankful people don't just go off site to eat.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hmmm,

I seem to recall writing a post on another thread about this shutdown and how TDO would do BUPKIS for guests who thought they would have monorail service. Guess TDO lived up to my low expectations. i.e. Guests paid for an amenity it would NOT be provided AND it's the guests fault for expecting Disney to do something to make up for lack of said amenity ie transport between resorts.

MonorailLover

My experiences last week:

Monorail red:
Doors would not close due to both attempting to close at same time....CM's come and it requires 3 to slam shut.

My thoughts at that moment: Please get me out of here.....even though I know nothing will happen, I'm just generally scared for my life.

10 Minutes later:

Get on monorail coral(salmon, whatever you want to call it):
Doors won't close on ALL cars, but finally work without any help by CM's....
Message on telecom, "hey disney visitors, were just going to pull out of the TTC and stop for a second for our crew to check something under the monorail, we will only be a minute and we will be off, again just pulling out and stopping for a bit, and we'll be off"

My thoughts: ok, from a minute to a bit, gonna be an hour, run disney guys next to me s#%ting themselves "we're going to die"

Leave TTC, 3rd car shakes, something seems off to me..... Stops for 5 minutes... Off to EPCOT, slowly.

Everything's good right, no more break downs??? NOPE

5 hours later, leaving Epcot.....

Monorail yellow(I think)

Telecom "had to remove monorail due to difficulties, and replaced with this one, need to move out of station and do checks to ensure this one also doesn't have problems....."

Doors don't close for 10 minutes, when they do, they won't close....... :(

Long story short, I think it's good that there doing something to fix the monorails, and I'm just happy I'm not going until august to DPR!!!

Also, aren't they implementing the trackers to improve safety systems? Does anyone know if it's going to be gps or track sensors, that might also be why the line physically is being closed, not just a few being removed from service every day...just my thoughts

MonorailLover

Just my fav pic of my favourite thing in the world....... Yet it's gross inside and the doors don't close, thanks monorail coral...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 100

KeithVH

Monorail red:
Doors would not close due to both attempting to close at same time....CM's come and it requires 3 to slam shut.

My thoughts at that moment: Please get me out of here.....even though I know nothing will happen, I'm just generally scared for my life.

10 Minutes later:

Message on telecom, "hey disney visitors, were just going to pull out of the TTC and stop for a second for our crew to check something under the monorail, we will only be a minute and we will be off, again just pulling out and stopping for a bit, and we'll be off"

My thoughts: ok, from a minute to a bit, gonna be an hour, run disney guys next to me s#%ting themselves "we're going to die"

Leave TTC, 3rd car shakes, something seems off to me..... Stops for 5 minutes... Off to EPCOT, slowly.

Monorail yellow(I think)

Telecom "had to remove monorail due to difficulties, and replaced with this one, need to move out of station and do checks to ensure this one also doesn't have problems....."

Long story short, I think it's good that there doing something to fix the monorails, and I'm just happy I'm not going until august to DPR!!!

Also, aren't they implementing the trackers to improve safety systems? Does anyone know if it's going to be gps or track sensors, that might also be why the line physically is being closed, not just a few being removed from service every day...just my thoughts

Was that Thursday? We're at Contemporary with a long line at the station and all of a sudden Red comes backwards into the hotel and my wife is like "did I imagine that?". Announcement is made that another unit can't close doors. Buses are on the way. Unknown when Red will leave, no idea. The CMs are clueless and have no info to give. We hop a bus direct to the Poly (!) and finally see Red roll in as we get there.

To me, the sad thing is that the CMs aren't being given the data needed to do their jobs and help guests as efficiently as possible. Especially since just about all of the guests have no idea what to do when the mono fails. Most of them were on the resort loop, at the CR, to go to the MK and didn't know it was a 5 minute walk away. And then wanted to treat the buses (with assigned routes) like personal taxis. What a mess.

MonorailLover

Was that Thursday? We're at Contemporary with a long line at the station and all of a sudden Red comes backwards into the hotel and my wife is like "did I imagine that?". Announcement is made that another unit can't close doors. Buses are on the way. Unknown when Red will leave, no idea. The CMs are clueless and have no info to give. We hop a bus direct to the Poly (!) and finally see Red roll in as we get there.

To me, the sad thing is that the CMs aren't being given the data needed to do their jobs and help guests as efficiently as possible. Especially since just about all of the guests have no idea what to do when the mono fails. Most of them were on the resort loop, at the CR, to go to the MK and didn't know it was a 5 minute walk away. And then wanted to treat the buses (with assigned routes) like personal taxis. What a mess.

To tell you the truth, it was the Saturday before, which makes it more of a mess....... /face palm disney, what have you done... Scrap red lol jk, as I said, and I now rest my case, it's good there refurbing them...

Yet I'm also mad because I purchased a limited edition monorail iPhone case when I was there and it's red....... Uhm, I would like a return please, maybe lime green....

Last edited:

MonorailLover

To tell you the truth, it was the Saturday before, which makes it more of a mess....... /face palm disney, what have you done... Scrap red lol jk, as I said, and I now rest my case, it's good there refurbing them...

I apologize for disney to the people going when there being refurbed, but remember, next time, the doors will close, and nothing will break under the cars...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It's going to be interesting to have the monorails down during the FP+ debacle that's currently taking place...I can see many "meltdowns" from guests happening

Admiral01

Premium Member
Proper guest service would be to pay for the taxi. I mean a Hampton Inn would probably do that

In Disney's defense, they have paid for taxis for me when I have dined at monorail resorts and missed the last monorail back to my car/resort.

The last time was during the cold January of 2010. We were hanging out at GF, having a drink or something, and we missed the last monorail. All we had to do was get back to our car at TTC, but it was below freezing outside, near midnight, and I really didn't want to walk. Without even questioning me they offered a taxi. It was really a great moment.

asianway

In Disney's defense, they have paid for taxis for me when I have dined at monorail resorts and missed the last monorail back to my car/resort.

The last time was during the cold January of 2010. We were hanging out at GF, having a drink or something, and we missed the last monorail. All we had to do was get back to our car at TTC, but it was below freezing outside, near midnight, and I really didn't want to walk. Without even questioning me they offered a taxi. It was really a great moment.
But they didn't in this case, and as you pointed out, it's certainly something they can do

MonorailLover

Monorail red:

10 Minutes later:

Monorail yellow(I think)

This lazyboy, not sure what was wrong under monorail coral, but it seemed there was something broken..... After we were stopped for them to look under the monorail, we slowly went to Epcot, probably at 1/2 speed, and stopped about three times.

lazyboy97o

This lazyboy, not sure what was wrong under monorail coral, but it seemed there was something broken..... After we were stopped for them to look under the monorail, we slowly went to Epcot, probably at 1/2 speed, and stopped about three times.
This closure may only temporarily address the issues you experienced. The larger maintenance culture has not been fixed and the monorails will more than likely head right back to their current state. Disney doesn't deserve praise for doing something they've tried to avoid.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

That was a different Disney, One that was not obsessed with picking up pennies while dollars fly over their heads.

Figment2005

This closure has nothing to do with the trains specifically, and everything to do with the beam and running cable that could not be buried. Watercraft is building a second full service ferry gangway and is slowly working on getting 2 more ferries into operation. Busses will be running to MK directly from the resorts but not sure if they will work as shuttles between resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom