Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

note2001

With all of the infrastructure work going on I wouldn't be surprised if new monorails were already ordered, or at least in very serious talks. Would people be aware if this had already happened?

The monorail system was built by Bombardier. Great quality trains and planes, but I doubt they discuss discounts. When they sell any type of a system it's intended to have a very long life before needing replacement. Sounds to me like it's time for each train to have an overhaul, not replacement, which I thought I had read elsewhere on these boards that Disney is in the process of, starting with experimenting on poor little teal.

Edit to add: how cool would it be if WDW could afford this:
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/automated-monorails.html

Last edited:

rob0519

With all of the infrastructure work going on I wouldn't be surprised if new monorails were already ordered, or at least in very serious talks. Would people be aware if this had already happened?

I would be shocked if new trains were even in the discussion stage. My comments were about a refurb for the interior cabins of the cars; ceilings, wall panels, interior door panels, interior trim, floor covering, seat covering, etc.

DManRightHere

If new trains were even a distant thought, I feel like we would know about it.

I guess wishful thinking then. With all the beam work that it could be prepareing for something. Someone said that these trains are much more likely to be overhauled than replaced though.

I hadn't really heard much of a lot of things until work was pretty much on top of it. Disney springs (parking garages), mainstreet bypass, hub expansion, new bus stops. This is why I say it wouldn't surprise me.

DManRightHere

I would be shocked if new trains were even in the discussion stage. My comments were about a refurb for the interior cabins of the cars; ceilings, wall panels, interior door panels, interior trim, floor covering, seat covering, etc.
Yeah, someone else said the monorails are built more to be overhauled than replaced. With all of this work disney is doing and expanding walkways, roads, and public transport; It just seems like they have some good plan for monorail. It is wishful thinking.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The monorail system was built by Bombardier. Great quality trains and planes, but I doubt they discuss discounts. When they sell any type of a system it's intended to have a very long life before needing replacement. Sounds to me like it's time for each train to have an overhaul, not replacement, which I thought I had read elsewhere on these boards that Disney is in the process of, starting with experimenting on poor little teal.

Edit to add: how cool would it be if WDW could afford this:
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-vehicles/automated-monorails.html

They can AFFORD them, They just will not BUY them, The profit from P&R goes into stock buybacks instead of being reinvested in the business.

note2001

They can AFFORD them, They just will not BUY them, The profit from P&R goes into stock buybacks instead of being reinvested in the business.

I never said Disney can or cannot afford new trains. That really is a tangent of speculation I will stay out of as no one here really has the facts regarding how Disney allocates funds to the parks/transportation/resorts/media/technology etc.

The fact is, Disney's trains are not that old. Well built trains can last and last and last. Bombardier does not pull a fast one on quality. Why should Disney plop down millions for new trains when all they need is a bit of attention? (meaning new seating, flooring, perhaps another layout redesign)

What I would like to see them do is a redesign on the nose cone to add protection for the driver and electronics. They are not supposed to play bumpercar with the trains, and yet incidents, although rare, are bound to occur.

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

they are just so damn light that they do not hit like two trucks... bumper to bumper, they hit like a delorean rear-ending a jeep cherokee... one rides up onto the other... not much to be done there, since each cab has a knuckle under it you cant lower the nose to a point where a bumper is feasable... now for impact with a tractor... an internal steel bumper might have protected the electronics, but not the fiberglas.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
they are just so damn light that they do not hit like two trucks... bumper to bumper, they hit like a delorean rear-ending a jeep cherokee... one rides up onto the other... not much to be done there, since each cab has a knuckle under it you cant lower the nose to a point where a bumper is feasable... now for impact with a tractor... an internal steel bumper might have protected the electronics, but not the fiberglas.

There should be bumpers to protect critical systems from impact damage, The fiberglas since it's not a structural component is expendable and should be easy to replace and TDO SHOULD have spares, If not well...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I never said Disney can or cannot afford new trains. That really is a tangent of speculation I will stay out of as no one here really has the facts regarding how Disney allocates funds to the parks/transportation/resorts/media/technology etc.

The fact is, Disney's trains are not that old. Well built trains can last and last and last. Bombardier does not pull a fast one on quality. Why should Disney plop down millions for new trains when all they need is a bit of attention? (meaning new seating, flooring, perhaps another layout redesign)

What I would like to see them do is a redesign on the nose cone to add protection for the driver and electronics. They are not supposed to play bumpercar with the trains, and yet incidents, although rare, are bound to occur.

Agree the monorails should be rebuilt, I'd even say it was worth a 6 month suspension of operation IF it meant that the monorails were going to be completely refitted with new interiors and freshly overhauled systems/motors
so that the monorails are ready for the next 20 years.

ToTBellHop

Indeed. Imagine if we were unwilling to ride in trains or planes built in the early 90s.

dstrawn9889

for identification purposes -
here take this https://www.dropbox.com/s/l84dm53g5vm11j4/transport.xls

transportationss_zps36387e40.png

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Sorry to bring back an older thread, but we will be in the world in less than 2 weeks, and we are wondering if the daytime monorail maintenance was still ongoing. We see that a few other websites still have it listed. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom