Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

surfsupdon

I'm not sure why anyone would rebook their hotel because of this. There are other reasons to stay at these 3 resorts other than monorail. Yes being able to walk a stroller onto the monorail is a massive draw for us but so is the proximity to MK where we will spend most of our time. At BLT we can walk which will be a first for us and I'm looking forward to that option.

I'm not sure why one would not rebook under those circumstances. The monorail IS the convenience when staying at a monorail Resort. Take that away and you're boarding busses (and boats) during 7 hours of the day. The monorail access adds a huge fee built into the room rate.

I guess for me it's a deal breaker, a monorail Resort without regular monorail service.

I would rebook Yacht Club if Stormalong Bay were completely closed.
I would rebook an All Star if the food court were completely closed.

In the case of the monorail and my above two hypotheticals (another Deluxe and a Value), the convenience factor is missing, so therefore the rate charged is not "worth it" for me as the paying Guest.

I agree that maintenance is needed, but I would much rather stay at a Resort that is closer to 100%, as a paid Guest.

CDavid

I'm not sure why one would not rebook under those circumstances. The monorail IS the convenience when staying at a monorail Resort. Take that away and you're boarding busses (and boats) during 7 hours of the day. The monorail access adds a huge fee built into the room rate.

I guess for me it's a deal breaker, a monorail Resort without regular monorail service.

I suppose I really don't understand this. If the monorail is a deal breaker for you personally that's fine - people make resort decisions based on less all the time - but every other amenity at those hotels remains unaffected. What's more, there is no other resort you can change to which has more monorail service. The service remains available in the mornings and evenings, while anywhere else, you have no monorail at all.

There is more to the monorail resorts than just the convenience of the monorail. They're hilariously overpriced, to be sure, and aren't really the "luxury" properties they are portrayed as, but they are three fine Disney resorts (and then there's Bay Lake Tower...).

surfsupdon

I suppose I really don't understand this. If the monorail is a deal breaker for you personally that's fine - people make resort decisions based on less all the time - but every other amenity at those hotels remains unaffected. What's more, there is no other resort you can change to which has more monorail service. The service remains available in the mornings and evenings, while anywhere else, you have no monorail at all.

There is more to the monorail resorts than just the convenience of the monorail. They're hilariously overpriced, to be sure, and aren't really the "luxury" properties they are portrayed as, but they are three fine Disney resorts (and then there's Bay Lake Tower...).
Yep, I agree.

I just cannot believe that Disney is springing this on January Guests 2-3 weeks away from their vacations. We've stayed at the Poly before and were always pumped "for the monorail!"

The 3 Resorts are very, very nice! Agreed. I would just be so bummed--and very annoyed--if my 400+/night room (or even 300/night) did not have with it convenient monorail service when convenient to me, the Guest. You know, in case I wanted to leave MK in the afternoon to relax at the Poly hot tub ;)

Guests can save room money by staying at other bus/boat Resorts (instead of a monorail) and use that saved money towards other dinners or activities.

Anyone know if a mailing went out explaining the change to future Guests?? I remember getting mailings for pool closures at Yacht, Beach, BoardWalk, and even for a quiet pool at Caribbean Beach that wasn't even "my" village pool.

hpyhnt 1000

This is the first I'm hearing about it. Not surprised though that this site would break news before they told their guests.

I'm not sure why anyone would rebook their hotel because of this. There are other reasons to stay at these 3 resorts other than monorail. Yes being able to walk a stroller onto the monorail is a massive draw for us but so is the proximity to MK where we will spend most of our time. At BLT we can walk which will be a first for us and I'm looking forward to that option.

We just called and paid for our vacation over the phone yesterday! For feb 1-7 two room at the contemporary tower! They did not even mention it!

Yep, I agree.

I just cannot believe that Disney is springing this on January Guests 2-3 weeks away from their vacations. We've stayed at the Poly before and were always pumped "for the monorail!"

The 3 Resorts are very, very nice! Agreed. I would just be so bummed--and very annoyed--if my 400+/night room (or even 300/night) did not have with it convenient monorail service when convenient to me, the Guest. You know, in case I wanted to leave MK in the afternoon to relax at the Poly hot tub ;)

Guests can save room money by staying at other bus/boat Resorts (instead of a monorail) and use that saved money towards other dinners or activities.

Anyone know if a mailing went out explaining the change to future Guests?? I remember getting mailings for pool closures at Yacht, Beach, BoardWalk, and even for a quiet pool at Caribbean Beach that wasn't even "my" village pool.

Thats the part that I think is most annoying about all this. No one is begrudging Disney for taking time to give the monorail system maintenance - goodness knows it needs it and hopefully the trains receive a good cleaning and sprucing up. But announcing this with barely a month to go, along with not giving affected guests advance warning while they are making their reservation, strikes me as a rather shady business practice. Its not outright "wrong", and Disney is certainly not obligated to tell anyone, but it isn't exactly kosher either.

And I think it just reinforces the view that Disney looks at its fan base and guests with a certain level of contempt and/or indifference. From the LoW cancelation via Twitter to the PR gobbledygook on the Parks Blog to the vapid press events and meaningless yearly promotions, its disappointing that no one at Disney seems interested in having a more honest exchange with its customer base.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thats the part that I think is most annoying about all this. No one is begrudging Disney for taking time to give the monorail system maintenance - goodness knows it needs it and hopefully the trains receive a good cleaning and sprucing up. But announcing this with barely a month to go, along with not giving affected guests advance warning while they are making their reservation, strikes me as a rather shady business practice. Its not outright "wrong", and Disney is certainly not obligated to tell anyone, but it isn't exactly kosher either.

And I think it just reinforces the view that Disney looks at its fan base and guests with a certain level of contempt and/or indifference. From the LoW cancelation via Twitter to the PR gobbledygook on the Parks Blog to the vapid press events and meaningless yearly promotions, its disappointing that no one at Disney seems interested in having a more honest exchange with its customer base.

The simple fact is TWDC management considers it's customers RUBES who are 'Too Stupid' to go to a higher class of resort and they gleefully think up new ways to strip them of their money rather than ensuring all guests have the best vacation possible.

The fact that this is a totally unrealistic view - One of the biggest Disney fans I know is a Senior Faculty member/department head and has a few endowed chairs at a university in Cambridge that everyone has heard of met him while I was in academia(now in the dreaded private sector) at the OTHER university across the Charles which everyone has heard of as well. Yes there is the 'Honey Boo Boo' demographic but it takes all types to make a world and they deserve the best that Disney can provide as well.

The difference is Walt, the Nine Old Men and Eisner all loved the parks and respected the guests, Current TWDC management hates the parks and mocks the guests.

rct247

Maintenance... They can't cannibalize much more of the fleet. 11:30am and 7pm seem to dip into some peak hours of the day too. I'd think noon to 5pm would be better.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Last edited:

Scuttle

I get the feeling Disney don't want people walking that route, hence the lack of progress on that walkway. The new bus stops at the Magic Kingdom will take up the extra load when the monorails are not in operation.

Agreed, That's the only logical conclusion because this should have happened 20 years ago.

Maybe they don't want people that close to the canal that leads to backstage areas?

Scuttle

I do have to say it seems GK and company are really changing things around O-Town. We won't know for a few more years, well at least the maintenance issues, but I am actually becoming more and more optimistic about the future (maintenance).

MaryJaneP

I do have to say it seems GK and company are really changing things around O-Town. We won't know for a few more years, well at least the maintenance issues, but I am actually becoming more and more optimistic about the future (maintenance).

Really? Optimistic? Anyone else fear that this is just the first step into a new H2 show "WDW after Monorail"? Imagine less footers (meaning zero footers)? Imagine the beam and pillars being hauled away? As David Byrne would say, "same as it ever was".

CDavid

Wouldn't that require taking a boat from MK to FW or WL (Green route) and then taking a boat from there to the Contemporary (Blue route)? I don't ever remember there being a direct boat from MK to Contemporary and don't see it on that link. Am I missing something?

Unless they have added a route or are doing so for the duration of the monorail work, there is no direct MK to Contemporary route.

Vipor51

Wouldn't that require taking a boat from MK to FW or WL (Green route) and then taking a boat from there to the Contemporary (Blue route)? I don't ever remember there being a direct boat from MK to Contemporary and don't see it on that link. Am I missing something?

This would be good to know for my trip on January 25th.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yep that is correct - it is indirect but possible.

rudyjr13

BLT isn't that overpriced when you rent DVC points...

I remember something like this happening a year or two ago and they were down maybe half the time they said they would be so wait and see how bad it is. I"m sure we will run into a moment where we wish we could get back to BLT on monorail rather than walk or boat but as someone else said, there are many more reasons we are staying there rather than going to Beach or Boardwalk.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Quick Question, Did they ever fully fix the damage down to the Monorail Line near the Grand Floridian during the Great Freeze a few years ago?

psukardi

This is a bit of a disappointment. One of the perks of staying at the GF is the monorail to the parks. However, if this was something that's frustrating you - your other option (if you don't have small kids that you have to carry) would be to stay at maybe the Beach or the Yacht. Then you're walking distance to Epcot & MGM and at a nice resort. Sure, it's probably too cold to use the really nice pool - but you have the Boardwalk right there which is nice

Vipor51

So is the only real way to go direct to MK from BLT will be to walk during the down time? That seems a little over the top to me to require kiddos to walk or ride that far especially in potentially bad weather.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So is the only real way to go direct to MK from BLT will be to walk during the down time? That seems a little over the top to me to require kiddos to walk or ride that far especially in potentially bad weather.
There will be a bus service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom