Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

JohnD

So, you don't know. Why bother stating anything, you clearly don't know the answer to my question. This is a simple question - will they be adding resort-to-resort transportation. Not additional busses and watercraft -- but NEW ROUTES.

And you think any of us know the answer to your specific question? They don't have resort to resort transportation now in general. But the monorails will be down and they are putting additional vehicles into service for "resort transportation", whatever that means. Perhaps it will include resort to resort in this particular instance. I really don't know. But if you really must know, and it is that important to you then I suggest you call WDW.

ptaylor

Premium Member
No because this is trackwork, it's not train rehabilitation. The system is max capacity and the trains are at least 22 years old.

They don't have the capability to take one train out of service for a month and rehabilitated. They just can't do that because of operational needs.
They have managed to take trains out for a month to install movie wraps though. I think if they had a desire to do it, they could. They also managed when the two crash monorails were out of service for months.

orky8

And you think any of us know the answer to your specific question? They don't have resort to resort transportation now in general. But the monorails will be down and they are putting additional vehicles into service for "resort transportation", whatever that means. Perhaps it will include resort to resort in this particular instance. I really don't know. But if you really must know, and it is that important to you then I suggset you call WDW.

So, your first 3 responses were condescending regarding my reading comprehension, and now you admit that putting additional vehicles into service is ambiguous (which is why I asked my question in the first place). It's not really important, but I was curious if anyone knew. Instead, you chime in with repeatedly snarky remarks that served no purpose.

JohnD

So, your first 3 responses were condescending regarding my reading comprehension, and now you admit that putting additional vehicles into service is ambiguous (which is why I asked my question in the first place). It's not really important, but I was curious if anyone knew. Instead, you chime in with repeatedly snarky remarks that served no purpose.

You seem overly sensitive. I was referring you to the article and I had thought you missed that. Further you asked if buses would go to the TTC. I would say it's a good bet that they would either go there or direct to MK instead. Either way, if you're at the Contemporary, for example, to get to the Poly or GF, either stay on the bus or transfer. Technicallly, that wouldn't be a resort-resort because it would have TTC or MK in -between. Would the trip be longer than taking the monorail? Sure, but that's what happens with downtime. The bottom line is this: additional transportation will be provided.

orky8

You seem overly sensitive. I was referring you to the article and I had thought you missed that. Further you asked if buses would go to the TTC. I would say it's a good bet that they would either go there or direct to MK instead. Either way, if you're at the Contemporary, for example, to get to the Poly or GF, either stay on the bus or transfer. Technicallly, that wouldn't be a resort-resort because it would have TTC or MK in -between. Would the trip be longer than taking the monorail? Sure, but that's what happens with downtime. The bottom line is this: additional transportation will be provided.

Another useless post. But you and I have derailed this thread enough. I was looking for someone with actual knowledge/experience. I can speculate on my own about what Disney will do with regard to "additional transportation." I was wondering if anyone knew what they would do, or what they have done in the past, to address the fact that the resort monorail is often used for people going from one resort to another for dinner. My guess is they will run a resort bus loop. Does anyone know if they do a resort boat loop under these circumstances?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Another useless post. But you and I have derailed this thread enough. I was looking for someone with actual knowledge/experience. I can speculate on my own about what Disney will do with regard to "additional transportation." I was wondering if anyone knew what they would do, or what they have done in the past, to address the fact that the resort monorail is often used for people going from one resort to another for dinner. My guess is they will run a resort bus loop. Does anyone know if they do a resort boat loop under these circumstances?
You could get on one of the cruiser boats. Routes at http://m.wdwmagic.com/transportation/cruiser-boats.htm

JohnD

Good talking with you. I hope you have an enjoyable rest of your day.

Slowjack

No because this is trackwork, it's not train rehabilitation. The system is max capacity and the trains are at least 22 years old.

They don't have the capability to take one train out of service for a month and rehabilitated. They just can't do that because of operational needs.
If they don't have enough trains to allow them to properly maintain the interiors, then they need to purchase more trains. Or just cut to the chase and replace all the trains. To be honest, though, I'm confident they could refurb the interiors on a car-by-car basis on third shift. I once saw a show on Discovery once where a crew repaved an airport runway in sections during a small window each night. If that is possible, then so is a clean monorail.

Vipor51

Does anyone have a website that describes the different Beams? I am staying at Bay Lake Tower on January 25th and was wondering if this will effect us?

Thanks for the help.

NormC

Does anyone have a website that describes the different Beams? I am staying at Bay Lake Tower on January 25th and was wondering if this will effect us?

Thanks for the help.
BLT/Contemporary uses the resort loop. It travels in a clockwise circle from Contemporary to TTC to Poly to GF to MK to Contemporary. The MK express passes through the Contemp but does not stop.

PrincessNelly_NJ

True, but no cruiser boat connects CR with GF/POLY. I suspect they won't, but it seems they should add a boat route between those three resorts (maybe even add in WL) when the monorail is down for maintenance like this.
True. But I've have taken a bus from CSR to MK then hopped on a boat to the GF/Poly so it should be no issue for guest at the CR to walk or bus to MK then boat on over. It really is easy and relaxing!

PhotoDave219

They have managed to take trains out for a month to install movie wraps though. I think if they had a desire to do it, they could. They also managed when the two crash monorails were out of service for months.

Operations were severely impacted following that fatal accident.

Don't forget someone died during that while you kvetch about the interior of the trains.

CDavid

If they don't have enough trains to allow them to properly maintain the interiors, then they need to purchase more trains. Or just cut to the chase and replace all the trains. To be honest, though, I'm confident they could refurb the interiors on a car-by-car basis on third shift. I once saw a show on Discovery once where a crew repaved an airport runway in sections during a small window each night. If that is possible, then so is a clean monorail.

There should be enough monorail trains available to be able to have at least one out of service for maintenance and one more reserved as back-up (in the event a train breaks down mid-day). What happens, I'd imagine, given the monorails mechanical condition is they (too often) have two or more trains out of service for unscheduled repairs, meaning they can't pull a train for needed routine maintenance or cosmetic work (interiors, etc.). The challenge many overnight shifts may well be just keeping the minimum number of monorails serviceable for the next day, let alone doing any 'regular' maintenance. But that is at least partially just a staffing and budget issue; Get more personnel and equipment, and get the job done properly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom