Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

surfsupdon

If I had a trip booked at Polynesian, Grand Flo, or Contemporary during that time frame, I would immediately change Resorts.

The high prices for those Resorts are directly related to the convenience of the monorail. Without that monorail running regularly, I'd bail and sleep elsewhere.

Not complaining about the maintenence, but would expect a Disney Resort discount to stay there during excessive monorail downtown.

Nubs70

If they don't have enough trains to allow them to properly maintain the interiors, then they need to purchase more trains. Or just cut to the chase and replace all the trains. To be honest, though, I'm confident they could refurb the interiors on a car-by-car basis on third shift. I once saw a show on Discovery once where a crew repaved an airport runway in sections during a small window each night. If that is possible, then so is a clean monorail.
No real need to buy additional train for maintenance purposes, capacity maybe. If maintenance is properly planned, staffed and executed, overnight hours would be sufficient.

rudyjr13

If I had a trip booked at Polynesian, Grand Flo, or Contemporary during that time frame, I would immediately change Resorts.

The high prices for those Resorts are directly related to the convenience of the monorail. Without that monorail running regularly, I'd bail and sleep elsewhere.

Not complaining about the maintenence, but would expect a Disney Resort discount to stay there during excessive monorail downtown.

BLT in Feb
Still closer than the Epcot Deluxes. I can walk my 2 toddlers or just take the monorail before 11 and after 7. Slight inconvenience if we come back for naps but we will deal. They need maintenance.

willtravel

Wait, I am confused. Wasn't there a thread once saying that the monorail was going to run less hours (I thought at night) so more maintenance can be done to monorails? Or am I mistaken?

surfsupdon

BLT in Feb
Still closer than the Epcot Deluxes. I can walk my 2 toddlers or just take the monorail before 11 and after 7. Slight inconvenience if we come back for naps but we will deal. They need maintenance.

They do need maintenance. Glad it is being done.

Enjoy your trip. Too bad the beam will not be fully functioning. I need my "Resort time" in the afternoons too, but would expect to use the monorail when staying at and paying for a MK Monorail Resort. Glad it's not a deal breaker for you...BLT does look impressive!

hpyhnt 1000

While there are other reasons that "justify" the rather exorbitant prices of the MK resorts, direct monorail access is certainly a major part of the equation. I do wonder if any notice was given to guests booking during this time period, or if its all part of the "subject to change without notice" fine print. I think it would be rather disingenuous to not provide some warning of this kind of disruption - certainly more than one month's notice like this.

BLT in Feb

If I may ask, was there a notice about this upcoming maintenance when you booked, or is this the first you're hearing about it?

Nubs70

.....perhaps the work will generate noise that will be annoying to the Deluxe resort guests.

.....perhaps the work is not the type that can be done safely at night.

.....perhaps it costs more to mobilize night-work construction crews ....yup ...THAT'S IT!!!
Beam work at night would make for a great deal of noise and a large amount of construction lighting which would make for a less than MAGICal nighttime experience. There is no other reason other than the WDW PPMP maintenance protocol for lack of monorail maintenance.

PhotoDave219

If they don't have enough trains to allow them to properly maintain the interiors, then they need to purchase more trains. Or just cut to the chase and replace all the trains. To be honest, though, I'm confident they could refurb the interiors on a car-by-car basis on third shift. I once saw a show on Discovery once where a crew repaved an airport runway in sections during a small window each night. If that is possible, then so is a clean monorail.

That's very simplistic. How do you accomplish that in the context of profitability and targeted bonuses?

You want to spend the hundred million on a brand-new train. Where do you want to put it? You would need another round house or somewhere else to maintain it. Plus, you've got billed time. If you ordered a brand-new train now when you come online for at least 6 to 9 months.

I think it's nowhere near as simple of an answer as just "new trains"… because we could just to simply say "better guests" who dont vandalize or mistreat the interiors of the monorails.

You are stuck with the status quo until you can either one, find a way to increase revenue off of the monorail or two, you can write the depreciation value off on taxes.

Slowjack

That's very simplistic. How do you accomplish that in the context of profitability and targeted bonuses?

You want to spend the hundred million on a brand-new train. Where do you want to put it? You would need another round house or somewhere else to maintain it. Plus, you've got billed time. If you ordered a brand-new train now when you come online for at least 6 to 9 months.

I think it's nowhere near as simple of an answer as just "new trains"… because we could just to simply say "better guests" who dont vandalize or mistreat the interiors of the monorails.

You are stuck with the status quo until you can either one, find a way to increase revenue off of the monorail or two, you can write the depreciation value off on taxes.
In the context of targeted bonuses? Oh come on, I'm supposed to make my suggestions based on the details of compensation contracts? Look, I wasn't seriously suggesting they buy new trains just to get them clean. It's just that I don't see any need to make excuses for Disney when it comes to keeping WDW in excellent shape. The resort as a whole is fabulously successful. If they want to keep the monorails looking good, they could. You may call that simple, but sometimes it is that simple. It's a choice, and they have chosen to do otherwise. When you say they have to increase train revenue or depreciate, you're accepting their terms and I don't do that. Absolutely, if you decide that every part of the park has to be independently accounted for instead of putting the money together and just trying to provide an excellent guest experience, then yes, by golly, it does limit what they can do. So what? To account things that way is a choice they have made. They can't complain their hands are tied when they are the ones who have tied them.

PhotoDave219

In the context of targeted bonuses? Oh come on, I'm supposed to make my suggestions based on the details of compensation contracts? Look, I wasn't seriously suggesting they buy new trains just to get them clean. It's just that I don't see any need to make excuses for Disney when it comes to keeping WDW in excellent shape. The resort as a whole is fabulously successful. If they want to keep the monorails looking good, they could. You may call that simple, but sometimes it is that simple. It's a choice, and they have chosen to do otherwise. When you say they have to increase train revenue or depreciate, you're accepting their terms and I don't do that. Absolutely, if you decide that every part of the park has to be independently accounted for instead of putting the money together and just trying to provide an excellent guest experience, then yes, by golly, it does limit what they can do. So what? To account things that way is a choice they have made. They can't complain their hands are tied when they are the ones who have tied them.

Yes… You get to make your suggestions within the current confines and restrictions of the Disney management structure.

If you're going to play the "what if" game then you have to be given the same restrictions and handicaps current management has..

If you're upset about those restrictions, then you should pay more attention when we discussed corporate accountability and CEO compensation… because yes, it's all tied together. Just think? The amount of money we paid to Bob Iger this could've bought at least two or three new trains…

Soarin' Over Pgh

This, exactly.

As much as the monorails need work, if I were booked at a deluxe resort without a deluxe accommodation for transportation to TTC and MK I would switch resorts. The difference in price for having the convenience to use the monorail from you hotel versus having bus only transport is enough to move reservations to a cheaper hotel that has bus only service to begin with. Save yourself easily $400 a night.

The monorail convenience was half the reason we stayed at the Polynesian last May, for our "once in a lifetime" trip. And with the way things are looking and prices rising, it certainly will be once in a lifetime.

rudyjr13

If I may ask, was there a notice about this upcoming maintenance when you booked, or is this the first you're hearing about it?

This is the first I'm hearing about it. Not surprised though that this site would break news before they told their guests.

I'm not sure why anyone would rebook their hotel because of this. There are other reasons to stay at these 3 resorts other than monorail. Yes being able to walk a stroller onto the monorail is a massive draw for us but so is the proximity to MK where we will spend most of our time. At BLT we can walk which will be a first for us and I'm looking forward to that option.

montyz81

No because this is trackwork, it's not train rehabilitation. The system is max capacity and the trains are at least 22 years old.

They don't have the capability to take one train out of service for a month and rehabilitated. They just can't do that because of operational needs.
A train was out of service for two years to rebuild its nose. During off seasons they can easily get by with 10 trains. Especially now that there are buses direct to each resort.

Vipor51

Does anyone know in the past if they have added a watercraft route from CR to MK? We just have small kids and strollers to accomodate and pending weather the walk to BLT may be wet. Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom