News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

msg7

Found this pic on Twitter. Really shows how Disney maintains the monorail...

EDIT: As Bender123 did point out, this is usually the result of strollers getting caught. Still a very annoying/common issue on the monorails that repeatedly happens.

Last edited:

Bender123

How many times did a stroller or wheelchair get caught on that? Its one thing to point out declining issues (damaged exterior "accordion" sections, damaged paint, mold, etc...). During the day, this type of damage is expected from the guests rough use. The true test is if that damage remains tomorrow.

s8film40

EDIT: As Bender123 did point out, this is usually the result of strollers getting caught. Still a very annoying/common issue on the monorails that repeatedly happens.

That’s been an ongoing issue for many many years. Those panels really need a better latching mechanism. It’s not really too much a safety issue other than the fact that someone could mess with the maintenance controls in there to open and close the doors.

crxbrett

On my last visit this past summer, a kid managed to pull off a panel on the ceiling and a bunch of cables and wires dropped down. The mom scolded the kid and then they tried to snap it back in place with zero luck. I am not saying that it happened due to maintenance or insinuating the cabins are falling apart. But one has to wonder if that would have ever happened over 10 years ago when the trains were not as old and maintenance might have been more thorough or diligent.

I didn't see the kid actually pulling on the panel, so it's possible he was being a destructive brat and using all his might to tear it off.

Figment2005

On my last visit this past summer, a kid managed to pull off a panel on the ceiling and a bunch of cables and wires dropped down. The mom scolded the kid and then they tried to snap it back in place with zero luck. I am not saying that it happened due to maintenance or insinuating the cabins are falling apart. But one has to wonder if that would have ever happened over 10 years ago when the trains were not as old and maintenance might have been more thorough or diligent.

I didn't see the kid actually pulling on the panel, so it's possible he was being a destructive brat and using all his might to tear it off.
The panel he pulled leads to the escape hatch. They have the cables so they don't fall all the way off, and need to be put back in place by maintenance.

crxbrett

The panel he pulled leads to the escape hatch. They have the cables so they don't fall all the way off, and need to be put back in place by maintenance.

That makes more sense as to why he was able to do it easily then. It was the only time I have ever seen that while riding, though. Probably happens a lot I guess.

DryCreek

Almost like riding in a UH-1 Huey helicopter with the doors open and strapped in, going low over the treeline!​
Cue 'Flight of the Valkiries'...

Man, if they only let us pivot a "Ma Deuce" from the door!
Of course, someone would probably complain about all of the brass raining down on them. Always a complainer around.........

jbolen2

I wonder what the talk is about this situation from the higher ups? There had to be a meeting of some type about the options on the monorail going forward short/long term with this last incident.

Stripes

I wonder what the talk is about this situation from the higher ups? There had to be a meeting of some type about the options on the monorail going forward short/long term with this last incident.
We can only hope...but given they had the same band-aid response in 2009, I'm not holding my breath.

the.dreamfinder

IF Disney finally breaks down and orders 12 INNOVIA 300 class monorails from Bombardier, what Design changes do you think they will make to the trains aside from the obvious continuation of livery.

Also, how do you folks feel about this?
37455AC1-68BF-4320-92C8-4220D223F907.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom