News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
My RCT gameplayer's brain just says to R.I.P. the monorails and install a continuous circuit station to station LIM coaster.

The logistics aren't fleshed out but the idea is there. Seems like a good starting point considering the costs of a coaster vs monorail. My fear is that the monorail will be phased out over time. It looks inevitable. The Gondolas hint at that. Sad but true unless Disney can dump some serious coin into a monorail rebirth. I still think a good chunk of that budget could be saved if they went with a powered coaster, with a classic "monorail" like vehicle. I'm probably over simplifying things though. I just don't see Disney adopting a NEW monorail at this point.

Last edited:

s8film40

Lowering the beams would probably save a little (less concrete for a start) but the cost seems to be more in the precision and the material quality. Again though, we have no real world figures. We're all basing it off some sketchy numbers from some very old sources, which all seem to be listed as estimates. We could be way off. My theory is that the costs is more an issue when you're building either a totally new system (i.e R&D/Planning costs) or when you're working in someone elses back yard (like Vegas) and have to pay for all sorts of access, bits of land, etc. I'm pretty confident (and have absolutely nothing to back it up) that the beams would cost a fraction of what they cost back in the 70s and 80s. The design is used all over the world now so the R&D site of it is covered.

Disneys biggest problem will be the same one they had with the MK loop - logistics of getting the beams delivered, or cost of building their own facility. If they locked in a proper expansion it'd make sense to build them on site (and do a better job than they did last time).
The sad reality is the money they put into the MyMagic+ program could have funded a full expansion, new trains and updating of the existing system. They put a comparable amount of money into the new São Paulo Bombardier system consisting of it's 17 miles of track, 18 station and 54 seven car trains. I think most guests given the option of having a plastic wristband and being required to reserve rides three months out or having fast convenient transportation would easily choose the latter.

drizgirl

The sad reality is the money they put into the MyMagic+ program could have funded a full expansion, new trains and updating of the existing system. They put a comparable amount of money into the new São Paulo Bombardier system consisting of it's 17 miles of track, 18 station and 54 seven car trains. I think most guests given the option of having a plastic wristband and being required to reserve rides three months out or having fast convenient transportation would easily choose the latter.
No joke!

Myth Maker

Agreed... Honestly the solutions are all in the Tokyo monorail system. Walk through cars for more capacity and easier to have an attendant to clean. Better egress with exit doors on each side. Overall a much better system.

Cons: not as good in the looks department, maybe that could be improved.

If I had a choice of a modern monorail system that goes from WDW / Epcot / Epcot Resort Loop / Hollywood Studios and even further vs My Magic+... I would choose the monorail any day.

s8film40

Agreed... Honestly the solutions are all in the Tokyo monorail system. Walk through cars for more capacity and easier to have an attendant to clean. Better egress with exit doors on each side. Overall a much better system.

If I had a choice of a modern monorail system that goes from WDW / Epcot / Epcot Resort Loop / Hollywood Studios and even further vs My Magic+... I would choose the monorail any day.
The Bombardier Innovia 300 checks off your pros and looks much nicer.

peter11435

The problem with walk through cars is the size of the trains.

GCTales

What is the brand / model of the monorail system at Disney Tokyo?

1516201163667.png

1516201223441.png

1516201261076.png

s8film40

msg7

If they did decide to replace the monorails, would anyone else be sad if the exterior design, the "Please Stand Clear of the Doors" announcement, and "ding dong" sound changed or am I the only one? I feel like both of these are so iconic and help "Make the Magic."

Last edited:

ABQ

If they did decide to replace the monorails, would anyone else be sad if the exterior design and the announcements changed or am I the only one? I feel like both of these are so iconic and help "Make the Magic."
The announcements have changed often. Or do you mean just the "Please stand clear of the doors, Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas" announcement?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they did decide to replace the monorails, would anyone else be sad if the exterior design and the announcements changed or am I the only one? I feel like both of these are so iconic and help "Make the Magic."

You're confusing 'iconic' with 'nostalgic.'

I appreciate a sleek design, but the monorail's design is derivative of the 50s and retro futurism. You can see it often whenever that vibe is sought.

msg7

The announcements have changed often. Or do you mean just the "Please stand clear of the doors, Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas" announcement?
Just "Please stand clear of the doors, Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas." Sorry for the confusion.

You're confusing 'iconic' with 'nostalgic.'
I appreciate a sleek design, but the monorail's design is derivative of the 50s and retro futurism. You can see it often whenever that vibe is sought.
You have a decent point. I was trying to say that I wouldn't be a fan if they changed it to a "Disneyland-like" futuristic design. I enjoy the current retro future style paint job.

Incomudro

I'd be sad about the exterior.
I'd want Disney to graft their own nose onto one of those trains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom