News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So one site -- Screamscape of all places -- posts something that they clearly identify as a rumor, attributed to a single unnamed source, that states Disney is considering closing the Epcot monorail line. Official, on-the-record Disney sources immediately and emphatically state that the report is completely false and that there are no plans to discontinue the monorail. Not even The Site That Shall Not Be Named has jumped on this particular rumor. And yet several news sources are now running with the headline that Disney may discontinue the monorail.

Is this really what our news reporting has come to?
Yes.

What is even more sad is there is a non-zero number of readers that will lap this up and take it as 100% fact.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even into the mid 80s, the plan was to expand the monorail all the way to what is now Springs. Have you ever noticed how insanely odd the Epcot station is? Its because it was supposed to be a station with expansion for more lines. The problem of why it just is "there" is because it was the link between the MK and the rest of the property. Weve all seen the old model pictures...

View attachment 255967

Ironically, the Epcot station is designed how it is just for the Epcot line. The LBV route would have left the tear drop. The station wouldn’t have been expanded for it.

A later proposal had another station built to the east of the current one.

CJR

I agree that Disney spokespeople are not the most reliable, but I'd trust them way more than those who are running a rumor that's pretty far fetched IMO. A new fleet is expensive, sure, but it's not like Disney couldn't afford it. They did get new monorails in California, which has a much lower need for a monorail system and, if anything, gets in the way of potential projects.

I can't picture the Contemporary without a monorail. It was specifically designed for the feature. It also would seem dumb to build an expensive hotel by Epcot and then take away one of the features that its guests would love the most.

crxbrett

The newest reports are, which the lady who shot the video had mentioned a few days ago, that the Monorail's door would not latch at the TTC. Maintenance was then called and spent 10 minutes, according to the lady who shot the video, trying to get it closed. They eventually got it to lock - or so they thought. The Monorail left the TTC with the door 'closed' but when the Monorail hit the first curve, the door according to the woman, then popped open.

-

flynnibus

Premium Member
The newest reports are, which the lady who shot the video had mentioned a few days ago, that the Monorail's door would not latch at the TTC. Maintenance was then called and spent 10 minutes, according to the lady who shot the video, trying to get it closed. They eventually got it to lock - or so they thought. The Monorail left the TTC with the door 'closed' but when the Monorail hit the first curve, the door according to the woman, then popped open.

-

This is not 'newest reports' this is information known from the first day.

crxbrett

This is not 'newest reports' this is information known from the first day.

Yes, I mentioned the story a few days ago as well. But it sounds like some are questioning the story now? Or are they jsut questioning the rumor of the Monorail closing? We've got two or three things going on at once now. lol

I have seen a few different stories with different quotes from the woman, though. Some were more detailed than others.

This thread got buried with so much stuff I think many didn't know the details.

crxbrett

I just realized people are saying the Monorail story is a rumor. I thought people were claiming the lady's story was bogus.

Sorry, I was completely confused on what was going on and didn't read all the posts from the last page or so before I posted.

-

Bender123

Ironically, the Epcot station is designed how it is just for the Epcot line. The LBV route would have left the tear drop. The station wouldn’t have been expanded for it.

A later proposal had another station built to the east of the current one.

Was it just my imagination or did the monorail originally run the opposite way during epcots construction? I was about 3 when I rode it for and for some reason I recalled in my childhood them saying that the monorail plans were for another spur there.

I know the spur existed in theory, but that clears up alot. That's a long time for my brain to mix up the memory of what was said. For some reason I recalled that...I must have been talking to a bus driver...

Incomudro

I agree that Disney spokespeople are not the most reliable, but I'd trust them way more than those who are running a rumor that's pretty far fetched IMO. A new fleet is expensive, sure, but it's not like Disney couldn't afford it. They did get new monorails in California, which has a much lower need for a monorail system and, if anything, gets in the way of potential projects.

I can't picture the Contemporary without a monorail. It was specifically designed for the feature. It also would seem dumb to build an expensive hotel by Epcot and then take away one of the features that its guests would love the most.
The Contemporary without a monorail.:in pain::arghh:
Please no.

jakeman

There's quite a significant difference between discontinuing a talking trashcan and shuttering a major mode of transportation that links two theme parks, three resort hotels and the Ticket & Transportation Centre.
I don't care to look, but there is also a high probability that what was describe with PUSH didn't happen that way.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've been saying this will happen in our lifetimes for years and I was called a crank. I don't think this "is it" but we are getting close

Especially with the margin pressure TDO is under now and the monorail probably costs north of 100 million per year to operate.

The TDO manager who figures out how to shut down the monorail is going to be able to retire on their bonus payment.

The Monorail is dead it just does not know it yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom