News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's bull and you know it. Elevators are inspected on a regular basis - the certificate of operation is mounted in the car. If that emergency button wasn't working, the elevator would be taken out of service until the problem was fixed. They work, trust me, I've used them.

You really need to stop spreading misinformation about things you obviously have little knowledge of.

Yeah the certificate in my office building elevator expired november 2014 called the state and state said they MIGHT get out to inspect it this year but no promises because of backlog.

Go to boston look at the certificates on elevators you'll find about half are expired at least a year.

Why is this the case, simply a shortage of inspectors

So once again your knowledge of reality is defective.

Next Big Thing

Just throwing it out there that the mess of a monorail known as the Las Vegas Monorail is actually getting EXPANDED by 1.1 miles with the Oakland Raiders moving to the city. That monorail receives a substantially lower daily ridership, which results in less stress, yet they are still willing to expand with a lot of the money being private money.

There's no reason why Disney shouldn't order a new fleet. These monorails have been beat to death for close to 30 years and if you are going to charge premium prices and then offer premium add-on experiences, the least they could do is provide new, safe, efficient, WORKING monorails.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yeah the certificate in my office building elevator expired november 2014 called the state and state said they MIGHT get out to inspect it this year but no promises because of backlog.

Go to boston look at the certificates on elevators you'll find about half are expired at least a year.

This is true. I work in the city, and have seen expired certificates in some elevators. It's not all of them everywhere, of course, but enough that I have noticed--and for a number of years now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just throwing it out there that the mess of a monorail known as the Las Vegas Monorail is actually getting EXPANDED by 1.1 miles with the Oakland Raiders moving to the city. That monorail receives a substantially lower daily ridership, which results in less stress, yet they are still willing to expand with a lot of the money being private money.
Wow... that's gonna suck. Here we have light rail at the stadium.... and that holds way way way more people, and runs more trains... and leaving the game is still worse than Disneyland Main Street after the fireworks. Like 30mins and a wall of people for a hundred yards. Can't imagine the monorail being effective at all in their setup

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

There's no reason why Disney shouldn't order a new fleet. These monorails have been beat to death for close to 30 years and if you are going to charge premium prices and then offer premium add-on experiences, the least they could do is provide new, safe, efficient, WORKING monorails.
Would you be willing to pay $25.50 per person to ride the WDW monorail for 3 days?

jbolen2

Would you be willing to pay $25.50 per person to ride the WDW monorail for 3 days?

This could go so many ways. If they didn’t charge extra for a monorail resort i could see more of a justification to paying for a pass to ride it daily or for the entire stay. If they did charge for it I could see this adding even more load on the ferry from people not wanting to pay just to go from parking to the mk.

dizneeboy

Mickey parachutes!!

Next will be a new safety spiel at each resort stop. "In the case of an open door emergency, your seat cushion may be used as a both a parachute and floating device"

On a serious note, the MK resort monorail line seemed even slower that usual last weekend overall. Lots and lots of waiting (in lines and while sitting on the train). The morning of the marathon it took 1 hr to go from the grand floridian to epcot for the start of the race. crazy. Another site has an article about how they are hearing that the EPCOT monorail line will close and never open again which will be the beginning of the end of the monorail in WDW. I hope that never happens but it does seem like some investment is needed badly...and soon.

SorcererMC

If you are referring to OSHA inspectors, this is accurate.

When I was looking up oversight authorities for WDW I came across news articles re: workplace safety and fatalities, with transportation incidents being the most common fatal event. The AFL-CIO Safety/ Health Inspection Director alleges that there are ~800 OSHA inspectors; (California alone has 100+). I don't believe that the Dept of Labor releases the actual numbers of inspectors, but there are numerous occupational safety articles over the past year (and in the past week) that attest to the current state. I truly hope that Disney is giving this event the attention it deserves for safety/risk purposes (eg tweaking their driver training, eg updating their emergency signage to communicate clearly what guests should do in the event of an emergency), not just liability/ negligence.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
With the new subway trains coming in 2020... They replace subway trains more often than WDW monorails. For example, The R160 was put into service in 2008 and in 2020 we are getting brand new R211 subway cars which cost $1.56 million USD per car. But yet... WDW's monorail system hasn't got a new fleet for over 25+ years.

How many billions of dollars of debt does the MTA carry? Private companies can't operate like that.

ppete1975

Nah, they wouldn't do that, or at least not for this reason. If they were going to get rid of it, they probably would do it because of this, this is their oppurtunity. And plus, if they did, it would probably be for greedy money purposes, and removing the monorails wouldn't benefit them in terms of money, since they would have to remove all the monorail tracks, which would cost a lot of money, and they wouldn'r be able to charge certain hotels more money because of the monorails.
have you seen the people mover in California? the hotel monorail loop is a great point. I have been worried about the monorails for awhile, since they are a maintenance cost and will prob cost a lot more soon. I wish instead of gondolas they would have just extended the route. But the gondolas are prob cheaper.

larandtra

While I do think there will be changes, likely closing the Epcot Line ( Remember the new "resort being built..What if there were not a monorail station in the way). Screamscape isnt the most reliable site for information. Id wait to hear something from people who generally have knowledge.

GrumpyFan

Sounds reasonable, based on what we've seen from WDW management.
If so, I would expect to see them run seasonal or only during peak times (opening/closing times).

Not to start another thread, or change the discussion, but I have to wonder if a different kind of rail system would be more advantageous and less costly than the monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom