Monorail Expansion?

plpeters70

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
What's out of place? I can't think of anything that is extremely out of the way.

I would say that everything in the MGM/EPCOT area of the property is pretty much "out-of-place". All they did was plunk down a bunch of resorts around that road that connects MGM and Downtown Disney. They basically created a strip mall of resorts, theme parks, water parks and shopping districts. And the traffic in that area at night shows just how poorly that whole area was designed.

Compare that to the magical atmosphere of the original part of the property - the Magic Kingdom resorts. I don't think anyone here would argue what a magical experience it is to watch Cinderella's Castle slowly get closer from the monorail or ferry boats. Or the magic of the "oohs and awws" as the monorail passes into the Contemporary Resort. That whole area is just magical - and it's thanks to the amazing design.

You get none of this at the other parks - except maybe EPCOT. At least at EPCOT, the MK hotel guests are treated to a monorail ride around Future World -- not to mention how magical it is to see the monorails glide quietly around Future World from EPCOT.

At the other parks and resorts, all you get is an approach by bus - from any ordinary street. Not quite as magical as parking your car at the TTC and making your way to the MK by monorail and boat. Sure, it's not as efficent - but it really makes for a great show. People are just to impatient.

I think I now agree with Fantasia Boi though, as laid out today, WDW is just two much of a mess for monorails to handle all of the traffic flow. It's just to bad they expanded so quickly without spending to build up the transportation infrastructure so that it wouldn't have to be all buses today. They really should have addressed the problem when they originally built MGM (which really should have been elsewhere) and all those resorts and Typhoon Lagoon. Now it's probably to late.

plpeters70

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
So do you see what I am saying? Expanding the monorail would create a logistical NIGHTMARE.

Sorry, you posted this while I was busy typing another reply. I do see your point, and I did point that out in my previous post. As WDW is built today, there is no way that the monorails could handle all of the guest traffic. I get it.

What I was saying, is that they shouldn't have designed the MGM, resorts, water parks, and AK expansions as they did. If they had sat down and really thought about transportation BEFORE building all this mess, they could have designed a system that would have handled guest flow better. Maybe not all monorails, but there certainly could have been more, as well as boats, buses, and PeopleMovers. It's just a shame that they expanded so quickly without giving enough thought to infrastructure at WDW - as they so obviously did with the original part of the property. Do you see my point??

disneybabes

Account Suspended
In the morning, you have all the guests going to the parks. If you've stayed at Caribbean Beach, you KNOW what I'm talking about. The bus is practically full by the time it gets to your stop. Often times, it can't make all the stops. So what happens? They send out another bus to handle the rest. FLEXIBILITY is the key.

Why not have color coded and numbered monorails, not unlike subways in major cities? Right now the monorail system essentially has 3-5 trains doing the exact same run. If the track were longer, more trains could be placed on the tracks and guests wouldn't just board any old train that comes to the station. They'd wait for "The #4 Train" that will take them to the Magic Kingdom or "The #8 Train" that stops at a certain resort. Sure, this would be confusing, but somehow major cities have got this system down.

I think when it's all said and done, Disney will come through with something so amazing, yet so basic, that we'll all be hitting ourselves over the head for not thinking of it first! :hammer:

disneybabes

Account Suspended
Originally posted by plpeters70
As WDW is built today, there is no way that the monorails could handle all of the guest traffic. I get it.

What I was saying, is that they shouldn't have designed the MGM, resorts, water parks, and AK expansions as they did. If they had sat down and really thought about transportation BEFORE building all this mess, they could have designed a system that would have handled guest flow better. Maybe not all monorails, but there certainly could have been more, as well as boats, buses, and PeopleMovers. It's just a shame that they expanded so quickly without giving enough thought to infrastructure at WDW - as they so obviously did with the original part of the property. Do you see my point??
If there's anyone on this planet that plans ahead - it's Disney. Sure, there's some stuff that no one could have planned on, but expansion and overcrowding? I KNOW Disney planned for this. They saw it in Disneyland, so why would they think guest traffic would remain steady throughout the years at WDW? In fact, Walt himself designed most of the roadways around the WDW property, including the freeways entering the property. And furthermore, this past year saw the completion of Walt Disney's "PHASE FIVE" of the freeway system entering the WDW property. He personally designed the "off property" freeway system, and designed it in stages so there wouldn't be a massive five lane freeway handling miniscule traffic. When the park expanded and when guest traffic increased, the city would expand the roadways. So if Walt had planned this far ahead into the future, how could have the Company *not* planned for increased guest traffic past Walt's "phase five"?

To think Disney designed parks, roadways, and resorts with no regard to future traffic patterns and increased guest activity, is a little hard to swallow.

Invero

Originally posted by Poncho1973
The buses are MUCH more expensive to repair/service than the Monorail. The road system that was meant to last 10+ years between pavings is only lasting 3-4 years tops largely because of bus traffic. Millions and millions of dollars would be saved each year just on those issues alone.

Ummm... and just where did you get all this information?

First off, I can assure you... monorail operation and maintenance is FAAAAAAR greater than a bus.

Even with all of Disney's "extra" maintenance for busses... washing and detailing every night, waxing every week, nightly maintenance checks, it's far less than the monorails.

Also, take into consideration... the majority of our fleet is the RTS bus. The RTS is virtually undisputed in the transit industry and the worlds most solid, durable, and reliable transit bus. In production for 25 years, the RTS sold more units than any other bus. In addition, over its lifespan, it has a lower maintenance cost than other transit busses. Parts are cheap for the busses... mass produced...

For the monorail... let me give you an example... the Master Controller Unit... (basically, the stick that the driver uses to control the train...)... $10,000. Why is it that expensive? Each one had to be custom made. And now... the company that did it (and that holds the copyright legal stuff for it) went under, and so when they break... they have to be sent out for repair at $3,000 a pop. Pretty much everything in those trains is proprietary... and expensive. Monorail Shop is currently trying to change that... and replace/upgrade things with more off the shelf solid state parts... which, still expensive, are at least more commonly found.

As for the roads... it's not just Disney busses travelling on them. In fact, we're a minority. Outside busses, taxis, and guest cars mostly are the ones that travel. The busses actually decrease traffic on the roads. Each bus you see could represent up to 35 cars. Take the busses off... and you still have thousands and thousands of cars.

WDWFREAK53

Tyler, maybe you can help me out here...but can Monorails "change" rails? I know they must be able to because of the maintenance garage but is it possible for the monorail to just go from doing one route to another? Like have a Magic Kingdom monorail on the same track as an MGM monorail. (I know this would make it more prone to accidents) Is it possible for the monorail to change tracks somewhat like a regular train?

Invero

I think I now agree with Fantasia Boi though, as laid out today, WDW is just two much of a mess for monorails to handle all of the traffic flow. It's just to bad they expanded so quickly without spending to build up the transportation infrastructure so that it wouldn't have to be all buses today. They really should have addressed the problem when they originally built MGM (which really should have been elsewhere) and all those resorts and Typhoon Lagoon. Now it's probably to late.

No... it's NOT about location... It's about Guest Traffic Flow... Period. It doesn't matter where the Disney/MGM Studios was placed. It doesn't matter that the resorts were all nestled in one convenient area.

What DOES matter... is that you've got thousands of people who all want to go to different places, and you have to get them there in a reasonable amount of time. It's all about the amounts of people, not where they are.

JLW11Hi

In regards to monorails changing tracks, I have actually thought about that before! I used to think that monorails could do that before, but then I found out that they were just on a bunch of different tracks.

It would probably be hard, since the monorails kinda surround the entire track on the sides and don't just stand on top of it like trains do. An entire piece of track would have to be able to move side to side to make it possible to change tracks. I don't know much about this stuff, but I am guessing that would be hard, and mabey expensive, to do. I once drew a picture of a way monorails could change tracks, using a device kinda like those big wheel thingies that trains use. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I think the MK has one of them, where they put the trains away for maintinance.
Anyway, the monorail would go on a piece of track, then the whole piece would spin one way or another to fix itself on to another track.. THis is very far fetched, because monorails are so big and there could be much easier ways to do this. I just though tit was cool.

I think that although monorails may be more of a hassle than busses, that doesn't mean they still aren't a great mode of transportation. I think the monorail lnes they have now are just fine. I am guessing that originally, the monorail was just for going around the lagoon. It makes sence, because with the hotels and the MK all around the lagoon and in a relatively small area, the monorail's circular pattern fits right in there. If they were to expand the monorail, mabey it would be smarter just to link the parks, and nothing else. I don't know. :veryconfu You guys seem to know the most about it! :)

Invero

Originally posted by disneybabes
Why not have color coded and numbered monorails, not unlike subways in major cities? Right now the monorail system essentially has 3-5 trains doing the exact same run. If the track were longer, more trains could be placed on the tracks and guests wouldn't just board any old train that comes to the station. They'd wait for "The #4 Train" that will take them to the Magic Kingdom or "The #8 Train" that stops at a certain resort. Sure, this would be confusing, but somehow major cities have got this system down.

Trust me... it wouldn't work. As it stands right now... I will pull into a resort with my bus... with a big bright orange destination sign that reads MAGIC KINGDOM... and I'll get people coming up to me and asking, "Do you go to Downtown Disney??" Sometimes people will even board my bus, and then when they get to MK, be like, "is Epcot your next stop?"

With monorails... too many times people would get on the Express Monorail trying to go to the Contemporary, and then complain when the driver didn't stop. (Despite both signs, and audio messages)

Disney Transportation systems need to be as SIMPLE as possible. Add even the slightest bit of complexity, and you will BAFFLE people.

no2apprentice

I started thinking about any potential savings of monorail over maintenance/upkeep of buses, and...

Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that an expanded monorail system saved 5 million dollars a year in bus maintenance and personnel cost. If the expanded monorail costs 1 billion dollars, like Tyler estimated, it would take 200 years before the savings paid for the monorail expansion.

Don't like the numbers? Okay, let's say the expansion saves 10 million dollars a year, and the expansion only costs 500 million (HALF of Tyler's estimate). It would still take 50 years to see any savings pay for the expansion.

Of course, I just used these numbers as an example. I openly admit I have no clue as to what the budget for bus maintenance and support personnel is. If anyone knows, please post some numbers.

And, as Tyler pointed out, monorails sound like they have very expensive parts. Increase the number, and that's even more cost to offset any potential savings.

WDWFREAK53

I wouldn't care about the resorts as much as I would the parks...Just link all 4 parks with a plan for the fifth park...Forget the airport, forget the resorts...if the lines for the additional 2-3 parks can hit a resort or 2 along the way, GREAT!

Invero

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
Tyler, maybe you can help me out here...but can Monorails "change" rails? I know they must be able to because of the maintenance garage but is it possible for the monorail to just go from doing one route to another? Like have a Magic Kingdom monorail on the same track as an MGM monorail. (I know this would make it more prone to accidents) Is it possible for the monorail to change tracks somewhat like a regular train?

It is a common myth that Monorails cannot switch tracks. However, it is very well possible. Here at Disney we have two types of switch beams. Pivot types, and Beam Replacement types.

The pivot type is located between the MK and Contemporary. It pivots over from the Express beam to the Spur line...

Or... it will pivot from the Express to the Center Connector. The Resort beam will then also pivot to the Center Connector. Thus, creating connection.

This switch is VERY time consuming, and the train can only go through at 1-3mph.

The other type of switch is the Beam Replacement switch. This can be found at the TTC on the Express side. This beam connects Express with the Epcot Spur line, which then connects to the Epcot main line. Basically, you have two beams. A straight one, and a curved one. and the beam just slides over to fit whatever track it's going to.

These switches allow for the train to smoothly run over at 15-20mph. In VERY rare situations, guests have been allowed to ride over these switches.

*HOWEVER* Disney's switching proceedures require COLD switches. Which means... power must be killed, switch slowly moved, power restored. The entire process for a beam replacement switch is about 7-10 minutes. Approximate time for a Pivot switch... 7-17 minutes, depending on how far it needs to go.

As for being prone to accidents... no... it wouldn't be prone to accidents... just back ups and traffic jams.

Invero

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I wouldn't care about the resorts as much as I would the parks...Just link all 4 parks with a plan for the fifth park...Forget the airport, forget the resorts...if the lines for the additional 2-3 parks can hit a resort or 2 along the way, GREAT!

The problem with that... is that they don't have the guest traffic need. Those runs have very little demand in comparison to the resorts. If Disney were to create a "solution" anything, it would take care of the problem areas...

MrPromey

Don't you think that's being a little naive - of course MONEY has something to do with it. I guarantee you that if it had been cheaper to run monorails everywhere on property than to have buses, then I'm sure that Managment would have built monorails - and damn guest flow patterns. It all comes down to money eventually. But I do see your point about the logistics of such a system.

Have you ever been to a restaurant and gotten such bad service or had such bad food that you thought to yourself "I'll never go there again!"? If people were paying to stay on Disney property and use Disney transportation and it took them an hour or more to get to their park of choice because of Disney's "advanced" transportation system, they might start looking into those hotels on 192 that cost about half as much and can get you there in about a half an hour on one of their busses? While cost can and usually does become one of the ultimate decisions in anything Disney does, if they decide that the system wouldn't work the way they need it to, cost isn't a factor because they never get that far. Nobody looks into costs for a plan that they have already decided wouldn't work, do they?

I see your point. But isn't it really sad how lazy and stupid people can be. No wonder mass transit has never really taken off in this country - people are to impatient to be bothered with transfering trains and such - they just want to go from point A to point B with no stops in between. Still, I would imagine that with a really well thought out system of monorails, boats and peoplemovers (and maybe even a few buses), Disney could find a way to keep transfers to a minimum from each hotel. I don't think it would be to much to ask to make people transfer trains twice to get somewhere -- more than that and your asking for trouble. But if people can learn to navigate around large cities with subways, then they can surely figure out how to get from the Carribean Beach to the Magic Kingdom on a well thought out WDW Transportation System.

At least that way buses would become the less pervasive on property. I don't mind a few to some places, but for WDW to be totally dependent on buses is just sad.

Stupid? Hmm... Well, I have seen some very good arguments from people that seem to know a lot more on this subject than you and you still continue to argue your side with full understanding that you know less about it than the ones you are arguing with. I don't think I'd go so far as to call that stupid but it might be something you want to think about. You seem to want to get rid of busses come hell or high watter just because you don't like them which is fine but you not liking them is not much of an argument in this discussion. Technology for the sake of technology is a waste of money. Sometimes that sacrifice alone is acceptable when you are going for the "wow" factor but once that technology starts to hinder operations and make things work less well, someone has to ask if it's really worth it? Is it worth extra delays, standing in hot sweaty crowds as the parks empty to wait for flashy transportation that doesn't work the way Disney needs it to?.. Keep in mind that Disney is dealing with people from all over the world who are speaking as many different languages as are spoken in the world today, English and Spanish are great if you are from the US but not everyone knows those two languages well enough to deal with complex instructions... On an even deeper level, while it's true that people manage to figure out mass transportation systems in big cities, in most cases, they also have months or years to do so and they use these systems out of necessity. I find it highly unlikely that most people on vacation want to put this much thought into transportation once they get to WDW and I can't blame them. If I wasn't relatively local and didn't already know my way around, I wouldn't want to waste my precious vacation time trying to figure it all out either..... The bus system - like the courtesy trams - can be expanded and contracted as needed. When a park closes, they can have three busses for each resort lined up and ready to go....

You also talk about the Disney magic and how it's broken with the extensive use of the busses. If they were to attach all the resorts to monorails or lightrails or any kind of a fixed system, they would have to lay track and/or lines all over property. The monorails as they are, look cool. They are fun to watch and don't take away from the property, even as they go through a resort like the Grand Floridian but if they had cement beams or track everywhere (like they would have to in order to link up all resorts) wouldn't that sort of remind you of the less than appealing look of an urban city? Isn't that part of what a lot of people are taking a vacation from? Do you think such a look would be an improvement over the bus system which you want to get rid of for the same reason?..

Also, speaking of cost. We are talking about technology. Solar power is expensive, it's currently about 35% more costly than conventional means and while that will change over time, as with all of the other alternative fuel systems suggested here, some of it's biggest costs come from the initial investment and Disney as well as any other company, is going to be hesitant to jump in first - especially at the pace that technology is expanding these days. Nobody likes to go out and spend hundreds of millions on version 1.0 only to have version 2.0 come out a year or so later at a cost of 25% less with greater efficiency and more benefits. - Disney was the big innovator with FastPass and if you take a look over in the Universal area of this forum, you'll see a bunch of people talking about how much better Universal's system (a couple of years behind Disney's) is... In comparison of the busses and the monorails (or any new technology) busses will be much cheaper in terms of maintenance because there is a competitive market for parts which keeps those costs much lower than they would be for a custom or uncommon system. It's also a lot easier and cheaper to find technicians and mechanics that can do maintenance and run diagnostics on busses.

As for the environment, how do you think the monorails are powered? Do you think that electricity comes from the sky? Most electricity in the US still comes from fossil fuel power plants so unless the monorail system uses extremely low amounts of power to operate, it's not that much (if at all) more environmentally friendly than the busses - you just aren't seeing the whole picture when you ride them.

One last word on the whole efficiency thing - When a monorail train (or any train on any track) breaks down the entire line goes down till that one weak link is removed. When a bus breaks down they can replace it with another one immediately and it doesn't stop any of the other busses in it's system from operating. The entire monorail system could be taken out by a problem with three trains while every single bus Disney has would have to go down for them to have a similar problem with their bus system... You say that for them to be totally dependant on busses is sad. Why? Because you don't like them? What would be sad would be for them to be totally dependent on a system that dosn't work which seems to be what you would like to see.

plpeters70

Originally posted by MrPromey

Stupid? Hmm... Well, I have seen some very good arguments from people that seem to know a lot more on this subject than you and you still continue to argue your side with full understanding that you know less about it than the ones you are arguing with.

Excuse me MrPromey - you know what I think is stupid? Relpying to a post I made days ago without bothering to read what I wrote later - like where I said that FantasiaBoi has convinced me that monorails are not the best way to go as WDW now stands. Maybe you should try reading the whole thread before being so nasty.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Maybe Walt's interest in trains played a role in the decision to use monorails at first. They seem to have been placed during the decline of railway traffic. That's not very forward thinking necessarily. Since then, semi-trucks have become dominant over trains for their flexibility and efficiency in terms of networking across the interstate. With Walt and his interests gone, WDW seems to have followed the national trend. ( I know we're talking about people and not freight, but the same sort of logic seems to apply.)

Maybe Walt was thinking about the latest and greatest in train technology, rather than the latest and greatest in transportation.

This has been a very interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading it a lot.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I don't think the concept of a purely park to park monorail system should be dismissed too quickly. While it is certainly not an answer to a very complex transportation issue, it would keep the romance of the monorail alive.

A nice park to park system would take some of the pressure off the busses and help distribute guests more evenly around the parks preventing some of the build-up that sometimes occurs at certain parks for special events. It could also serve as a first step in a more comprehensive transportation plan.

It would obviously be expensive and the benefit part of the cost/benefit equation would have to include the benefit of satisfying the types of passionate people who post on this board. I think there is unquestionable value there that won't show up on the bottom line of a spreadsheet.

We have seen over the past few days that Monorail simply can't absorb all of Disney Worlds transportation needs, but it still can be a small, highly visible component.

no2apprentice

Great point, Herbie53! In fact, we've all have been overlooking that the monorail was originally used at Disneyland, starting in 1959. One could almost say that if they expanded the monorail system at WDW, they would be expanding out-dated technology.:D

(Just kidding, monorail fans...please don't throw old controller sticks at me).

GaryT977

Disney Transportation systems need to be as SIMPLE as possible. Add even the slightest bit of complexity, and you will BAFFLE people.

I understand the desire to make everyone happy, but to me there's nothing worse then trying to make things work to the lowest common denominator.

As much as I enjoy Disney every time I'm there, I find things that could bother me if I let them. There's no way to make everyone happy all the time, and there's no way to dumb things down so much that everyone will understand it.

The problem with with planning things that way is that it becomes an excuse not to try new things, for fear they are too complicated for the masses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom