Modifications to the Jungle Cruise

bgraham34

I would love to see Timon and Pumbaa on the JC, but the cruise the way it is makes me happy so no changes work in any case for myself.

dhcalva

Turn JC into 'Timon and Pumba's Jungle Adventure' and put a more realistic JC over in AKL with real animals, like Walt originaly wanted. :eek:

Slowjack

Why is it that so many of you folks set out to make tie-in attractions come across as a new practice at the company?

Disney STILL creates quite a few non-tie-in attractions (Everest being a perfect example). Therefore, I disagree with the thought of Disney moving away from realistic non-tie-in attractions.

Remember: Walt originally created Disneyland to have tie-ins to his movies and TV shows (Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Davy Crockett, the True-Life Adventures, etc.). Having completely original ideas going into the parks with non-film characters is just extra icing on the cake.

Besides, film-based attractions give guests a rare opportunity to step into worlds that they can only read about or see from afar at home and become a part of those adventures.

So, please look at this as a good thing for once.
I don't think anyone is claiming that tie-ins are a new idea. I read the same posts as you and I can't see anyone making that claim.

But surely you must agree that the number of attractions with tie-ins has increased dramatically over the past decade or so. When I was young, the Magic Kingdom confined most tie-ins, if not quite all, to Fantasyland. Epcot opened with no references to existing Disney characters. Now look at how many attraction locations have characters now...Tiki Room, Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, Laugh Floor, Pirates... and that's just MK.

Also I would disagree that Disney thought that original attractions would just be icing on the cake. Remember that his dream for Disneyland came out of the frustration of there being no place where he and his girls could have fun together. I think the inclusion of the Disney film characters in many of the original Disneyland rides was as much a way of selling Disneyland to Disney film fans as it was selling Disney characters to Disneyland visitors, if you see what I mean.

Finally, when you say that "film-based attractions give guests a rare opportunity to step into worlds that they can only read about," I just don't know what you mean. For example, the current Jungle Cruise certainly captured my imagination as a kid, as it has for millions of children over the years, and it did allow me to step into another world. I don't need Pumbaa and Timon for that. Are you saying that people have more magical journeys when accompanied by copyrighted and exploitable character properties?

DisneyNut2007

I'm still not thrilled at how they changed the whole thrust of the atrraction from just general looting and plundering to the "let's get Jack" plotline they use now.

I don't think they changed the thrust of the attraction at all. They're still after the treasure and still do general plundering and looting. They just have one extra goal to pursue.

But the fact remains that the pirates are really after the treasure and not Jack. They just want to use him to get to the treasure, but the treasure remains their main goal instead of Jack.

Sounds like you're not as open to change as I hoped you would be...

Slowjack

Well, EE, Mission:Space, Soarin are a few new ones that come to mind. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Disney is actually striking a good balance in this regard.
Actually, Mission:Space was a tie-in to Mission to Mars, the 2000 film with Gary Sinise, the host of Mission:Space. It's just the film didn't do well enough to play up the connection (much like how Dinosaur was originally Countdown to Extinction).

Also, note that they used Patrick Warburton for the narrator in Soarin', fresh from his voice work as Kronk in "Emperor's New Groove." Not a complete tie-in, I admit.

It seems clear that the percentage of attractions that have tie-ins is increasing, although we have no yet reached the point where all new attractions are tied in.

DisneyNut2007

Are you saying that people have more magical journeys when accompanied by copyrighted and exploitable character properties?

No, I am not saying that.

Joining familiar characters on their adventures is just a MAJOR part of the Disney theme park experience. Always has been, always will be.

Each attraction captures peoples' imaginations in different ways. The tie-in attractions allow guests to take part in the adventures of already-familiar characters (Snow White, Peter Pan, Pooh, Brer Rabbit, etc.) while the non-tie-in attractions do their own job of immersing guests in unique and wonderful fantasies and exciting adventures (seeing pirates pillage a village, visiting a haunted house, cruising around a child's version of the world, watching musical bears put on a show, etc.).

Tie-in and non-tie-in attractions are created equal and should be treated equal.

bassman

what are the ew scenes in DL's JC?

anyone got any pic or links to vids on youtube i can watch.

i like the idea of realistic warthog and meercat AA's and having the skippers make various jokes relating to the lion king,that would work well.

i too think that the cave needs something interestic to happen in it,its just a boring ride throgh a dark tunnel at the moment.
uit almost doesnt go with the rest of the ride,i love JC but the cave/temple bit just seems pointless to me,i only like the "shirleys temple" joke.

darthjohnny

Many rumors seem to point to the idea that the Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain are to follow the Haunted Mansion on the list of long-needed Magic Kingdom refurbishments. MAJOR refurbishments.

So I'm interested to know, what creative ideas for new or imaginative Jungle Cruise scenes can we come up with? To be honest, the animatronics are tired, the humor is old, and the attraction itself is not what it used to be. With the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie, what could be done to the ride in a Refurb?

I'd like to see a scene prominently featuring a spectacular tiger audio-animatronic jumping at the boat in the cave. I feel the entire cave could use a bit more action in terms of scale. Right now, the boat basically rides past openings in the cave featuring animals. How cool would an entire large-scale tiger animatronic be with life-like movement???

I think the ride is what it used to be. They're not supposed to be the most advanced animatronics in the world, and the humor is supposed to be corny and tired jokes.

But I've heard rumors of a Timon and Pumbaa preshow in the line, and they might add the scenes they added in Disneyland. I think one was a "piranha attack."

darthjohnny

The thing I hate is that disney seems to be getting away from the realistic non tie in rides. Can they do one ride without having disney cartoon characters or movie tie ins? try to keep atleast the jungle Cruise tie in free.

Actually, the Jungle Cruise was a Disney "tie-in."

It was meant to promote Disney's True Life Adventures wildlife television series.

Epcotian

Actually, Mission:Space was a tie-in to Mission to Mars, the 2000 film with Gary Sinise, the host of Mission:Space. It's just the film didn't do well enough to play up the connection (much like how Dinosaur was originally Countdown to Extinction).

Also, note that they used Patrick Warburton for the narrator in Soarin', fresh from his voice work as Kronk in "Emperor's New Groove." Not a complete tie-in, I admit.

It seems clear that the percentage of attractions that have tie-ins is increasing, although we have no yet reached the point where all new attractions are tied in.

I'll concede Mission:Space, although I'd guess 99% of attendees would never make the connection. The Soarin link is a bit of a stretch though. Patrick Warburton is all over the place in the Disney universe, and that's nothing new (ie-Rick Moranis in the 90's, Robin Williams seemingly forever). That doesn't make Soarin a tie-in at all though (unless we're using an extremely loose definition of the word). But, I'd concede a Disney trend toward using popular face talent (Rashad on Dinosaur, rumored Martin Short in Canada, Hans & Frans among others in the old Cranium Command, etc).

But the larger picture I think is that Disney believes park attendees expect tie-ins, and question when they're not there. I don't know if people actually do that or not, but I believe that's the perception they are working with.

WDWFigment

Let's not forget how they based The Country Bear Jamboree on the popular 2002 film, The Country Bears. People seldom pick up on that tie in. :lookaroun

dave2822

A "tie-in," to me, is an attraction with a highly popular, well known Disney movie or show-related element that was added after the fact. Those such attractions are (feel free to add if I miss something major):

Tiki Room: would have been extinct without it
Pirates: More popular now, and doesn't change the ride experience
Dinosaur: Doesn't change ride experience whatsoever
Stitch: :lookaroun
The Seas w/ Nemo: Iffy, because it's a whole new ride, but I'll give it to you, and TLS is much more popular because of it
Gran Fiesta

Just some of the rides built in the past 10-15 years based entirely on some other piece of Disney or non-Disney story, NOT a tie-in IMO:

Splash, ToT, Muppets, Philharmagic, FotLK, Pooh, MILF, Nemo Show, Buzz, TSM ...

Just some newer "unique" rides:
TT, M:S, Soarin, EE, KS, RnRC, etc etc

That's how I differentiate, and it seems balanced to me.

darthjohnny

Mission: Space does have some tie ins with Mission to Mars (especially the spinning Gravity wheel).

But let's not forget that Mission to Mars (the film) was based off of the Disney attraction with the same name.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Right now, the poor bumped-so-many-times-in-the-refurb-queue Jungle Cruise will be getting major structural work done to the dock and load/unload, and the AAs will continute to be completely overhauled. No news on any additions.

If anything, it`ll be like October 1971 again. With more foliage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom