Modifications to the Jungle Cruise

tonythetigerasn

Original Poster
But guys, don't downplay your Jungle Cruise. As I also mentioned before, you've got a temple Disneyland doesn't have, as well as a downed airplane, and couple other things I'm forgetting right now. Honestly, I thought Disney World's put Disneyland's to shame.

I do like the cave, but I just think it's underused. For the only opportunity on the whole ride, Disney puts guests into a show building. Once inside a building, guests could be transported to virtually any world seamlessly by creative imagineering. Once inside, Disney has complete control over the ride experience; however, we merely see a tiger and some other amateur AAs and lighting. I would like wayyyyyyyyy more to be done inside.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You know darn well that that's not going to happen.

Why not, were not in Fantasyland anymore. This is
120px-WDW-Adventureland_sign.jpg

TP2000

I heard from a reliable source this weekend that the only way the Jungle Cruise will see a refurb is if the purported JC movie brings in $300 million like the Pirates franchise did.

What would that have anything to do with it? :confused:

Disneyland made major upgrades to its Jungle Cruise a couple of years ago, long before there was any announcement about a Jungle Cruise movie.

This doesn't need to be a major production; just rehab what already exists, tidy up the vegetation and infrastructure, and add some nifty new Disneyland-style effects like the exploding TNT in the river and the attacking pirahnas to freshen the experience. Then do routine maintenance on the upgraded facility every year or so with a two week rehab.

That's what Disneyland does with or without a big movie, so Magic Kingdom should be able to do the exact same thing. It's not rocket science.

Slowjack

I'll concede Mission:Space, although I'd guess 99% of attendees would never make the connection. The Soarin link is a bit of a stretch though. Patrick Warburton is all over the place in the Disney universe, and that's nothing new (ie-Rick Moranis in the 90's, Robin Williams seemingly forever). That doesn't make Soarin a tie-in at all though (unless we're using an extremely loose definition of the word). But, I'd concede a Disney trend toward using popular face talent (Rashad on Dinosaur, rumored Martin Short in Canada, Hans & Frans among others in the old Cranium Command, etc).

But the larger picture I think is that Disney believes park attendees expect tie-ins, and question when they're not there. I don't know if people actually do that or not, but I believe that's the perception they are working with.
I admitted the Warburton thing is loose...actually I thought of that because of an old Jim Hill article where he said that Disney didn't want to green light any new attractions that didn't have a tie-in to an existing property, no matter how tenuous. So Soarin' can go in the no tie-in category.

That said, I don't agree with the last point. Not only do I not think guests expect everything to be tied in, I don't even think Disney thinks that. Instead I think Disney thinks that the youngest children can be easily pleased by the appearance of Disney characters (and to a certain extent they are right). Also Disney can promote more sales of tied-in properties. But guests questioning when they aren't there? I don't think so! I mean, before Disney PrincessesTM started appearing at Akershus in Norway, I don't think guests were eating their head cheese and wondering where Cinderella was (if they were smart, they were wondering what head cheese was).:)

Slowjack

Actually, the Jungle Cruise was a Disney "tie-in."

It was meant to promote Disney's True Life Adventures wildlife television series.
I'm not sure that's exactly true. I mean, Jungle Cruise takes its inspiration from the same place, but that's not the same as saying one promotes the other. The ride was probably closer in concept to True Life Adventures when it was going to feature live animals. The boat design is clearly inspired by "The African Queen."

Slowjack

I've got no segue for this, but in writing my last posts I realized a subtle difference in the old and new Disney. While old Disney would certainly often use existing Disney characters in rides, it didn't usually come across as blatant cross promotion so much as just starting with an inspirational source. For example, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The film it was based on was never that popular and certainly had been mostly forgotten by the time WDW opened--the ride is better remembered by the world than the film is. Or 20,000 Leagues...the ride uses the (mega-cool) submarine design from the film, and you hear Nemo playing the organ, but the storyline of the ride has little to do with the film, and again, the film wasn't so popular at the time that WDW opened.

Now contrast to the new Disney. What's "hot" right now? Pixar, of course. So we get lots of Pixar attractions in a row (including three for Finding Nemo alone), as if Disney is saying, hey, we paid a lot for these guys, we're going to milk them for all they are worth.

Gran Fiesta would be an obvious exception to this, since that's based on an older property.

So maybe these tie-ins would go down with less bitterness if they weren't guided by the golden hand of synergy. Something where you could convince yourself it wasn't all part of a carefully crafted marketing campaign, but instead a character of story they could do something cool with. Just a thought!

darthjohnny

I'm not sure that's exactly true. I mean, Jungle Cruise takes its inspiration from the same place, but that's not the same as saying one promotes the other. The ride was probably closer in concept to True Life Adventures when it was going to feature live animals. The boat design is clearly inspired by "The African Queen."

The original Disneyland had attractions to promote everything Disney.

In a way, it was a way for people experience what they had seen in the movies and on T.V.

When you went on the Jungle Cruise, it was meant for you to think about True Life Adventures on T.V.

True, the ride isn't so tied in to the series. It isn't called True Life Adventures Boat Ride. But like I said, it drew inspiration from that, much like the Matterhorn is loosly based on that movie, The Third Man of the Mountain. (Not sure of the exact title.)

tirian

^^ All of Adventureland was related to the True-Life Adventure series because Walt appreciated a sense of adventure. Everyone's arguments are weak because you are forgetting two pivotal facts. Home video did not exist in the 1950s. The True-Life Adventures were not constantly circulating in theaters. In other words, Adventureland's inclusion in Disneyland was not solely to plug Disney merchandise.

p.s. The Jungle Cruise is, in fact, inspired by The African Queen. WDI and the WDC have said so many times.

Kalikala

I wouldn't mind seeing the AA technology on a few animals updated, but I hope they mostly keep it as is.

I have to disagree about adding more to the cave- JC is one of those rides that is great for any age, and just going into a dark(ish) cave can be scary enough for some kids.

Epcotian

I admitted the Warburton thing is loose...actually I thought of that because of an old Jim Hill article where he said that Disney didn't want to green light any new attractions that didn't have a tie-in to an existing property, no matter how tenuous. So Soarin' can go in the no tie-in category.

That said, I don't agree with the last point. Not only do I not think guests expect everything to be tied in, I don't even think Disney thinks that. Instead I think Disney thinks that the youngest children can be easily pleased by the appearance of Disney characters (and to a certain extent they are right). Also Disney can promote more sales of tied-in properties. But guests questioning when they aren't there? I don't think so! I mean, before Disney PrincessesTM started appearing at Akershus in Norway, I don't think guests were eating their head cheese and wondering where Cinderella was (if they were smart, they were wondering what head cheese was).:)

That's probably correct. My belief that Disney thinks people expect tie-ins of some sort probably comes from the old reasoning for the original addition of characters to Epcot more than anything. I remember reading in an older UG that Disney found people were expecting characters to be there also and so were added. My memory may be faulty though.

darthjohnny

^^ All of Adventureland was related to the True-Life Adventure series because Walt appreciated a sense of adventure. Everyone's arguments are weak because you are forgetting two pivotal facts. Home video did not exist in the 1950s. The True-Life Adventures were not constantly circulating in theaters. In other words, Adventureland's inclusion in Disneyland was not solely to plug Disney merchandise.

p.s. The Jungle Cruise is, in fact, inspired by The African Queen. WDI and the WDC have said so many times.

Yes. The Jungle Cruise was inspired by The African Queen (the boat, jungle setting, etc....)

I never said anything about video. I think True-Life Adventures was on T.V. Just like Davy Crockett was on T.V., which in a sense was what you were suppposed to experience in Frontierland.

Disney had even said it was meant to promote True-Life Adventures.

You forget, that even though Adventureland didn't soley represent True-Life Adventures and it wasn't put in to soley plug the Disney name, for years, the Jungle Cruise was the only thing in Adventureland (which was there to partly promote Disney's name and show).

WDWFigment

Gran Fiesta would be an obvious exception to this, since that's based on an older property.

I've always wondered what made Disney change that ride to feature the Three Caballeros. Maybe they just wanted to throw off everyone who says all the new attractions are being inspired by Pixar? :shrug: Maybe they just did it because they wanted a Disney film tie in, but Pixar has yet to make a Mexican themed film? I think everyone would've been a lot more happy had they just slapped some sombreros on the Incredibles... :p;)

JCBarbie

Jaws was a great white shark that lived in the Ocean....A cruise down a bright blue "Amazon River" would not be very authentic at all, and would seem very out of place.

True that, BUT if you watch old promo videos the water is blue, but those could have been videos of DL, I don't know what color their water is there.

Nicole220

True that, BUT if you watch old promo videos the water is blue, but those could have been videos of DL, I don't know what color their water is there.
It's green.

I'd like to see both versions (DL and MK) get some better/realistic AAs. I think it would be more impressive to see the animals actually moving, instead of just standing there motionless. Look at the time we live in, it's time to upgrade.

Fun2BFree

I've always wondered what made Disney change that ride to feature the Three Caballeros. Maybe they just wanted to throw off everyone who says all the new attractions are being inspired by Pixar? :shrug: Maybe they just did it because they wanted a Disney film tie in, but Pixar has yet to make a Mexican themed film? I think everyone would've been a lot more happy had they just slapped some sombreros on the Incredibles... :p;)

No, try Gran Fiesta Tour starring Ramone from Cars. ;) Besides, Donald Duck is very popular, and the Three Cabs are the best Disney characters to show you about Mexico.

erasure fan1

I do like the cave, but I just think it's underused. For the only opportunity on the whole ride, Disney puts guests into a show building. Once inside a building, guests could be transported to virtually any world seamlessly by creative imagineering. Once inside, Disney has complete control over the ride experience; however, we merely see a tiger and some other amateur AAs and lighting. I would like wayyyyyyyyy more to be done inside.
I totally agree. You go into the cave and once you leave you think, man was that it? At least upgrade the tiger to a killer AA that can maybe swipe at you or something. Over all, they need to just give a bit more life to the AAs they have and maybe add another scene. I would like to see waaaaay more too.

bassman

i think that the cave could be turned into a temple,one of the scenes could be a seramonial hall with tribesmen chanting and stuff.

one idea i had when thinking of this is a sort of great movie ride style extra cast memeber character coming in.
ok heres my idea,there is this big hall in the cave right with the men chanting and whatnot.
now the skipper could say something funny about him really wanting to be out of here,when the engine cuts out.we then hear a mans voice from the shadows saying something like "you should leave right now" he steps onto view revieling he is skipper dan from the cue line audio track (the one who reports the attacking tribesmen before his radio cuts out)his clothes are ripped and dirty and he looks worse for wear.
he then jumps on too the boat and the skipper says "and what are you doing?" and he says "well your not leaveing me here" this argument could go on for a minute or so until we hear a roar from the tiger, the skippers panic and kick the boat to start in up.
we then set off past a very realistic new AA of a tiger that swipes at the boat, all this time the skippers could be like a comedy double act,cracking funny jokes and such and this could keep going until you reach the "head salesman" guy,where there is a newly built jetty,this is where the 2nd skipper gets off and we pull into dock.

anyway its a rough idea but with a little disney magic and humour i think it could work.

what do you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom