Rumor Moana E-Ticket Ride to Adventureland

TTA94

I would love to see them completely revisit the MK Pirates and expand the attraction...without adding the Shanghai ride system, add a new show scene or two, give it a better finale ending... and give us a Blue Bayou float-through like every other version of Pirates... The Magic Kingdom version should honestly be better than at least one other version of Pirates...not the worst incarnation of the ride of all the Disney theme parks...

I fully agree. I wonder if an overhaul of Pirates and the whole area could happen along with the New Orleans rumor to tie into TBA? 🤔 Disneylands Pirates is located in New Orleans Square. But that will probably never happen, unless it has something to do with Moana coming and a large land overhaul along with it.

Bocabear

The Shanghhai Pirates setting is amazing...a whole village cobbled together with shipwreck materials... I would love to see them expand the area adding something like that... perhaps on the walkway back to the proposed Moana attraction area.... as a transition from the Spanish Colonial feel of the current Pirates area...

BrianLo

Unpopular opinion and it will never happen but I would prefer them replace MKs Pirates with Shanghai’s. I get it’s a classic but it could use an overhaul.

While I personally think it would be better... the last thing WDW needs to do again this decade is spend oodles of money and barely impact their overall park capacity.

Leave the 'good enough' stuff alone. Capacity expansions and targeted 'Turbocharging' for rides that are dramatically under-meeting their potential. Both from having consistent lines and consistent crowds; which Dinosaur and yes even CBJ qualify as. The other incredibly low hanging fruit is Imagination.

Rides do need maintenance still (like Space); but the majority of their capacity expansion pot needs to be spent on actual capacity expansion.

BrianLo

I'll interject briefly here. I've seen no one raise the obvious objection towards building a new Moana flume ride in Adventureland.

Flume rides mean that younger guests might be unable to go on the attraction. I assume that this Moana attraction is aimed at appealing to young children who enjoy the Moana film on Disney+. If so, a flume ride with a height requirement similar to Splash Mountain Tiana's Bayou Adventure (40 Inches) would disqualify many guests that this attraction would appeal to. I double checked the CDC guidance on what to expect for height measurements of children. It looks like most 4 year old girls would be unable to ride an attraction with a 40 Inch height limit. Even a portion of 5 year old girls would be losing out on the chance to see Moana. We could foresee a ride with a less-intense drop that could result in a lower height limit. But you'd still be cutting out 3 year old girls. And even if the ride can be safely ridden by these guests, there's no guarantee it would be enjoyable for the important 4-5 year old demographic.

If a Moana ride gets built, I expect it will be accessible to as many guests as possible. Disney's incentive is to provide an attraction similar to what they've just built at Fantasy Springs at Tokyo Disney Sea. Those rides are impressive, but they are not physically taxing. They prioritize audio animatronics, special effects, and music.

I could be totally misreading this, but I think they would be making a mistake to build a thrill ride when families really want something that is accessible to everyone. Just my two cents on the matter.

I'm quite certain Moana will not have a height requirement. Tiana is a special circumstance, Splash was a ride meant to target pre-teens. Still *mostly* everyone, but pre-teens.

Moana is a ride meant to target pre-schoolers, still everyone as Magic Kingdom usually successfully does, but discretely pre-schoolers.

eddie104

While I personally think it would be better... the last thing WDW needs to do again this decade is spend oodles of money and barely impact their overall park capacity.

Leave the 'good enough' stuff alone. Capacity expansions and targeted 'Turbocharging' for rides that are dramatically under-meeting their potential. Both from having consistent lines and consistent crowds; which Dinosaur and yes even CBJ qualify as. The other incredibly low hanging fruit is Imagination.

Rides do need maintenance still (like Space); but the majority of their capacity expansion pot needs to be spent on actual capacity expansion.
People have been banging the drum for capacity increases for the longest time.

But I’ve seen so many questionable posts asking Disney to tear down ICONIC attractions because they simply don’t like them.

I feel like I’m living in the twilight zone where up is down and right is left.

Can we actually build new rides on the land we are blessed with in Orlando for a change instead of re theming?

GenChi

I wonder how much of this project happening is based off the box office success of the Disneytoons level sequel heading to theaters, or if it might happen regardless. Especially since it seems the ride would be a rather large, major addition.

Sure, the Disney+ streams for the original seem to be very high and it probably will do well. But if it's a critical and/or commercial bomb like recent films that'll make things a bit interesting

ToTBellHop

I wonder how much of this project happening is based off the box office success of the Disneytoons level sequel heading to theaters, or if it might happen regardless. Especially since it seems the ride would be a rather large, major addition.

Sure, the Disney+ streams for the original seem to be very high and it probably will do well. But if it's a critical and/or commercial bomb like recent films that'll make things a bit interesting
It would just be quickly forgotten when the live action is released. One underperforming movie doesn’t have to kill a tentpole IP. See also: Indiana Jones

Tha Realest

It would just be quickly forgotten when the live action is released. One underperforming movie doesn’t have to kill a tentpole IP. See also: Indiana Jones
Yes, but the original Indiana Jones trilogy is arguably the best trilogy of films ever.

I think the concern is the rushed job and perceived quality (given it was originally produced as a TV series) of Moana 2.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I think the concern is the rushed job and perceived quality (given it was originally produced as a TV series) of Moana 2.
That's my main concern. I hope they have enough time to make it make sense and actually be a cohesive narrative. Although even if the film is bad and doesn't perform well, I don't think that will stop this ride from possibly being built.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I just don’t get this ride going in at Magic Kingdom. Do they need another water based ride with Pirates and Tiana right next door?

I think a Moana ‘flume’ type ride would have the biggest impact at DHS. That park needs a water based ride that has an area with lots of landscaping.
Personally, I don't think this really matters as long as the rides differentiate themselves enough and they don't feel similar. For example, I wouldn't consider it's a small world and pirates of the Caribbean to be similar rides despite them being the same ride system. As long as Moana is different and doesn't feel the same as the other ones. I don't have a problem with it.

doctornick

But I’ve seen so many questionable posts asking Disney to tear down ICONIC attractions because they simply don’t like them.

Can we actually build new rides on the land we are blessed with in Orlando for a change instead of re theming?
This. There’s certainly some rides that I may not enjoy as much as others but I still rather they exist for others to ride - and to keep wait times lower overall. I mean, I didn’t really care much for GMR by the end of its life - we mostly rode it because it was there and had a reasonable wait - and don’t really miss it in general but really think it was a terrible decision to get rid of it for MMRR given the attraction count at that park

GenChi

Sure, might not change too many plans if they think it's strong enough for a E-ticket. But one is 40+ year old legacy property which made 2 billion in the box office (one film being among the best grossing in US history) before it had one bomb, and the other is a less then a decade old singular film that did modestly at box office compared to other 2010s Disney/Pixar animation but is getting good streaming numbers the last several years.

A bomb would negatively affect it more then it would a franchise that proved its longevity. This is a expensive, large new infrastructure investment and not just a revamp like IJ will be, I'd expect if it's not announced or is blueskied at D23 that Moana 2's performance will play a major factor if it gets greenlit.

DisneyHead123

Maybe I’m blinded by Disney fandom, but I don’t think it would be hyperbolic to say that some Disney World / Land rides are almost American landmarks at this point.

999th Happy Haunt

I just don’t get this ride going in at Magic Kingdom. Do they need another water based ride with Pirates and Tiana right next door?

I think a Moana ‘flume’ type ride would have the biggest impact at DHS. That park needs a water based ride that has an area with lots of landscaping.
It fits Adventureland perfect. Magic Kingdom needs more capacity. It likely will not be too much like Pirates or Tiana, besides being in a boat.

Why complain over a rumored ride that fits well into the park it could be in?

ToTBellHop

That's my main concern. I hope they have enough time to make it make sense and actually be a cohesive narrative. Although even if the film is bad and doesn't perform well, I don't think that will stop this ride from possibly being built.
I don’t think Iger is a complete idiot. He’s well aware of recent box office failures. I have to believe he got details about the Moana series and thought it was too good for a series and should be a movie.

Deciding to put movies on Disney+ instead of theaters is interesting, however. There is an implicit admission that it’s not very good but that trash movies are good enough for your streaming service.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
If Moana is really as popular as everyone claims it is, I don't think the sequel should have any trouble at the box office
Pretty much every stat we have shows that Moana is the biggest Disney movie since frozen and has remained incredibly popular. I honestly think it’s Disney’s best animated film potentially ever.

But also, lots of disney sequels to massive films have flopped and it’s never kept a brilliant, beloved film from staying relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom