Rumor Moana E-Ticket Ride to Adventureland

LSLS

I'll interject briefly here. I've seen no one raise the obvious objection towards building a new Moana flume ride in Adventureland.

Flume rides mean that younger guests might be unable to go on the attraction. I assume that this Moana attraction is aimed at appealing to young children who enjoy the Moana film on Disney+. If so, a flume ride with a height requirement similar to Splash Mountain Tiana's Bayou Adventure (40 Inches) would disqualify many guests that this attraction would appeal to. I double checked the CDC guidance on what to expect for height measurements of children. It looks like most 4 year old girls would be unable to ride an attraction with a 40 Inch height limit. Even a portion of 5 year old girls would be losing out on the chance to see Moana. We could foresee a ride with a less-intense drop that could result in a lower height limit. But you'd still be cutting out 3 year old girls. And even if the ride can be safely ridden by these guests, there's no guarantee it would be enjoyable for the important 4-5 year old demographic.

If a Moana ride gets built, I expect it will be accessible to as many guests as possible. Disney's incentive is to provide an attraction similar to what they've just built at Fantasy Springs at Tokyo Disney Sea. Those rides are impressive, but they are not physically taxing. They prioritize audio animatronics, special effects, and music.

I could be totally misreading this, but I think they would be making a mistake to build a thrill ride when families really want something that is accessible to everyone. Just my two cents on the matter.
I would guess it closer to like Pirates or Frozen than Tiana. But I would tend to agree a bit with you if they do put in something with a height limit, especially for a brand new build, and the first anything with Moana herself, I think that could be a bit of a miss.

Robbiem

Disney could build a Moana ride using the shanghai pirates ride system for a less thrilling wow type ride.

I could see a Moana attraction whatever it ends up being as the next franchise attraction like Frozen. It could easily fit in any of the castle parks, Disneysea (in a new port) or Animal Kingdom

AEfx

Had you been closer to Jackie Chan
I shook his hand once! LOL. At Planet Hollywood in NYC, like 25 years ago - I was just there for lunch, had no idea anything was going on, and suddenly as I'm paying the bill, Jackie Chan walks in, and it was like a Disney character meal, he just walked around and shook hands with a huge smile on his face for everyone. And boy, did he of course have a grip on him! One of the most shockingly nice celebrities I ever "met".

doctornick

There are no plans to build a new Splash Mountain TBA next to Splash Mountain TBA.

The art we've seen - admittedly haphazardly pasted into a quick AK rendering - was more to suggest ride experience than actual construction.

Somewhere along the line, I feel like it was implied that this ride is supposed to have a more controlled/smaller drop if one is included in this experience. I don't think the ride mechanics are going to be a log flume like Splash with free fall down a large height, but perhaps something more like the Shanghai POTC ride system or perhaps this ride system that Disney patented and seems tailor made for Moana.

ToTBellHop

My guess (based on nothing but what we already know) is that the ride would be a version of Shanghai Pirates, but not necessarily a 1-1. I feel like it will takes it's inspiration from some of those ride mechanics while implementing a few new tricks of it's own. If they follow through I feel like this ride has some real potential!
Could definitely see it as a candidate for that ride system. I agree it’s a good fit for the IP. Bob loves Moana so he’d have no issue approving a big ride for the IP.

Timothy_Q

I feel like if not even DisneySea's E ticket Frozen ride used the SDL Pirates system, the chances of WDW getting it are very slim

Brer Panther

You think this Moana ride would be a book report or one of those "set after the movie but rehashes it" rides like Frozen Ever After and The Seas With Nemo and Friends?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
My guess (based on nothing but what we already know) is that the ride would be a version of Shanghai Pirates, but not necessarily a 1-1. I feel like it will takes it's inspiration from some of those ride mechanics while implementing a few new tricks of it's own. If they follow through I feel like this ride has some real potential!
The going underwater scene on Shanghai's Pirates would lend itself nicely to a visit to the Realm of Monsters.

UNCgolf

That was by design, though - a different ride system was desired for the TDS Frozen ride.

It's not like they wanted the SDL Pirates ride system and settled for something cheaper.

I'm not the biggest fan of Frozen Journey, but I think it would be worse if it was using the SDL Pirates system. I don't see how that would have worked well for Frozen in general.

UNCgolf

Unpopular opinion and it will never happen but I would prefer them replace MKs Pirates with Shanghai’s. I get it’s a classic but it could use an overhaul.

Yeah, I'm definitely the opposite. I don't think the Shanghai one is as good as classic POTC and such a move would be a downgrade. I'm admittedly nowhere near as high on Shanghai Pirates as others, though -- it's a good attraction, but it's too screen heavy in places which really detracts from the experience.

I'd definitely like to see the ride system at WDW, but I think they can build a better attraction with it. It needs more physical sets/AAs and fewer sections where you're simply watching a movie play around you as you move.

That said, if they really wanted to clone it instead of designing a new/better attraction with the system, they could tear up Jungle Cruise and put it there.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

There’s no reason to believe Bob won’t approve a system for WDW that he approved for SDL. We can’t exactly claim he’s gone cheap on ride systems at WDW in the last decade.

Does Bob even approve ride systems? In most companies the size of Disney, the CEO probably wouldn't be very involved in decisions on that level. The CEO would sign off on a budget (possibly with some directives, such as only using current IP) and then it would up to the parks executive leadership to implement. It wouldn't be surprising for it to go to the CEO for final sign-off considering the spend involved, but they likely wouldn't get too into the granular details of stuff like ride systems.

It'd be easier for me to believe Eisner was involved at that level since he was apparently far more into the parks than Iger is, and the company was smaller then too.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Yeah, I'm definitely the opposite. I don't think the Shanghai one is as good as classic POTC and such a move would be a downgrade. I'm admittedly nowhere near as high on Shanghai Pirates as others, though -- it's a good attraction, but it's too screen heavy in places which really detracts from the experience.

I'd definitely like to see the ride system at WDW, but I think they can build a better attraction with it. It needs more physical sets/AAs and fewer sections where you're simply watching a movie play around you as you move.

That said, if they really wanted to clone it instead of designing a new/better attraction with the system, they could tear up Jungle Cruise and put it there.
I would love to see them completely revisit the MK Pirates and expand the attraction...without adding the Shanghai ride system, add a new show scene or two, give it a better finale ending... and give us a Blue Bayou float-through like every other version of Pirates... The Magic Kingdom version should honestly be better than at least one other version of Pirates...not the worst incarnation of the ride of all the Disney theme parks...

ToTBellHop

Does Bob even approve ride systems? In most companies the size of Disney, the CEO probably wouldn't be very involved in decisions on that level. The CEO would sign off on a budget (possibly with some directives, such as only using current IP) and then it would up to the parks executive leadership to implement. It wouldn't be surprising for it to go to the CEO for final sign-off considering the spend involved, but they likely wouldn't get too into the granular details of stuff like ride systems.

It'd be easier for me to believe Eisner was involved at that level since he was apparently far more into the parks than Iger is, and the company was smaller then too.
The implication was that this ride system is too expensive and that he’d cut $100 million off and force a traditional boat ride. I was pointing out that he’s happy to approve huge budgets for favorite IPs. It’s why I think Indy will be phenomenal. He’s not afraid to spend on an IP like Indy and the ride system is already there, so the money will go toward theming and effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom