Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Moana 2 and Wicked no longer share the same release date as Wicked is now set to release 5 days earlier on November 22.

So Uni blinked, doesn't think it can compete head-to-head against Moana 2. So they want to get a head start on the box office.

BrianLo

Ya, while a rising tide raises all ships, there was just too much demographic overlap between these two for them to both open well on the same weekend. Millennial woman v. Millennial mom's with Gen Alpha kids.

It was a good move, I think Wicked would have been the one to inappropriately suffer. Both will play well inevitably over the holidays when the pressure of a choice matters less in their long tails.

Ghost93

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think it's criminal negligence to refer to "Wicked: Part I" as just "Wicked."

As much as the totality of Wicked appeals to me, being two parts gives me pause to just wait until both parts are on streaming and seeing them together.

It's going to have to be *really good* in order not to have happen to it what happened to the recent West Side Story.

Anyhoo, seeing what Inside Out 2 has done, it would also be criminal negligence to put one's movie up against Moana 2 given that Moana is significantly more popular than Inside Out.

Tha Realest

As much as the totality of Wicked appeals to me, being two parts gives me pause to just wait until both parts are on streaming and seeing them together.

It's going to have to be *really good* in order not to have happen to it what happened to the recent West Side Story.

Anyhoo, seeing what Inside Out 2 has done, it would also be criminal negligence to put one's movie up against Moana 2 given that Moana is significantly more popular than Inside Out.
I think it’s negligence to refer to “Moana: The Disney+ Series” as “Moana 2.”

Phroobar

Maybe part 2 will be called "Wicker"

BrianLo

I’m also not sure how they’ll handle the second movie. I don’t think the second act is remotely as strong, which doesn’t matter in a musical as much with a 15 minute intermission.

But they’ll have burned through the Wizard and I, Popular and Defying Gravity. The first movie can probably just pad out some additional dialogue and character scenes. The second movie is going to need new songs.

I agree that they are definitely ‘hiding’ the part 1/2 thing, which is an very interesting move.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m also not sure how they’ll handle the second movie. I don’t think the second act is remotely as strong, which doesn’t matter in a musical as much with a 15 minute intermission.

But they’ll have burned through the Wizard and I, Popular and Defying Gravity. The first movie can probably just pad out some additional dialogue and character scenes. The second movie is going to need new songs.

I agree that they are definitely ‘hiding’ the part 1/2 thing, which is an very interesting move.
Reprises! Nothing but reprises!!!

;)

Phroobar

I think you are right. Act II is kind of the b-sides.

Act I songs​

1. No One Mourns The Wicked
  2. Dear Old Shiz
  3. The Wizard and I
  4. What is This Feeling?
  5. Something Bad
  6. Dancing Through Life
  7. Popular
  8. I'm Not That Girl
  9. One Short Day
  10. A Sentimental Man
  11. Defying Gravity

Act II songs​

1. Thank Goodness
  2. The Wicked Witch Of The East
  3. Wonderful
  4. I'm Not That Girl (reprise)
  5. As Long As You're Mine
  6. No Good Deed
  7. March Of The Witch Hunters
  8. For Good
  9. Finale

BrianLo

I think you are right. Act II is kind of the b-sides.

Act I songs​

1. No One Mourns The Wicked
  2. Dear Old Shiz
  3. The Wizard and I
  4. What is This Feeling?
  5. Something Bad
  6. Dancing Through Life
  7. Popular
  8. I'm Not That Girl
  9. One Short Day
  10. A Sentimental Man
  11. Defying Gravity

Act II songs​

1. Thank Goodness
  2. The Wicked Witch Of The East
  3. Wonderful
  4. I'm Not That Girl (reprise)
  5. As Long As You're Mine
  6. No Good Deed
  7. March Of The Witch Hunters
  8. For Good
  9. Finale

I always thought that when everyone was listening to it in my University days. The first act is a banger and the second act is actually not that strong. Which doesn’t matter in the least with a coherent single product.

@MisterPenguin is right, they are going to inappropriately reprise at least one of their big songs.

Phroobar

I remember seeing Wicked at the Pantages Theater years ago. It was good but nothing I would see more than once. I liked the Wiz better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom