Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

Miss Rori

Moana 2 might have to struggle for IMAX and other large-format screens -- Wicked Part One and Gladiator 2 opening the same day will probably mean they'll have to split showtimes (say, the first movie gets the matinees and the latter the nighttime screenings; this happened last Christmas with Wonka and Aquaman 2) as is, so Moana 2 might have to settle for matinees only the following week depending on how well those films perform.

Miss Rori

I agree that they are definitely ‘hiding’ the part 1/2 thing, which is an very interesting move.
A lot of people seem to forget that Dune did the same thing back in 2021. The actual title of the movie is Dune Part One, but the posters, etc. didn't say as much.

BrianLo

A lot of people seem to forget that Dune did the same thing back in 2021. The actual title of the movie is Dune Part One, but the posters, etc. didn't say as much.

That's very true, but with the title missing as well, this is a particularly egregious case. The only reason I even know it's being hidden is people bringing it up here.

I don't mind per say, as the first act is good enough to support a movie. But it's a purposeful choice they are making that I wonder if there will be any backlash over.

Tha Realest

Wonder if this now means Moana 2 will get IMAX screens.
These things are contracted out well in advance, and doesn’t look like there’s any room on the dance card, alas.

1720034853205.png

Miss Rori

Of course that’s what happens to films that were TV shows a few months ago.
I admit I didn't even consider that would be an issue with Moana 2 -- it wasn't intended for theaters or even the Burbank unit, so it's even doubtful it could be optimized for IMAX, Dolby Cinema, etc. in less than a year on top of everything else that has to be changed (3D is another story). At least they'll get their premium screens with Mufasa - The Lion King at the end of December, presumably.

Tha Realest

I admit I didn't even consider that would be an issue with Moana 2 -- it wasn't intended for theaters or even the Burbank unit, so it's even doubtful it could be optimized for IMAX, Dolby Cinema, etc. in less than a year on top of everything else that has to be changed (3D is another story). At least they'll get their premium screens with Mufasa - The Lion King at the end of December, presumably.
Oh it hadn’t occurred to me to think about the resolution / scale issue. I was thinking moreso the jockeying that goes on for IMAX screen access:

Miss Rori

Oh it hadn’t occurred to me to think about the resolution / scale issue. I was thinking moreso the jockeying that goes on for IMAX screen access:
Yeah, I get what you mean. It's just that even if Moana 2 had an in at this late date - like what happened with The Marvels last year when Dune Part Two was pushed back - it would have to be an IMAX-optimized title. My understanding is that all recent Pixar and Disney in-house animated films are optimized for IMAX, Dolby Cinema, 3D, etc. (including the ones that ended up sent straight to streaming), but Moana 2 wasn't intended for theaters from the get go.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's just that even if Moana 2 had an in at this late date - like what happened with The Marvels last year when Dune Part Two was pushed back - it would have to be an IMAX-optimized title. My understanding is that all recent Pixar and Disney in-house animated films are optimized for IMAX, Dolby Cinema, 3D, etc. (including the ones that ended up sent straight to streaming), but Moana 2 wasn't intended for theaters from the get go.
That sort of work would be done towards the end of production.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Five days. They’re not losing their IMAX rights over five days.
Why are you privy to the contract, do you know that for a fact?

As Wicked moved dates it lost any guaranteed rights to those screens for those dates. And would also have to have a new contract for the new dates. And as Gladiator 2 is opening the same weekend as Wicked and already has its own IMAX release, Wicked would be fighting for the premium formats including IMAX for its opening weekend. If Uni's goal was to lock up IMAX for Wicked they really blundered on that one, they should have kept Wicked Thanksgiving release date.

Its also not unusual for a movie to only have one weekend of IMAX screens.

Now I'm not saying that Disney is going to have an IMAX release with Moana 2. I'm just saying that with Wicked moving release dates it opens up the possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom